Author Topic: Pollsters dumbfounded by Trump  (Read 12774 times)

Offline aligncare

Re: Pollsters dumbfounded by Trump
« Reply #75 on: August 28, 2015, 04:24:46 am »
Just pictured in my mind.....President Donald Trump's first act as POTUS:

President-elect Donald Trump is sitting with his wife and grown children takes the Oath of Office on the veranda at the U.S. Capitol, smiling...engaged in conversation...and shakes hands with Barack, Michelle, Malia and Sasha.

After arriving at Andrews Air Force Base in Marine One, the President's helicopter, Barack Obama begins to walk up the stairs of the complimentary plane which will take them to his new home in Hawaii, when suddenly a phalanx of armed military police suddenly appear on the tarmac and arrest him.

Hey!   I can dream, can't I?    :smokin:

I guess we must be both asleep and having the same dream.

As I read your scenario it brought the biggest smile to my face.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #76 on: August 28, 2015, 04:37:27 am »
dumbfounded?  sure a little.  upset? yeah.
Fascinated is closer to the truth IMO.

My comment could have been misunderstood so and for the record I'm embarrassed by Trump running for the nomination, and I am embarrassed that I thought conservatives could see through him.

but there is a lot of time to see how things play out and I am certainly enjoying the spectacle.

There's nothing to see through! The man is not a politician and yet he has a public record a mile long.

People are making their own judgments based on a certain level of trust for the man's abilities, his successes, and his obvious love of country. At least they've been willing to give him a serious listen.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #77 on: August 28, 2015, 04:48:45 am »
There's nothing to see through! The man is not a politician and yet he has a public record a mile long.

People are making their own judgments based on a certain level of trust for the man's abilities, his successes, and his obvious love of country. At least they've been willing to give him a serious listen.

I too have given Trump a serious listen, and I find him wanting...but it is your vote-your country-Good luck.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #78 on: August 28, 2015, 05:08:12 am »
I love your vision of a better America.
LOL

My wife is a brilliant woman but we often disagree on politics.  I always vote GOP and she voted for Obama in 2008.  She thinks the voters are stupid and I trust in the common sense of the average guy.  She and I have a bet.  Decorum prevents me from detailing what I win, but if Trump win the nomination I have to wear a T-shirt that says "The voters are stupid," and If Trump wins the Presidency I have to wear a Tshirt that says "I miss Obama."

Offline olde north church

« Reply #79 on: August 28, 2015, 12:10:49 pm »
There's some weird idea here that IF Trump gets elected, Congress will fall to their knees and bow to him, as if he were Emperor Trump and not just the head of one of the co-equal branches of the government.

Power doesn't relinquish power without a fight.

Yeah, you're right Luis.  It's not like our current Congress/Senate didn't give boy King everything he wanted.  Why don't you talk to me about what hasn't been handed over to him from budget to treaties?  I'm just a simpleton from the sticks who don't understands not politickin'.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline evadR

« Reply #80 on: August 28, 2015, 12:30:16 pm »

An Excellent summation AC. There's a bit more to it than that but I'll leave it stand as you have stated it.

I will say that I truly enjoy all the machinations over Trump. I hope they NEVER figure it out.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline olde north church

« Reply #81 on: August 28, 2015, 12:45:10 pm »
An Excellent summation AC. There's a bit more to it than that but I'll leave it stand as you have stated it.

I will say that I truly enjoy all the machinations over Trump. I hope they NEVER figure it out.

Basically, it's the "Constanza Theory" writ large.  Everything that every politician has thought, wrote or said, do the opposite.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Online massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #82 on: August 28, 2015, 12:48:09 pm »
I think Donald Trump has decided to rewrite the rules of conventional politics and run a campaign the way Madison Avenue types have always thought campaigns should be run, which is to say as pure marketing campaigns, not marketing campaigns disguised as philosophical discussions.  And so, Trump uses his celebrity and popularity to suck out hundreds of millions of dollars worth of TV exposure while his competition is in Iowa doing a coffee clatch with a dozen people.  In order to keep it going, he has to continually push the envelope, testing the political and cultural barriers just enough to capture attention to himself without disgruntling too many people.  So far, he has played the game with a certain genius that has the rest of the Republican field -- especially Jeb Bush -- befuddled and off-kilter.

I don't support Trump.  Early on I was appalled at the thought of Donald Trump as POTUS.  I am no longer.  But I still wonder how on earth this pied piper with bad hair has managed to entice so many people.  In the end, though, what I think does not matter, any more than what I thought of Mitt Romney mattered.  What does matter is that Trump's supporters have his back and they will stand with him to the end.  So Trump has solidified his position as one of the three finalists.  Now it's a battle between 15 people for the other two spots.  And pretty soon it could be a battle between 15 people for one spot.

