Author Topic: Ted Cruz: 'I Stand With Kim Davis'  (Read 11587 times)

Offline sinkspur

Re: Ted Cruz: 'I Stand With Kim Davis'
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2015, 11:27:59 pm »
I, for one, am not arguing about her religious beliefs one way or the other. What I AM arguing about is the LAW that this woman swore to follow and I see no law on the books in the state of Kentucky that says she is authorized to issue a marriage license to a same sex couple!

Federal law takes precedence over state law, and, you know very well Bigun, that SC decisions are effectively law.

This woman should have stood aside and let her associates issue the licenses.  But she put the weight of her office behind her decision, which was a huge mistake.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2015, 11:30:03 pm »
Federal law takes precedence over state law, and, you know very well Bigun, that SC decisions are effectively law.

This woman should have stood aside and let her associates issue the licenses.  But she put the weight of her office behind her decision, which was a huge mistake.

NO I do not know that! Show me the federal LAW - passed by congress and signed by the president - that trumps Kentucky state law!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2015, 11:49:32 pm »
NO I do not know that! Show me the federal LAW - passed by congress and signed by the president - that trumps Kentucky state law!

SC overturns laws all the time.  When it does, those laws are null.  You know that, Bigun. Or you should.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2015, 11:52:00 pm »
Marco Rubio stands by Kentucky clerk who won’t issue gay marriage licenses.

Shocking?
No. Pandering.

It's what politicians do.
Yes. And it's more ammunition for those who claim that the Republican party has been taken over by religious zealots.

Offline Paladin

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2015, 11:53:17 pm »
Interesting.  We have conservatives supporting a woman who is defying a Supreme Court ruling, which is, effectively, law.

The same conservatives who squeal about Obama's defiance of the law.

The law is the law. We either uphold the laws until we can overturn them, or we're as corrupt as Obama.

One of her subordinates is now granting those licenses.  So, what has she gained? Other than a nod from an opportunist like Ted Cruz?

"Ted Cruz: If Kim Davis Gets Punished for Not Following the Law, Obama Should Be Too"

"And with all the calls for her to resign, Cruz asked, “Where is the call for President Obama to resign for ignoring and defying our immigration laws, our welfare reform laws, and even his own Obamacare?”

Not sure why Ted's call for equal application of the law is "opportunism". Seems perfectly rational to me. Please explain your statement.

Machiavelli, would you also explain how asking for equal application of the law for all is an example of religious zealotry?

« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 11:55:13 pm by Paladin »
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2015, 11:57:09 pm »
SC overturns laws all the time.  When it does, those laws are null.  You know that, Bigun. Or you should.

But they do not and cannot MAKE law Sink! They are not KINGS! This County Clerk was just following the law that currently exists! If the court wants to get on someone's case it should be the state of Kentucky not her!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 12:03:12 am by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2015, 12:01:13 am »
Other presidential hopefuls who have, so far, hopped on this Pandrama Express include Huckabee, Paul, and Jindal.

bkepley

« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2015, 12:06:49 am »
Other presidential hopefuls who have, so far, hopped on this Pandrama Express include Huckabee, Paul, and Jindal.

Paul is kinda wierd.  Desperate I guess.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2015, 12:07:19 am »
Machiavelli, would you also explain how asking for equal application of the law for all is an example of religious zealotry?

I don't know if this is an equal-application-of-the-law situation or not, but I didn't say that asking for equal application of the law for all is an example of religious zealotry. I'm not one of those Leftists who screams, "The theocrats are coming! The theocrats are coming!"

Godzilla

« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2015, 12:10:38 am »
The law goes against her RELIGIOUS BELIEFS which is (supposed to be) protected under the 1st amendment.

One's religious beliefs end where another's begin.  That is what is missing here.  Those that seek a marriage certificate also have religious beliefs that say it is allowable.  Why should their religious beliefs be infringed?

No one is forcing Kim Davis to work at a job her conscience clearly keeps her from doing.  Any more than a clerk at Hobby Lobby is forced to continue working at a place that might violate their conscience.

Godzilla

« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2015, 12:12:15 am »
If we are going to defend this lady's right to "follow her beliefs", can I see an equally spirited defense being made in this thread please?

Heh.

It's always been about the ability to foist one's own religion onto those that may not believe in it.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2015, 12:18:01 am »
One's religious beliefs end where another's begin.  That is what is missing here.  Those that seek a marriage certificate also have religious beliefs that say it is allowable.  Why should their religious beliefs be infringed?

No one is forcing Kim Davis to work at a job her conscience clearly keeps her from doing.  Any more than a clerk at Hobby Lobby is forced to continue working at a place that might violate their conscience.

