Author Topic: Jeb’s Sudden Free Fall ....By Jim Geraghty  (Read 525 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Jeb’s Sudden Free Fall ....By Jim Geraghty
« on: September 02, 2015, 02:32:44 pm »
http://www.nationalreview.com/node/423386/print

Jeb’s Sudden Free Fall
The former Florida governor’s poll numbers are in a tailspin. Can he come back?
By Jim Geraghty — September 1, 2015

The bottom has fallen out for Jeb Bush. The newest poll of Iowa has Bush at 5 percent. He’s at 7 percent in New Hampshire and 9 percent in South Carolina. As recently as mid-July, Bush sat atop the Real Clear Politics national average, eight points ahead of his nearest competitor at 17.8 percent. Now, he trails Donald Trump and Ben Carson, in third at 9.7 percent.

Bush’s well-documented weaknesses as a candidate — perceived conservative heresies on immigration and Common Core, a politically inconvenient last name – didn’t seem to be hurting him when he was on top seven weeks ago. So what explains his sudden slide?

Alex Castellanos, a former ad-man for George W. Bush’s reelection campaign and a CNN commentator, suggests that frontrunner Donald Trump is making Bush look small.

“Americans are afraid their nation is in decline; they are going to lose the country they love,” Castellanos says. “They want a leader as big as their fears. Right now, a lot of Republicans see that big leader as Trump, and no else is at the big boys’ table with him.”

Castellanos contends that until a candidate proves he is “big enough” to do the job, nothing else matters — not being a conservative, not being a loyal Republican, not even major policy differences. “What good is policy or ideology if you aren’t big enough to get anything done anyway?”

continued
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

bkepley

Re: Jeb’s Sudden Free Fall ....By Jim Geraghty
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 02:35:20 pm »
Just think of all the money folks wasted on him.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 03:27:58 pm »
I'd call this predictable rather than a "free-fall".  No one in the GOP believed the majority voices saying "no" to Jeb!"

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 03:39:07 pm »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 03:50:52 pm »
“Americans are afraid their nation is in decline; they are going to lose the country they love,” Castellanos says. “They want a leader as big as their fears. Right now, a lot of Republicans see that big leader as Trump, and no else is at the big boys’ table with him.”

I would say Castellanos has nailed it.

Jen Bush probably never stood a chance, regardless of how much money he had locked up...it was dumb money...his name finished him off, maybe not originally in the nomination fight but in the general election, he was toast before he began.

Then Trump swept in and turned him into a very small candidate so quickly and easily.  He has nothing to fight back with - there's no fire, no cause, nothing to attract voters...and there's that name and family that is Kryptonite.  It'd be like England "electing" Charles when William and Harry are in the race.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Godzilla

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 12:55:55 am »
“Americans are afraid their nation is in decline; they are going to lose the country they love,” Castellanos says.

Afraid?

Those candidates gin up fear and hope that it'll make the electorate panic.  Not think about how the candidates would actually *DO* anything, but just that they will *DO* something.  It's classic demagoguery.

America didn't become the best nation on earth because Americans were afraid and fearful.  We got there because we *WERE NOT* afraid!

"So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is...fear itself — nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance."
     -Franklin Roosevelt
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 12:56:32 am by Godzilla »

Offline aligncare

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 02:00:22 am »
There was never a clamoring for Jebbie from the folks in the first place. I always felt he was being foisted on me. Sort of like, "Hey, look who's up next! It's Jeb Bush!"

Oceander

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 02:32:20 am »
There was never a clamoring for Jebbie from the folks in the first place. I always felt he was being foisted on me. Sort of like, "Hey, look who's up next! It's Jeb Bush!"

I feel the same way.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 02:42:25 am »
When ¿Jeb? drops out, he'll probably throw whatever weight he has left behind either Chris Christie or John Kasich.

If there is anything that personifies ¿Jeb?'s erstwhile candidacy, it's the headline from Drudge today:
"El Hombre No Es Conservador" (Jeb speaking this is en Espanol)

vis-a-vis Trump's reply to it:
“He’s a nice man. But he should really set the example by speaking English while in the United States.”

The above exchange pretty much says it all.
It's ¿Jeb?'s political epitaph.