Author Topic: NASA Chief to Congress: 'Don't Make Us Hitch Rides With Russia'  (Read 941 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
http://www.nbcnews.com/science/space/nasa-chief-tells-congress-dont-make-us-hitch-rides-russia-n417771

NASA Administrator Charles Bolden is tired of relying on the Russians to carry American astronauts into space. Currently, the United States pays for spots on Russia's Soyuz spacecraft, which carry people and supplies to the International Space Station (ISS) orbiting Earth. The White House decided to retire the Space Shuttle in 2004 after the Columbia disaster, leading to the final launch in 2011. NASA plans to replace the Space Shuttle with the Orion spacecraft for longer missions and spaceships from private companies for trips to the ISS.

In an op-ed published Friday in Wired titled "Congress, Don't Make Us Hitch Rides With Russia. Love, NASA," he made the case to Congress to fund the Commercial Crew program, a partnership between NASA and private companies to launch astronauts into low orbit from American soil. "Just recently, NASA was left with no other choice but to write a $490 million check to our Russian counterparts so that we can get our own astronauts to the Space Station," Bolden wrote. "It doesn't have to be this way."
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Oceander

Re: NASA Chief to Congress: 'Don't Make Us Hitch Rides With Russia'
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 04:06:21 am »
It does seem a little stupid to be relying solely on rocket engines built by Russia.  Particularly at this point in time.

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 04:11:44 am »
It does seem a little stupid to be relying solely on rocket engines built by Russia.  Particularly at this point in time.

It's incredibly stupid and equally embarrassing. We should be leading the way in all things related to space and science, but instead NASA has to fight just to stay afloat. I am deeply disappointed in anybody that opposes funding NASA.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline flowers

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 07:10:32 pm »
Team Obama knocking us down to 3rd world status.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 07:13:52 pm »
Is that $490 million for a single trip or is there more?
Does anyone have a handle on that?

Offline flowers

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 07:46:54 pm »

Is that $490 million for a single trip or is there more?
Does anyone have a handle on that?

$71M: Russia Triples Price to Fly U.S. Astronauts to Space Station

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/71m-russia-triples-price-fly-us-astronauts-space-station

this is a 2013 article.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 08:03:57 pm »

$71M: Russia Triples Price to Fly U.S. Astronauts to Space Station

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/71m-russia-triples-price-fly-us-astronauts-space-station

this is a 2013 article.

Thanks Flowers... mind boggling...

Oceander

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 02:37:07 am »
It's incredibly stupid and equally embarrassing. We should be leading the way in all things related to space and science, but instead NASA has to fight just to stay afloat. I am deeply disappointed in anybody that opposes funding NASA.

I wouldn't go so far on the funding bit.  What's needed is smart funding, not simply throwing money around blindly for the sake of throwing money around (unless, of course, they want to aim some of that money in my direction :silly:)