Author Topic: President Obama to rename North America's highest peak  (Read 5703 times)

Offline aligncare

Re: President Obama to rename North America's highest peak
« Reply #75 on: September 01, 2015, 09:04:50 pm »
I second that spot on, flowers. Relic nailed it.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #76 on: September 01, 2015, 09:59:10 pm »
Snipe at each other in someone else's thread. Not mine.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #77 on: September 01, 2015, 10:07:44 pm »
bk wrote above (regarding Trump's promise to change the name back to "McKinley"):
[[ Typical teen-age stuff from Trump.  But of course you don't see that. ]]

Nope.

Great political move by Mr. Trump in a state the GOP absolutely -MUST- win in order to win the 2016 election.

But of course, YOU don't see that!

bkepley

« Reply #78 on: September 01, 2015, 10:09:44 pm »
bk wrote above (regarding Trump's promise to change the name back to "McKinley"):
[[ Typical teen-age stuff from Trump.  But of course you don't see that. ]]

Nope.

Great political move by Mr. Trump in a state the GOP absolutely -MUST- win in order to win the 2016 election.

But of course, YOU don't see that!

.....nah

Godzilla

« Reply #79 on: September 01, 2015, 11:51:29 pm »
I think the appropriate response from Trump would have been,   " If elected, I will not follow the dictatorial path of the current president, but instead enforce the rule-of-law and allow congress to vote on the original name change proposal. And back again to Mount McKinley if that becomes necessary.  Enforcing the law is the appropriate roll as president, not making it."

But Trump to me is taking the same path as Obama.   I will do what I want - damn the balance of powers.

This.

Very much this.

bkepley

« Reply #80 on: September 01, 2015, 11:55:20 pm »
This.

Very much this.

Impossible and you know it (or at least suspect it.)

Godzilla

« Reply #81 on: September 02, 2015, 12:00:44 am »
So much for my vow to stay away from Trump threads.....   :shrug:

THIS THREAD IS ABOUT OBAMA'S DICTATORSHIP.

He is doing things that he doesn't have the right to do because it requires CONGRESS to change the name.

It is not innocuous.  It is not something for which we should 'move along.'  It is yet another attempt to get rid of what is fundamentally an American principle and to arbitrarily change things that he has NO right to change.

Yes, I'm from Ohio, but this really isn't a small matter about one state's President.

(And it is NOT about Trump, for heaven's sakes).

I think the question really is, "Does it require an act of Congress to change a geographical placename in the United States?"

I mean, Mount McKinley is in a national park.  And national parks are run by the Department of the Interior.  The Department of the Interior falls under the Executive Branch.

So wouldn't any reference to the mountain that would be on a map that comes out of any Executive Branch agency... fall under the President's purview?

From what I could tell, it doesn't sound like anyone is forcing the National Geographic Society to change the name.

Godzilla

« Reply #82 on: September 02, 2015, 12:02:52 am »
Amen!! This is about Obama pandering to a group  of non-white voters to bring into the Democrat party fold. That, and him just demonstrating that he can do whatever he damn well pleases, and no one - especially not Congress - is going to stop him.

PLEASE, could we not bring Trump into every darn thread on this forum!

Personally, I thought he was pushing Global Warming with this.  Renaming the mountain to it's native American name lends to the ideology of how European colonization destroyed the 'sacred earth'.

Godzilla

« Reply #83 on: September 02, 2015, 12:05:43 am »
Snipe at each other in someone else's thread. Not mine.

I liek cheez.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #84 on: September 02, 2015, 01:58:47 am »
I think the question really is, "Does it require an act of Congress to change a geographical placename in the United States?"

I mean, Mount McKinley is in a national park.  And national parks are run by the Department of the Interior.  The Department of the Interior falls under the Executive Branch.

So wouldn't any reference to the mountain that would be on a map that comes out of any Executive Branch agency... fall under the President's purview?

From what I could tell, it doesn't sound like anyone is forcing the National Geographic Society to change the name.

I'm not sure you can believe this and agree with NavyCanDo up thread.

But, avoiding any comment on Trump, I will say this.....

It was an act of Congress that changed it to McKinley, and I would guess that Punk Dictator Obama hasn't got a clue as to what his role ought to be in this.   He's just trying to make noise, get another voting block, and distract from his economy-killing capitalism-hating climate change moves in Alaska.

And he thinks he can do whatever he jolly well pleases.

(And apparently is right about that.....  **nononono* )
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 01:59:29 am by musiclady »
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.