I don't see that "same sex marriage" is a religious belief; it is purely sexual preference.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 12:18:28 am by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Godzilla

« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2015, 12:20:51 am »
I don't see that "same sex marriage" is a religious belief; it is purely sexual preference.

And that's your belief.  Gays will probably disagree with you.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2015, 12:30:42 am »
And that's your belief.  Gays will probably disagree with you.

I've heard of the Catholic, Episcopal, Protestant, Jewish, Hindu, Budhist, Lutheran, Muslim, Mormon etc., etc., religion but I have never heard of the "Gay" religion.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

bkepley

« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2015, 12:33:22 am »
I've heard of the Catholic, Episcopal, Protestant, Jewish, Hindu, Budhist, Lutheran, Muslim, Mormon etc., etc., religion but I have never heard of the "Gay" religion.

I agree...cannot figure that one out at all.  Too many brewskies?

Offline aligncare

« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2015, 12:39:20 am »

If every thread is gonna be used as an excuse to talk about Donald Trump, well then I'm getting outta here  :bolt:

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2015, 01:01:51 am »
I have to side with the court on this one.  If this lady has a religious conviction against issuing marriage licenses to gays then she should resign her post.  As a public official she is duty-bound to uphold the law, and gay marriage is the legitimate law whether she likes it or not.  Jesus himself admonished us to "give to Caesar what belongs to Caesar, and give to God what belongs to God."  (Mark 12:17)  If she was a minister of a church and refused to marry gays under the freedom of religion clause, I'd have a completely different view of the matter.  But she works for Caesar and therefore is duty-bound to Caesar, whether Caesar be right or wrong.

I do think putting her in jail was a mistake as it will only serve to make her a martyr and stir things up unnecessarily.  But she is in contempt and there are consequences for that.  Now if only the people in the federal system would enforce the immigration laws as vigorously as they enforce stuff like this.

Oceander

« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2015, 01:06:50 am »
Uhhm, I know I'm late to the party and all that, but as I understand it, this person is a government official who has taken an oath to carry out the duties of her public office.  Part and parcel of that duty is to perform her duties to issue licenses that are permitted by law, including the Constitution as interpreted by the Supreme Court.  A public official is duty-bound to fully perform the duties of their office, and if he or she finds those duties to be contrary to her personal beliefs, then the only legitimate course of action she has is to resign.

The fact of the matter is, the only person who is acting lawlessly here is Ms. Kim Davis.

Oceander

« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2015, 01:11:06 am »

Are you serious?

Put this in your pipe and smoke it:

This Constitution, and the laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof; and all treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land; and the judges in every state shall be bound thereby, anything in the Constitution or laws of any State to the contrary notwithstanding.

Article VI, clause 2 of the Constitution of the United States of America
(emphasis mine)

What part of "shall be the supreme law of the land" do you not understand?

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2015, 01:13:27 am »
I have to side with the court on this one.  If this lady has a religious conviction against issuing marriage licenses to gays then she should resign her post.  As a public official she is duty-bound to uphold the law, and gay marriage is the legitimate law whether she likes it or not.  Jesus himself admonished us to "give to Caesar what belongs to Caesar, and give to God what belongs to God."  (Mark 12:17)  If she was a minister of a church and refused to marry gays under the freedom of religion clause, I'd have a completely different view of the matter.  But she works for Caesar and therefore is duty-bound to Caesar, whether Caesar be right or wrong.

I do think putting her in jail was a mistake as it will only serve to make her a martyr and stir things up unnecessarily.  But she is in contempt and there are consequences for that.  Now if only the people in the federal system would enforce the immigration laws as vigorously as they enforce stuff like this.

I have to agree Victor...she needs to look for another job imho cause she isn't gonna change the law all by herself.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2015, 01:26:50 am »
I have to agree Victor...she needs to look for another job imho cause she isn't gonna change the law all by herself.

I love it when we agree.  Let's hug!

Oceander

« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2015, 01:28:08 am »
I love it when we agree.  Let's hug!

Keep it clean kids!!  :silly:

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2015, 01:33:17 am »
If we are going to defend this lady's right to "follow her beliefs", can I see an equally spirited defense being made in this thread please?

Still nothing.

I guess it really is more "My ox got gored" here than actual 1st Amendment support.  **nononono*
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Godzilla

« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2015, 01:33:48 am »

Considering that gays get married in churches, mosques, temples, and synagogues of denominations that believe that it is allowable...  they believe in a variant of the religions you profess.

Why should those be discriminated against?

The point, which I made in my original post... is being ignored.
"One's religious beliefs end where another's begin."

« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 01:38:20 am by Godzilla »

Oceander

« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2015, 01:37:32 am »
Still nothing.

I guess it really is more "My ox got gored" here than actual 1st Amendment support.  **nononono*

look now.