Author Topic: Woman impregnated by mistake with black man’s sperm loses court case  (Read 750 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
 A legal claim by a woman who gave birth to a mixed race baby after accidentally being impregnated with a black man’s sperm has been dismissed by a judge in Illinois.

Jennifer Cramblett sought damages from the Midwest Sperm Bank of Downers Grove, Illinois for wrongful birth and breach of warranty, the Chicago Tribune reported.

Ms Cramblett and her same sex partner bought sperm from the sperm bank.

But because of a clerical error, she was sent sperm provided by a black donor.

Ms Cramblett told the court that she did love her mixed race daughter, Peyton, who is now aged three.

But because of her upbringing she had stereotypical attitudes about black people and had “limited cultural competency” when dealing with African-Americans.

The sperm bank has apologised and paid a partial refund.

Dismissing the case, Judge Ronald Sutter, said a “wrongful birth” claim could only be sustained where testing had failed to reveal risks of hereditary or congenital disorders.

However Ms Cramblett has been invited to resubmit her claim on the grounds of negligence.

She is due back in court on December 17.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/11847104/Woman-impregnated-by-mistake-with-black-mans-sperm-loses-court-case.html

:shrug:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Paladin

Re: Woman impregnated by mistake with black man’s sperm loses court case
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 01:39:37 am »
"Jennifer Cramblett sought damages from the Midwest Sperm Bank of Downers Grove, Illinois for wrongful birth and breach of warranty, the Chicago Tribune reported."

Is her suit indicative of racism?
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 01:47:47 am »
Probably. More worrying is it is indicative of the further commodification of children - "this one's defective, replace it."
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline raml

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 04:18:48 am »
The one being hurt here is the child. Shame on that woman a child is a child and lovable no matter their color how could a grown up say such about her own child in court. She can't take those words back they are in the record someday when that child is grown she may find these records. I just want to beat this woman over the head to give her some common sense.

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 04:20:41 am »
But because of her upbringing she had stereotypical attitudes about black people and had “limited cultural competency” when dealing with African-Americans.

What the ...?

So culture is inborn, eh?  Funny that, coming from a queer.