Author Topic: Pioneer Pot States Have Collected More Than $200 Million In Marijuana Taxes  (Read 1490 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
That's a lot of money that didn't go to the black market.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/washington-colorado-marijuana-taxes_55d6133be4b07addcb45e65d

The first two states to legalize recreational marijuana have collectively raked in at least $200 million in marijuana tax revenue, according to the latest tax data -- and they're putting those dollars to good use. In Colorado, after about a year and a half of legal recreational marijuana sales, the state has collected more than $117 million in excise taxes from both the recreational and medical marijuana markets, according to the most recent data from the Colorado Department of Revenue. Washington state got a slower start. Its retail shops didn't begin selling recreational marijuana until July of last year, but they are keeping pace with Colorado's. About $83 million in excise taxes have already been collected in the year since sales first began, according to the most recent tax data from the Washington State Liquor and Cannabis Board.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline aligncare

Decriminalize, don't legalize!

Why would anybody want the government (taxes, restrictions, mandates) involved in another area of their life?

Offline Dexter

Why would anybody want the government (taxes, restrictions, mandates) involved in another area of their life?

The taxes would be created by more businesses opening up and employing more people to sell a very popular product. Legalizing and taxing beats the alternative in every way.
-Socrates

Offline aligncare

The taxes would be created by more businesses opening up and employing more people to sell a very popular product. Legalizing and taxing beats the alternative in every way.

I believe not everything needs to be managed by the state.

Offline Dexter

I believe not everything needs to be managed by the state.

So you think it should only be decriminalized because the businesses that would sell it would have to pay taxes and only sell it to adults (restrictions)?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 07:07:48 pm by Dexter »
-Socrates

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

My town of about 200,000 in Republican Orange County CA, has recently become the site of a Marijuana dispensary, called "Surf City Collective."

It is located in the same mall as my AA meeting hall. They seem to run a very business like enterprise, with security in the parking lot to insure nobody smokes there, or that other activities are kept away (drug dealing, prostitution, vagrancy, etc.).

The city is not yet up to speed with an ordinance to keep them out, but say they are working on it. The business was offering to do a fundraiser for the police, but the police said don't bother.

I have been involved with the mall for over 20 years. Have seen many businesses come and go. This one is not contributing to any visible problems, that I can observe. I had one discussion with them, and it went fine.

There are numerous problem people that congregate around AA meeting places, if left to do so unimpeded. There do not appear to be any such people around the marijuana business.

Finally it looks like the owners are getting filthy rich, because they do a ton of business, measured by the auto traffic.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Oceander

If we can be trusted with alcohol, then I see no reason why we cannot be trusted with pot, so long as appropriate safeguards are in place.  Furthermore, considering that the quality and content of the stuff is likely to be verified and checked, less risks of smoking stuff that ain't what it's supposed to be.  I am familiar with someone who had the unfortunate luck of smoking a joint that, unbeknownst to him, had been laced with PCP.  That was not fun.  It also shouldn't happen with the stuff from places like this.