Author Topic: Rand Paul: Dick Cheney 'Wrong' About Almost Every Foreign Policy Decision  (Read 20090 times)

bkepley

Re: Rand Paul: Dick Cheney 'Wrong' About Almost Every Foreign Policy Decision
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2015, 01:03:41 am »
Transcending ignorance is not surrendering to it.

You know the best thing about all this is Cards vs. Pirates.

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2015, 01:05:36 am »
So, your prescription is, turn the other cheek, yellow ribbons all round... yep, that'll work

I'll take that over making the problem worse, which is exactly what we did.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2015, 01:13:53 am »
bkepley wrote above:
[[ Not only that but I still don't know what should have been done other than kill Sadaam. ]]

A couple of days after the World Trade Center attack, Ann Coulter said quite plainly three things that needed to be done in the struggle we faced with islam.

In both Afghanistan and Iraq, we accomplished the first two of Ann's three things.

The reason we lost in both places -- and the reason why The West is losing the battle with islam -- is because we ignored the "third thing" that Ms. Coulter should be done.

I didn't have any problems with G.W. Bush & Co. invading Iraq.... UNTIL...
... I read that the NEW Iraqi "constitutional government", in one of its first actions, chose to make islam the "state religion".

From that moment, I knew all our efforts in that place were for naught...

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2015, 01:23:37 am »
I'll take that over making the problem worse, which is exactly what we did.

Our politicians never allowed our military to fight to win, we allowed political correctness to determine battle strategy, we still are not able to say the words islamic terrorists.
Neither bush or obama had the guts to stand tall and take the heat.
We have had cowards in charge of our military for decades.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 01:23:55 am by EdinVA »

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2015, 01:31:06 am »
Our politicians never allowed our military to fight to win, we allowed political correctness to determine battle strategy, we still are not able to say the words islamic terrorists.
Neither bush or obama had the guts to stand tall and take the heat.
We have had cowards in charge of our military for decades.

You've been misled for the sake of the military-industrial complex and others that profit from war. Islamic extremism cannot be defeated with bombs. It makes me sad to think many of you will never realize that.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 01:39:44 am by Dexter »
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Oceander

« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2015, 02:42:06 am »
You've been misled for the sake of the military-industrial complex and others that profit from war. Islamic extremism cannot be defeated with bombs. It makes me sad to think many of you will never realize that.

And you've been equally misled.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2015, 01:03:38 pm »
If one of you would show me the information he's referring to I would love to read it. I'm not going to comb through Google results for 3 hours in an attempt to find whatever he was vaguely talking about.

You're not going to 'comb through' anything to come up with facts that don't support your rabid pacifism.

There could be a hundred brilliant people defusing your arguments, and you'd ignore them all.

It's what you do....

Sing Kumbaya, while the world is burning down around you.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2015, 01:06:53 pm »
You're not going to 'comb through' anything to come up with facts that don't support your rabid pacifism.

There could be a hundred brilliant people defusing your arguments, and you'd ignore them all.

It's what you do....

Sing Kumbaya, while the world is burning down around you.

That is certainly his history on this site anyway!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2015, 01:36:46 pm »
What's wrong with his foreign policy? Why is isolationism irrational?

See the run up to WW II, and to a lesser degree, WW I.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

bkepley

« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2015, 01:41:42 pm »

Isolationism doesn't mean you don't respond when attacked.  What Dexter advocates is extreme pacifism not isolationism.

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #60 on: September 05, 2015, 01:42:12 pm »

Take a look at Viet Nam, pal. Same political cowardice, same U.S troops and policy sacrificed. And yeah, you can defeat extremism with bombs. Just takes lots of bombs, and the WILL to use them.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #61 on: September 05, 2015, 01:42:34 pm »

"Lend-Lease" was a brilliant military maneuver leading up to our participation in WWII.

At least through the eyes of an historian.    :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #62 on: September 05, 2015, 01:45:34 pm »
Isolationism doesn't mean you don't respond when attacked.  What Dexter advocates is extreme pacifism not isolationism.

Isolationism sends all the wrong signals to potential attackers. Adolf Hitler figured U.S isolationism into his computations. He knew Roosevelt wanted at him, but also knew Roosevelt wouldn't be able to while he dealt with England and France. In WW I, the Germans were able to estimate, with a great degree of accuracy how long it would take for the U.S to 'gear up' to engage in combat.

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2015, 01:49:11 pm »
"Lend-Lease" was a brilliant military maneuver leading up to our participation in WWII.

At least through the eyes of an historian.    :laugh:

One of the unforeseen results of Lend-Lease was that it convinced Hitler that at some point FDR was going to get into the European war [which he had been mightily trying to do since at least 1940]. It was one of the major reasons Hitler blundered by declaring war on the U.S on December 11, 1941. If he hadn't, Roosevelt would have been hard pressed to  get the U.S. Congress to declare war on Germany.

Offline evadR

« Reply #64 on: September 05, 2015, 03:02:22 pm »
Take a look at Viet Nam, pal. Same political cowardice, same U.S troops and policy sacrificed. And yeah, you can defeat extremism with bombs. Just takes lots of bombs, and the WILL to use them.
W O R D !!
..and we've got a lot more tools than just bombs.  Use 'em.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #65 on: September 05, 2015, 03:35:18 pm »
Islamic extremism cannot be defeated with bombs.
Japanese and German extremism WAS defeated by bombs. By bombs and by enough troops to occupy and hold the nation to their unconditional surrender.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

bkepley

« Reply #66 on: September 05, 2015, 03:46:10 pm »
Japanese and German extremism WAS defeated by bombs. By bombs and by enough troops to occupy and hold the nation to their unconditional surrender.

Who do you suggest we occupy?

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #67 on: September 05, 2015, 04:39:55 pm »
I stated the historical fact that we bombed and got unconditional surrender and then occupied with sufficient numbers of troop, the last time we won decisive victory in major wars.

Oceander

« Reply #68 on: September 05, 2015, 04:41:33 pm »

Iraq and Syria would be good places to start, provided we had the willingness to do what we had to in order to get the compliance we had from Germany and Japan after WWII.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #69 on: September 05, 2015, 05:34:06 pm »
The problem is you won't have the willingness to do what needs to be done to get that level of compliance.

Arabs (in general) are NOT Westerners. They react a lot more like the Japanese. If you want their compliance you have, basically, to terrify them and keep on terrifying them until their great grandchildren will be born with an ingrained fear of you.

Nukes worked on the Japanese (about the only thing that would at the time) but they WILL NOT WORK for this fight. You aren't fighting a nation, with cities and ports and strategic resources. You are fighting an ideology and thus will have to apply the terror retail rather than wholesale.

Your military is admirable. Honorable men and women and they'd simply not stand for it. Nor would the populace. Lets face it, a quarter of the population of the West already consider anyone in uniform to be subhuman baby killers and another quarter of the population are basically too decent to go along with it in the first place.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Oceander

« Reply #70 on: September 05, 2015, 05:42:24 pm »
The problem is you won't have the willingness to do what needs to be done to get that level of compliance.

Arabs (in general) are NOT Westerners. They react a lot more like the Japanese. If you want their compliance you have, basically, to terrify them and keep on terrifying them until their great grandchildren will be born with an ingrained fear of you.

Nukes worked on the Japanese (about the only thing that would at the time) but they WILL NOT WORK for this fight. You aren't fighting a nation, with cities and ports and strategic resources. You are fighting an ideology and thus will have to apply the terror retail rather than wholesale.

Your military is admirable. Honorable men and women and they'd simply not stand for it. Nor would the populace. Lets face it, a quarter of the population of the West already consider anyone in uniform to be subhuman baby killers and another quarter of the population are basically too decent to go along with it in the first place.

The first sentence is true enough.  And that is lacking.

Be that as it may, bombs are quite useful as part of the arsenal used to defeat barbarians like ISIS and the other muslim militants.  Would giving ISIS the same talkey-talkey/kissey-kissey we just finished giving Iran have prevented them from beheading and torturing all the innocents they've killed?  Or stop them from destroying all of the antiquities they've destroyed?  Only a moron, or a liberal, would think so.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #71 on: September 05, 2015, 05:51:09 pm »
Bombs have their place, though I do prefer missiles from fairly close range - I dislike collateral damage of innocents intensely. Training camp? Bomb the shit out of it. ISIS convoy? It should be smoking piles of scrap metal within minutes. Find a higher up? Take out the building and apologise to the innocents later, or at least send a wreath.

Indiscriminate bombing though, in the mold of Dresden - nope. The fight against ISIS will have to be more like Vietnam - where WE are the Viet Kong.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #72 on: September 05, 2015, 06:00:08 pm »
I rather thought that almost 14 years ago, when we were attacked in the name of islam, we responded with a purpose.

The purpose was to discourage further attacks. We went to Afghanistan, issued warnings, killed and captured some people, changed the government.

We claimed victories of sorts, we supposed that not all of islam was our enemy, etc. And after awhile we fell back into a sort of complacency, deciding it wasn't such a big deal, after all.

That is where we remain. We remain in the mindset that all of islam is not our adversary.

And that is why we cannot bring ourselves to engage in a world scale war with islam or components thereof.

This sort of unsolvable dilemma, of it being either all or nothing is more acceptable for the moment.

The Iran "deal" is based on the least bad option. The US and the civilized world, simply don't want a big war, or to deal with the evil that islam too frequently imposes on people.

What is new on Netflix this week?

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #73 on: September 05, 2015, 06:52:11 pm »
I rather thought that almost 14 years ago, when we were attacked in the name of islam, we responded with a purpose.

The purpose was to discourage further attacks. We went to Afghanistan, issued warnings, killed and captured some people, changed the government.

We claimed victories of sorts, we supposed that not all of islam was our enemy, etc. And after awhile we fell back into a sort of complacency, deciding it wasn't such a big deal, after all.

That is where we remain. We remain in the mindset that all of islam is not our adversary.

And that is why we cannot bring ourselves to engage in a world scale war with islam or components thereof.

This sort of unsolvable dilemma, of it being either all or nothing is more acceptable for the moment.

The Iran "deal" is based on the least bad option. The US and the civilized world, simply don't want a big war, or to deal with the evil that islam too frequently imposes on people.

What is new on Netflix this week?

Low Winter Sun.....Season 1 

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2314792/

:shrug:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2015, 07:03:16 pm »
Low Winter Sun.....Season 1 

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2314792/

:shrug:
Thanks for movie tip.

Amazon Prime has a new ten episode series called "The Hand of God" starring Ron Perlman.

I think the fact Netflix and Amazon are producing their own content is wonderful. Puts more competition into the mix.

How is that for a thread hijack?