Author Topic: Military selects rarely used charge for Bowe Bergdahl case  (Read 539 times)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Military selects rarely used charge for Bowe Bergdahl case
« on: September 07, 2015, 05:33:04 pm »
RALEIGH, N.C. — Military prosecutors have reached into a section of military law seldom used since World War II in the politically fraught case against Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, the soldier held prisoner for years by the Taliban after leaving his post in Afghanistan.

Observers wondered for months if Bergdahl would be charged with desertion after the deal brokered by the U.S. to bring him home. He was — but he was also charged with misbehavior before the enemy, a much rarer offense that carries a stiffer potential penalty in this case.

"I've never seen it charged," Walter Huffman, a retired major general who served as the Army's top lawyer, said of the misbehavior charge. "It's not something you find in common everyday practice in the military."

Bergdahl could face a life sentence if convicted of the charge, which accuses him of endangering fellow soldiers when he "left without authority; and wrongfully caused search and recovery operations."

Huffman and others say the misbehavior charge allows authorities to allege that Bergdahl not only left his unit with one less soldier, but that his deliberate action put soldiers who searched for him in harm's way. The Pentagon has said there is no evidence anyone died searching for Bergdahl.

"You're able to say that what he did had a particular impact or put particular people at risk. It is less generic than just quitting," said Lawrence Morris, a retired Army colonel who served as the branch's top prosecutor and top public defender.

The Obama administration has been criticized both for agreeing to release five Taliban operatives from the Guantanamo Bay prison and for heralding Bergdahl's return to the U.S. with an announcement in the White House Rose Garden. The administration stood by the way it secured his release even after the charges were announced.

snip
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Military selects rarely used charge for Bowe Bergdahl case
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 05:35:13 pm »
It is so common on "conservative" forums to state that nothing will happen to Bergdahl, because the only ranking officers in the US military are Obama stooges, etc.

Well apparently in this case, that line of posting is wrong.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline EdinVA

Military selects rarely used charge for Bergdahl case
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 09:04:38 pm »
Observers wondered for months if Bergdahl would be charged with desertion after the deal brokered by the U.S. to bring him home. He was — but he was also charged with misbehavior before the enemy, a much rarer offense that carries a stiffer potential penalty in this case.

"I've never seen it charged," Walter Huffman, a retired major general who served as the Army's top lawyer, said of the misbehavior charge. "It's not something you find in common everyday practice in the military."

"I've never seen it charged."

- Walter Huffman, a retired major general

Bergdahl could face a life sentence if convicted of the charge, which accuses him of endangering fellow soldiers when he "left without authority; and wrongfully caused search and recovery operations."
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/09/07/to-hold-bergdahl-accountable-military-selects-section-military-code-rarely-used/?intcmp=hplnws

Offline flowers

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 09:17:48 pm »
But wait..........I know I heard Susan Rice say he served with distinction and honor. Yeah I know I heard that.  :smokin:

Offline flowers

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 09:25:58 pm »
But wait..........I know I heard Susan Rice say he served with distinction and honor. Yeah I know I heard that.  :smokin:
Oh wait, I also know I watched obama in the Rose Garden saying how Bowe was a hero or some such thing. Oh wait....he is a hero to obama, because of Bowe 6 brave men died trying to find him. I also remember Bowe wiping a tear from his eye in the back of that car when he was rescued.  **nononono*

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 09:27:30 pm »
It is so common on "conservative" forums to state that nothing will happen to Bergdahl, because the only ranking officers in the US military are Obama stooges, etc.

Well apparently in this case, that line of posting is wrong.

We'll see.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 12:44:59 am »
truth_seeker wrote above:
[[ It is so common on "conservative" forums to state that nothing will happen to Bergdahl, because the only ranking officers in the US military are Obama stooges, etc.
Well apparently in this case, that line of posting is wrong. ]]

Prediction:
After his trial and sentencing, and just before he leaves office, obama will pardon Bergdahl, stating that he has "suffered enough" and "paid his debt" by his time in captivity.

Wait and see...

Oceander

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2015, 01:21:04 am »
truth_seeker wrote above:
[[ It is so common on "conservative" forums to state that nothing will happen to Bergdahl, because the only ranking officers in the US military are Obama stooges, etc.
Well apparently in this case, that line of posting is wrong. ]]

Prediction:
After his trial and sentencing, and just before he leaves office, obama will pardon Bergdahl, stating that he has "suffered enough" and "paid his debt" by his time in captivity.

Wait and see...

Probably.

Offline flowers

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2015, 06:14:26 pm »
The mere fact he is not in  prison  right now and able to play around in Cali with pot dealers shows exactly how harsh his sentence will be. 
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 06:15:30 pm by flowers »