Author Topic: Ben Carson, the Superior Outsider  (Read 2184 times)

bkepley

Ben Carson, the Superior Outsider
« on: September 03, 2015, 04:12:32 pm »
Rich Lowry
NR

hile Jeb Bush feuds Donald Trump and others kowtow to him, only one candidate is seriously gaining on him.

Ben Carson is now tied with Trump in one Iowa poll and is close in others, an especially notable result given that The Donald has jammed a lifetime's worth of free media into the past couple of months.

Carson's rise suggests that it's possible to catch the populist wave roiling Republican politics and yet not be an obnoxious braggart who abuses anyone who crosses him and will say or do anything as long as he's getting attention. Ben Carson is a superior outsider to Donald Trump.

He is more gentlemanly and more conservative, with a more compelling life story. Carson is a man of faith who, despite his manifest accomplishments, has a quiet dignity and winsome modesty about him. Ben Carson is a throwback, whereas Donald Trump is a bold-faced name straight out of our swinish celebrity culture.
Carson is a more natural fit for conservatives than Trump. If you like your outsider not to favor higher taxes, not to have once opposed the ban of partial birth abortion, not to speak favorably of socialized medicine, not to have been an erstwhile booster of Nancy Pelosi and Hillary Clinton, and not to have experience buying off politicians, Ben Carson (or Carly Fiorina) is a much better bet than Donald Trump.

And Carson is altogether a more sympathetic figure. He rose from nothing; Trump took over the family real-estate business. Carson's mom was one of 24 kids, had a third-grade education and worked as a domestic; Trump's father built tens of thousands of apartments in Brooklyn and Queens and amassed a fortune of $300 million.
Trump says he likes "The Art of the Deal" better than any book except the Bible, but he appears to have read just one of them. His evasions when he was asked a few basic questions in a Bloomberg interview about the Good Book were hilariously ham-fisted (he can't answer what his favorite verse is because that's too personal a question).

Trump is the most blatantly secular major presidential candidate since Howard Dean, and of course, he is running as a Republican, not a Democrat. Trump will have to do well in the Iowa caucuses that have been won most recently by Rick Santorum, Mike Huckabee and George W. Bush — a devout Catholic, an ordained Baptist preacher and an evangelical, none of whom were prone to fits of awkwardness and shyness when the Bible came up.

Trump is, to say the least, not of this mold. He is a successful creature of our culture of conspicuous display and tasteless braggadocio. It's no accident that he played himself in WWE wrestling dramas, or that he names everything after himself, or that he doesn't have enough superlatives for own personal qualities and wealth and accomplishments.

Not content simply to brag about his real achievements, Trump says things that are obviously self-inflating fables. Does anyone really believe that other candidates came up to Trump after the Fox debate and told him he had won, as he maintained in his post-debate interview with CNN's Don Lemon?

Carson has certainly made the most of his own renown, churning out best-sellers and raking in the speaking fees, but he operates from a baseline of self-respect and respect for others.

It's impossible to imagine him engaging in juvenile insult wars with random targets of his ire. Or imagine him calling a female journalist a "bimbo" for asking questions that he found unwelcome. Or commenting crudely on women's appearances.

Like Trump, Carson excoriates the culture of political correctness and has said his share of outrageous things, but he also doesn't consider it beneath him to occasionally apologize.

America long ago turned its back on self-restraint and gentlemanliness. Conservatives were the last holdouts, but their dalliance with Trump makes you wonder if they, too, are willing to surrender to celebrity excess as the new norm.

Ben Carson stands for something different. His personal story shows how true class isn't about riches, but about character. Donald Trump has all the finest things and I'd hazard to guess barely as much class as Ben Carson's penniless mother struggling to raise her sons had in her pinky.

Carson may not ultimately have the political pull of Trump, who is more mediagenic and can potentially spend much more money. Yet, if conservatives want to flirt with an unconventional candidate, Carson provides the opportunity to do it without a guilty conscience.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/09/ben-carson-the-superior-outsider-213291#ixzz3kh0YtqVu

Offline NavyCanDo

Re: Ben Carson, the Superior Outsider
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 06:19:42 pm »
Ben Carson is more than just a neurosurgeon who one day chose to run for President. He is not a new kid on the block when it comes to being a part in restoring America. It’s been a long-time  passion of his and there is no question that he is as much of reason to be sitting on top as Trump has –and in my opinion more so. 

Who has a the genuine passion for restoring America?

Just some of the books Carson has authored:

-  One Nation: What We Can All Do to Save America’s Future.

-  A More Perfect Union: What the People can Do to Reclaim Our Constitutional Liberties

-  America the Beautiful: Rediscovering What Made This Nation Great

-  One Vote: Make Your Voice Heard

During the same period Carson was writing these books, Trump was greasing political skids, with the majority his donations going to  Democrats. And the only political leaning book Trump wrote was just this year, called what else, "Make America Great Again".  His handful of other books, and you can check Amazon if you doubt me, is all about getting rich in business, with titles such as  How to get Rich, and The Art of the Deal.   

Trump's Books (not counting the book he wrote to go along with his announcement that he's running.
- How to Get Rich
 -The Art of the Deal

« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 05:58:16 am by NavyCanDo »
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 07:32:41 pm »
Did you see the biopic about him - Gifted Hands? Flowers put me on to it and it is seriously well worth the watching.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline musiclady

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 07:46:25 pm »
Ben Carson is more than just a neurosurgeon who one day chose to run for President. He is not a new kid on the block when it comes to being a part in restoring America. It’s been a long-time  passion of his and there is no question that he is as much of reason to be sitting on top as Trump has –and in my opinion more so. 

Who has a the genuine passion for restoring America?

Just some of the books Carson has authored:

-  One Nation: What We Can All Do to Save America’s Future.

-  A More Perfect Union: What the People can Do ro Reclaim Our Constitutional Liberties

-  America the Beautiful: Rediscovering What Made This Nation Great

-  One Vote: Make Your Voice Heard

During the same period Carson was writing these books, Trump was greasing political skids, with the majority his donations going to  Democrats. And the only political leaning book Trump wrote was just this year, called what else, "Make America Great Again".  His handful of other books, and you can check Amazon if you doubt me, is all about getting rich in business, with titles such as  How to get Rich, and The Art of the Deal.   

Trump's Books (not counting the book he wrote to go along with his announcement that he's running.
- How to Get Rich
 -The Art od the Deal

goopo

If you want a political outsider who loves America and has real solutions, Ben Carson's the guy.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 07:47:12 pm »
Did you see the biopic about him - Gifted Hands? Flowers put me on to it and it is seriously well worth the watching.

Thanks for the reminder, EC.

Cuba Gooding, Jr, Right?

I've been meaning to watch that.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 08:25:00 pm »
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 08:25:49 pm by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 06:12:27 am »
Carson is a Ronald Reagan or Margaret Thatcher like statesman vs. Trump more like a loudmouth from WWF.

Listen to what Carson says when asked about race in an NPR interview.

I was doing an interview on NPR and I was asked,  "Why don't you talk about race very often?" And I said,  Its because I'm a neurosurgeon - -and I got a very quizzical look. And I said, "you see, when I take someone to the operating room, and I shave their head, and I open the scalp and take off bone flap, and open the dura, I am then operating on the thing that makes that person who they are. The skin has very little [to do] with who that person is. And its something that we just allowed to define us and it really has very little to do with who a person is."

Brilliant answer to the question.   
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 06:13:10 am by NavyCanDo »
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline musiclady

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2015, 01:10:51 pm »
Carson is a Ronald Reagan or Margaret Thatcher like statesman vs. Trump more like a loudmouth from WWF.

Listen to what Carson says when asked about race in an NPR interview.

I was doing an interview on NPR and I was asked,  "Why don't you talk about race very often?" And I said,  Its because I'm a neurosurgeon - -and I got a very quizzical look. And I said, "you see, when I take someone to the operating room, and I shave their head, and I open the scalp and take off bone flap, and open the dura, I am then operating on the thing that makes that person who they are. The skin has very little [to do] with who that person is. And its something that we just allowed to define us and it really has very little to do with who a person is."
Brilliant answer to the question.   

Remarkable response, and one that is guaranteed to provoke the left and promote a serious discussion.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2015, 01:14:05 pm »
Ben Carson is more impressive to me every day!  I would have NO problem voting for him to be president! Not a one!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2015, 01:20:06 pm »
Come on, snap the hell out of it!

He's a fine man and honorable human being.

But, he's never run anything or led anything. 

A dressing down of Obama at a Prayer Breakfast does not a president make. 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2015, 01:30:28 pm »
Come on, snap the hell out of it!

He's a fine man and honorable human being.

But, he's never run anything or led anything. 

A dressing down of Obama at a Prayer Breakfast does not a president make.

It is the height of arrogance to contend that ONLY experienced politicians and business leaders have what it takes to serve as President of the United States.  Those you speak of, I thought once was the Tea Parties nemesis.

You are the one that needs to snap the hell out of it. 
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 01:34:37 pm by NavyCanDo »

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2015, 01:36:39 pm »
It is the height of arrogance to contend that ONLY experienced politicians and business leaders have what it takes to serve as President of the United States.  Those you speak of, I thought once was the Tea Parties nemesis.

You are the one that needs to snap the hell out of it.

I want a candidate who has class.. Carson has class. The candidate who shall not be spoken does not have class.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2015, 01:43:45 pm »

I want a candidate who has class.. Carson has class. The candidate who shall not be spoken does not have class.

Class vs. crass. It does matter.

"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2015, 01:44:11 pm »

Class my a$$!

Mitt Romney had oodles of class. 

Sorry, Kevin, but there are scores to settle.   I want the meanest son-of-a-bitch out there.

All you guys can thank me later.    :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2015, 01:57:13 pm »
Class my a$$!

I want the meanest son-of-a-bitch out there.

And the meanest son-of-a-bitch is exactly what you got - And he will lose in a landslide.  You may want that - but America does not.

On the national stage Character beats a mean son-of-a bitch every time. 

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2015, 01:59:47 pm »
And the meanest son-of-a-bitch is exactly what you got - And he will lose in a landslide.  You may want that - but America does not.

Nonsense, NCD.

Two words.....Mitt Romney.   :whistle:
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 02:00:10 pm by DCPatriot »

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2015, 02:01:26 pm »
Nonsense, NCD.

Two words.....Mitt Romney.   :whistle:

One word!

Mormon!

Sad but true!

« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 02:02:02 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2015, 02:07:38 pm »
One word!

Mormon!

Sad but true!

Strawman, Bigun.

The claim was that "Character" wins EVERY TIME!

« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 02:08:02 pm by DCPatriot »

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2015, 02:17:35 pm »
Not sure I'm  getting my point across, and why certain people keep bringing up Mitt Romney - who's character or class was not the reason he lost. 

Angry people attract other angry people - and that explains  the followers of Trump. But those numbers are limited and we have seen the high-water mark.  And on the national stage in a general election, that anger will not transform into the electoral votes needed to win the presidency.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2015, 02:23:22 pm »
One word!

Mormon!

Sad but true!

Sad but true.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2015, 02:24:16 pm »
Not sure I'm  getting my point across, and why certain people keep bringing up Mitt Romney - who's character or class was not the reason he lost. 

Angry people attract other angry people - and that explains  the followers of Trump. But those numbers are limited and we have seen the high-water mark.  And on the national stage in a general election, that anger will not transform into the electoral votes needed to win the presidency.

Your "point' is not the point.

The conversation was that Carson is too gentile and proper without a shred of Executive experience, but that his abundance of "class" would guarantee he would win.

I said that the last Nominee had lots of "Class".   And he got trounced.

Not sure ya'll understand the enemy we're facing today.   The Democrats are now out-of-the-closet Marxist Socialist and the MSM is too!

I want MY OWN Attila the Hun sitting in the White House with a GOP House and Senate.

These bastards need to account for their past 7+ years.  And Donald Trump is the man to do it. 

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2015, 02:24:50 pm »

Didn't we questioned Bill Clinton ' character?

bkepley

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2015, 02:28:36 pm »
Your "point' is not the point.

The conversation was that Carson is too gentile and proper without a shred of Executive experience, but that his abundance of "class" would guarantee he would win.

I said that the last Nominee had lots of "Class".   And he got trounced.

Not sure ya'll understand the enemy we're facing today.   The Democrats are now out-of-the-closet Marxist Socialist and the MSM is too!

I want MY OWN Attila the Hun sitting in the White House with a GOP House and Senate.

These bastards need to account for their past 7+ years.  And Donald Trump is the man to do it.

News: Trump ain't no Attila the Hun.  He's just a buffoon. Best look elsewhere.  Maybe Cruz.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2015, 02:30:28 pm »
In the interest of accuracy, starting with the 1987 bestseller Art of the Deal and including Time to Get Tough, Making America #1 Again, published in 2011, I counted 16 books personally written by Donald Trump.