If I were laying odds, I'd say the odds of Trump getting the nomination are about 33 percent.  Still not great, but higher than anyone else in the field.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 12:49:08 pm by massadvj »

bkepley

« Reply #83 on: August 28, 2015, 12:51:18 pm »
I think Donald Trump has decided to rewrite the rules of conventional politics and run a campaign the way Madison Avenue types have always thought campaigns should be run, which is to say as pure marketing campaigns, not marketing campaigns disguised as philosophical discussions.  And so, Trump uses his celebrity and popularity to suck hundreds of millions of dollars worth of TV exposure while his competition is in Iowa doing a coffee clatch with a dozen people.  In order to keep it going, he has to continually push the envelope, testing the political and cultural barriers just enough to capture attention to himself without disgruntling too many people.  So far, he has played the game with a certain genius that has the rest of the Republican field -- especially Jeb Bush -- befuddled and off-kilter.

I don't support Trump.  Early on I was appalled at the thought of Donald Trump as POTUS.  I am no longer.  But I still wonder how on earth this pied piper with bad hair has managed to entice so many people.  In the end, though, what I think does not matter, any more than what I thought of Mitt Romney mattered.  What does matter is that Trump's supporters have his back and they will stand with him to the end.  So Trump has solidified his position as one of the three finalists.  Now it's a battle between 15 people for the other two spots.  And pretty soon it could be a battle between 15 people for one spot.

If I were laying odds, I'd say the odds of Trump getting the nomination are about 33 percent.  Still not great, but higher than anyone else in the field.

Supposedly, if you have read any of the "Making of the President" books campaigns have been run the way Madison Avenue types have wanted them to be run for quite some time and the Madison Avenue types are running them now.

Online massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #84 on: August 28, 2015, 01:02:08 pm »
Supposedly, if you have read any of the "Making of the President" books campaigns have been run the way Madison Avenue types have wanted them to be run for quite some time and the Madison Avenue types are running them now.

They have if you are Theodore H. White.  But he is not a Madison Avenue type, so he really has no idea how far the marketing paradigm could have been taken, only that after Kennedy it had been taken to new heights.  In every presidential campaign subsequent to Kennedy, the marketing arm was pivotal, but always constrained by fixed (or seemingly fixed) policy positions.  Trump's campaign is driven by marketing, and the policies change readily and unapologetically according to his need to reposition as time goes by.  That is more in keeping with Madison Avenue's vision.

http://www.biography.com/people/theodore-h-white-40304
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 01:13:51 pm by massadvj »

Offline aligncare

« Reply #85 on: August 28, 2015, 01:02:42 pm »

BTW, you're speaking to a Madison Avenue type.

Or, is that not accurate of your background, Vic?

Online massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #86 on: August 28, 2015, 01:12:45 pm »
BTW, you're speaking to a Madison Avenue type.

Or, is that not accurate of your background, Vic?

PhD in marketing.  Have taught marketing for nearly 20 years at the university level and am tenured.  Prior to that 6 years as a political operative for Willie Brown.  So yeah, I guess I am qualified.  But the nature of politics is such that the more expertise one has the less relevance one has, which is as it should be.

bkepley

« Reply #87 on: August 28, 2015, 01:22:23 pm »
PhD in marketing.  Have taught marketing for nearly 20 years at the university level and am tenured.  Prior to that 6 years as a political operative for Willie Brown.  So yeah, I guess I am qualified.  But the nature of politics is such that the more expertise one has the less relevance one has, which is as it should be.

Ah..so you're one of the bad guys huh?  ^-^

Offline aligncare

« Reply #88 on: August 28, 2015, 01:28:49 pm »

Yeah, he's a real Mad man.

Online massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #89 on: August 28, 2015, 01:28:58 pm »

It was like working for the Sopranos.  I can never wash the stink off.  If anything can turn a person into a libertarian it's working as a Democrat operative.  Politics as practiced by Dems is racketeering under the legitimacy of law.  The GOP is better, but not innocent.  I know that for a fact.

Offline Relic

« Reply #90 on: August 28, 2015, 01:29:41 pm »
I think Donald Trump has decided to rewrite the rules of conventional politics and run a campaign the way Madison Avenue types have always thought campaigns should be run, which is to say as pure marketing campaigns, not marketing campaigns disguised as philosophical discussions.  And so, Trump uses his celebrity and popularity to suck out hundreds of millions of dollars worth of TV exposure while his competition is in Iowa doing a coffee clatch with a dozen people.  In order to keep it going, he has to continually push the envelope, testing the political and cultural barriers just enough to capture attention to himself without disgruntling too many people.  So far, he has played the game with a certain genius that has the rest of the Republican field -- especially Jeb Bush -- befuddled and off-kilter.

Trump's appeal is simple. