Author Topic: President Obama to rename North America's highest peak  (Read 5684 times)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: President Obama to rename North America's highest peak
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2015, 10:32:14 pm »
President Trump should immediately to rename it Mt. Obama...to remind everybody how high the sh*t pile is, he's created.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

bkepley

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2015, 10:44:30 pm »
Much ado about nothing.  I'd let the Alsskans decide.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2015, 10:45:49 pm »
Unless you're from Ohio..............

True.  :laugh:

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2015, 10:46:42 pm »
Much ado about nothing.  I'd let the Alsskans decide.

They already did. They chose Denali a long time ago.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2015, 11:08:25 pm »
The name of Mount McKinley National Park was subject to local criticism from the beginning of the park. The word "Denali" means "the high one" in the native Athabaskan language and refers to the mountain itself. The mountain was named after newly elected US president William McKinley in 1897 by local prospector William A. Dickey. The United States government formally adopted the name Mount McKinley after President Wilson signed the bill creating Mount McKinley National Park into effect in 1917 In 1980, Mount McKinley National Park was combined with Denali National Monument, and the Alaska National Interest Lands Conservation Act named the combined unit the Denali National Park and Preserve. At that time the Alaska state Board of Geographic Names changed the name of the mountain to "Denali." However, the U.S. Board on Geographic Names did not recognize the change and continued to denote the official name as Mount McKinley. This situation lasted until Aug. 30, 2015, when President Barack Obama directed Secretary of the Interior Sally Jewell to rename the mountain to Denali, using statutory authority to act on requests when the Board of Geographic Names does not do so in a "reasonable" time period.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denali_National_Park_and_Preserve#Naming_controversy

Godzilla

« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2015, 01:20:27 am »
Is McKinley that popular in Ohio to warrant this?

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2015, 01:35:55 am »

Apparently he is.

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2015, 01:54:19 am »
I'm curious.  When was the last time a President used this authority to rename something such as this?  Not to name something, but to rename a landmark.

Look, I detest the guy in the Oval Office. Everything he does, he feels he has superior reasoning coupled with the authoritative air of a Monarch at best, tin-pot dictator at worst.

So yes, for those (perhaps) tacky reasons, it is a big deal to me.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2015, 09:23:18 am »
The event itself may be insignificant in the grand scheme of things - or seem to be. Yet:

.... using statutory authority to act on requests when the Board of Geographic Names does not do so in a "reasonable" time period.

from your post.

Who defines "reasonable time period?" That statutory authority covers a lot more than The Board of Geographic Names - it covers pretty much EVERY department of the executive. Do you really want this exercise of Presidential authority to become customary? Laws can be changed. Custom is almost impossible to shift.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2015, 11:35:49 am »
I'm just waiting for Obammy to change the name of the Washington Redskins. Just because.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2015, 11:51:21 am »
I'm curious.  When was the last time a President used this authority to rename something such as this?  Not to name something, but to rename a landmark.

Look, I detest the guy in the Oval Office. Everything he does, he feels he has superior reasoning coupled with the authoritative air of a Monarch at best, tin-pot dictator at worst.

So yes, for those (perhaps) tacky reasons, it is a big deal to me.

Everything this guy does is for selfish reasons and/or has a political calculus.  Many of his moves disregard precedent, protocol, and oftentimes the Constitution.  These seemingly minor, trivial, insignificant moves have consequences.  Despite doing some searches, I have not encountered a seriously analytical look at the renaming of Mt. McKinley.  Maybe that's indicative of its minor nature but perhaps it is due to weariness and acceptance.

In his world white can be black, man can be woman, hate can be reasonable, Faith can be superseded by the State.  His is a lawless Administration scorning all balance of power. It ignores and abandons Americans in grave peril while pandering to the largely non-contributors of our society. He foments division and anger to his benefit. His rhetoric is apologetic and anti-American. Nothing in his World comports with mine.

So, I am cynical of this seemingly minor move.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 12:28:15 pm by Lando Lincoln »
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2015, 01:15:31 pm »
A friend posted on FB:
Russians will tell you they called it Bolshaya Gora for longer than we called it Mt. McKinley - and since many of the natives did not have written languages, who knows.
 This is a real slap in the face to a great president who brought order to Sewards Folly.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2015, 01:41:23 pm »

Yes.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

bkepley

« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2015, 03:41:46 pm »
BENJAMIN BELL and ALI WEINBERG
ABC News

Donald Trump, apparently assuming he will secure the White House, tweeted on Monday evening that he would reverse the decision announced by President Obama to change the name of Alaska's Mount McKinley back to the traditional name Denali, saying it is an affront to the Buckeye State.

"President Obama wants to change the name of Mt. McKinley to Denali after more than 100 years. Great insult to Ohio. I will change back!" read the tweet, issued from the account of the real estate mogul.

Can't make it up.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2015, 03:50:40 pm »
Can't make it up.

What's your 'problem' with him saying this?
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Relic

« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2015, 03:53:07 pm »

Trump could say grass is green and the GOPe types would wet their pants over what a callous, crude person he is, ignoring other colors that way.

bkepley

« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2015, 03:55:44 pm »

Typical teen-age stuff from Trump.  But of course you don't see that.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2015, 03:58:59 pm »

Sure....I suppose the 'adult' in the room like you would just emulate Boehner and drink a few gin-tonics instead.     :whistle:

bkepley

« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2015, 04:01:39 pm »
Sure....I suppose the 'adult' in the room like you would just emulate Boehner and drink a few gin-tonics instead.     :whistle:

Total non-sequitur.  What does Boehner have to do with it.  Actually I think Boehner is against the name change.  :whistle:

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2015, 04:15:18 pm »

Personally, I have much more of a problem with Obama initially changing it unilaterally.

bkepley

« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2015, 04:20:06 pm »
Personally, I have much more of a problem with Obama initially changing it unilaterally.

Imagine every four to eight years or so it gets changed depending on which party is in the WH.  From what I understand Alaska decided a long time ago it should be changed and that's good enough for me.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2015, 04:59:56 pm »
  From what I understand Alaska decided a long time ago it should be changed and that's good enough for me.
But who is "Alaska"? At least its representative, the U.S. Senator from Alaska, sought the name change through an act of Congress, which seems appropriate. Obama just decreed, as one who considers himself emperor of the universe might do, that the name should be changed.

bkepley

« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2015, 05:16:02 pm »
But who is "Alaska"? At least its representative, the U.S. Senator from Alaska, sought the name change through an act of Congress, which seems appropriate. Obama just decreed, as one who considers himself emperor of the universe might do, that the name should be changed.

Does seem high-handed doesn't it and maybe politically stupid.

Offline flowers

« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2015, 05:43:09 pm »
Everything this guy does is for selfish reasons and/or has a political calculus.  Many of his moves disregard precedent, protocol, and oftentimes the Constitution.  These seemingly minor, trivial, insignificant moves have consequences.  Despite doing some searches, I have not encountered a seriously analytical look at the renaming of Mt. McKinley.  Maybe that's indicative of its minor nature but perhaps it is due to weariness and acceptance.

In his world white can be black, man can be woman, hate can be reasonable, Faith can be superseded by the State.  His is a lawless Administration scorning all balance of power. It ignores and abandons Americans in grave peril while pandering to the largely non-contributors of our society. He foments division and anger to his benefit. His rhetoric is apologetic and anti-American. Nothing in his World comports with mine.

So, I am cynical of this seemingly minor move.
Great post! I wonder who/why he did this too?

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2015, 06:10:05 pm »
Frankly my dear Donald, I don't give a damn.