Author Topic: Kate Steinle’s parents file legal claims against San Francisco, federal officials, in pier shooting death  (Read 327 times)

rangerrebew

Kate Steinle’s parents file legal claims against San Francisco, federal officials, in pier shooting death
BY Deborah Hastings , Rachelle Blidner
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Updated: Tuesday, September 1, 2015, 4:10 PM

Steinle Family Announces Claims Against San Francisco Sheriff, ICE Over Pier Shooting
CBS San Francisco

Kate Steinle's parents announced Tuesday they had filed legal claims against San Francisco and federal officials in connection to their daughter’s death, which sparked fierce national debate about immigration policies.

"We're here not only for Kate, we're here for every citizen of this country who comes to San Francisco," said Jim Steinle, Kate's father. "If you think this can't happen to you, think again.

Speaking to acrowd of reporters, Jim and his wife, Liz Sullivan, were joined by their son, Brad Steinle. The family said it had filed claims against San Francisco Sheriff Ross Mirkarimi, the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement and the U.S. Bureau of Land Management, whose stolen gun was used in the shooting, the San Jose Mercury News reported.

Kate Steinle was shot to death while going on a stroll with her dad at Pier 14 on July 1. She died in her father's arms.

"She said 'help me, help me.' That's my bedtime story every night," her dad said.

Family attorney Frank Pitrie said "What happened on Pier 14 was not only forseeable, it was preventable."

Katie's mother told reporters "This is for accountabiliity for public officials that we have voter for, who are not doing their job."

Her alleged killer, Juan Francisco Lopez-Sanchez, a 45-year-old Mexican national, had been deported five times for multiple felonies. He had been held in a San Francisco jail in April and released when the charges were dropped because of the city's "sanctuary laws."

Sheriff Mirkarimi should have notified ICE when Lopez-Sanchez was released from jail, the Steinle family says.

His attorney said the shooting was accidental -- he found the .40-caliber gun on the pier by his feet and it accidentally went off. The firearm had been stolen from a Bureau of Land Management ranger during a car break-in in June.

Steinle's death prompted presidential candidates like Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton to weigh in on immigration reform. Her parents have been outspoken about the need for change, calling on legislative action at a senate judiciary hearing in July.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/kate-steinle-parents-file-claims-san-francisco-article-1.2344100
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 08:21:26 pm by rangerrebew »

bkepley

PAUL ELIAS Associated Press
The parents of a San Francisco woman who was fatally shot by a man in the country illegally filed legal claims against San Francisco and federal officials.

The family alleges that a Bureau of Land Management ranger left his loaded service weapon in a backpack in plain view in his car when it was stolen in June.

The semi-automatic pistol was later used in the killing of Kathryn Steinle on July 1. BLM spokeswoman Martha Maciel said the agency is cooperating with investigation but she declined further comment.

Steinle's parents filed three separate claims Tuesday seeking unspecified damages. If the claims are denied, the family could then file wrongful death lawsuits.

The family also filed claims against the San Francisco Sheriff's Department and the Department of Homeland Security for failing to keep Juan Francisco Lopez-Sanchez in custody.

He has pleaded not guilty.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/parents-women-killed-san-francisco-pier-file-claims-33461763

Offline flowers

Good for them. Yet nothing will come of this lawsuit. The creep was high (my opinion) and the bullet showed signs of a ricochet. They have video of him tossing the gun into the ocean. He says he fired the gun.  The charge may not be 1st degree murder. Time will tell.

bkepley

Good for them. Yet nothing will come of this lawsuit. The creep was high (my opinion) and the bullet showed signs of a ricochet. They have video of him tossing the gun into the ocean. He says he fired the gun.  The charge may not be 1st degree murder. Time will tell.

I'm not so sure.  I think they can easily win a civil lawsuit.  There was incompetence all around.

Offline flowers

PAUL ELIAS Associated Press
The parents of a San Francisco woman who was fatally shot by a man in the country illegally filed legal claims against San Francisco and federal officials.

The family alleges that a Bureau of Land Management ranger left his loaded service weapon in a backpack in plain view in his car when it was stolen in June.

The semi-automatic pistol was later used in the killing of Kathryn Steinle on July 1. BLM spokeswoman Martha Maciel said the agency is cooperating with investigation but she declined further comment.

Steinle's parents filed three separate claims Tuesday seeking unspecified damages. If the claims are denied, the family could then file wrongful death lawsuits.

The family also filed claims against the San Francisco Sheriff's Department and the Department of Homeland Security for failing to keep Juan Francisco Lopez-Sanchez in custody.

He has pleaded not guilty.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/parents-women-killed-san-francisco-pier-file-claims-33461763
We still don't know who stole the weapon. I see here it was in a backpack....I guess one cannot leave a backpack out in the open anymore?  Or could you see the gun was in the backpack?  Why does BLM even get to carry weapons......yeah I know.

Offline flowers

I'm not so sure.  I think they can easily win a civil lawsuit.  There was incompetence all around.
You are right....didn't think about that. Civil lawsuit easier to win.