Author Topic: What will Nancy Pelosi make Boehner do to save his Speakership?  (Read 972 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
What will Nancy Pelosi make Boehner do to save his Speakership?
« on: September 06, 2015, 01:09:55 pm »
http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2015/09/what_will_nancy_pelosi_make_boehner_do_to_save_his_speakership.html

September 6, 2015
What will Nancy Pelosi make Boehner do to save his Speakership?
By Ed Straker

When someone challenges the Speaker of the House (by a technical procedure known as declaring the office of the speakership "vacant"), usually the leadership holds what is basically a vote of confidence immediately to show that a majority of the members still support the Speaker. Otherwise it raises doubts about whether the Speaker still has the support of the majority of the members.

But that's not what happened when Rep. Mark Meadows declared the office of the speaker vacant in late July in protest against the accomodationist policies of Speaker John Boehner. The House didn't hold any kind of vote at all, and the delay is telling.

Meadows, one of 24 members who at the beginning of this Congress voted for a Republican alternative to Boehner alongside one—Rep. Brian Babin (R-TX) who voted “present,” which was technically a meaningless vote—believes it’s safe to assume that that 25 members will vote once again to remove Boehner as Speaker of the House should he bring his motion to vacate the chair up as a privileged resolution in the fall. At least three more—Reps. Rep. Raul Labrador (R-ID), Rep. Mick Mulvaney (R-SC), and Rep. Matt Salmon (R-AZ)—have publicly pledged they will join him. Several more, including major power player conservatives, have behind the scenes promised they will not support Boehner’s re-election as Speaker.  If every member of the House is present and votes, then the benchmark for Boehner to lose re-election is that 29 Republicans must vote to get rid of him—assuming no Democrats vote for Boehner. With 28 now publicly opposed to his re-election, as many more are privately opposed to his re-election, it looks more and more likely that if such a vote came up—Meadows or any other member could force it within two days of offering the motion as a privileged resolution—Boehner would not be re-elected without help from the Democratic Party. If Boehner loses re-election, then the House will go into a briefly chaotic process of finding a new Speaker before more official business can be conducted. That person could be any citizen of the United States, but more likely than not will be a different member of the House than Boehner.

So it looks like Boehner will need Democratic support to stay as Speaker, which would be unprecedented. That means Boehner would be at Nancy Pelosi's mercy. She could demand anything from him and likely get it.

Of course, she is already getting most of what she wants. Boehner has passed spending bills fully funding Obamacare. He has fully funded Obama's illegal amnesty. He has fully funded Planned Parenthood, and the Export-Import Bank. He has refused to set up any select committees to investigate Obama. He has been cooperative on Obamatrade and the Iran deal and many other issues. It's not clear what else she could demand of him, but it seems from here out that Boehner will be her hostage. And I suspect we'll see a lot more of this.

Exit question: Will Republicans tolerate a situation where the Republican Speaker is only speaker by virtue of Democratic votes?
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: What will Nancy Pelosi make Boehner do to save his Speakership?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 01:16:21 pm »
Exit question: Will Republicans tolerate a situation where the Republican Speaker is only speaker by virtue of Democratic votes?

I can only tell you that despite very large republican majorities in both houses of the legislature in Texas the current Speaker of the Texas House is there only because of Democrat votes and has been for several sessions now.

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 09:34:56 am »
http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2015/09/what_will_nancy_pelosi_make_boehner_do_to_save_his_speakership.html

It won't come to that.  If Boehner didn't have the votes he would walk, and be replaced by another establishment Rep. like McCarthy.  Too bad so sad, life goes on.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 10:56:16 am »

What is their choice?  If the rank and file republicans are unwilling to man up then they are stuck with what the dems give them.
When you stand for nothing, someone else takes over.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 01:04:20 pm »
It won't come to that.  If Boehner didn't have the votes he would walk, and be replaced by another establishment Rep. like McCarthy.  Too bad so sad, life goes on.

You're right about that and it is sad! Sad that the inside the beltway party comes before all else with these people!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 01:06:28 pm »

If Boehner had the guts to walk he would not be in this situation.
He will hang on until they throw him out.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 01:12:40 pm »
If Boehner had the guts to walk he would not be in this situation.
He will hang on until they throw him out.

You are likely right about that Ed. He won't walk because he has nothing else and would no longer be protected if he were speaker.

Never-the-less IF he is removed he will be replaced with one of his butt boys and nothing much will change.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2015, 01:15:43 pm »
You are likely right about that Ed. He won't walk because he has nothing else and would no longer be protected if he were speaker.

Never-the-less IF he is removed he will be replaced with one of his butt boys and nothing much will change.

Unfortunately, you are correct Bigun.  The only thing that ever changes the status quo is revolution. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2015, 01:17:06 pm »

:beer:

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2015, 01:21:13 pm »
Not speaker. My above should read NOT speaker.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2015, 01:24:23 pm »

We knew bigun... go get some more coffee ..  :laugh:

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2015, 01:33:40 pm »

Most of us here assembled dearly wish he was "not".  :beer:

I would prefer that Boehner step aside voluntarily, retiring to a presumably quieter life of being a highly-paid lobbyist with a well-stocked liquor cabinet and an extensive doll collection.

But if he wishes to fight it out, I'd dare say he's made enough enemies on both sides to validate a minor coup.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn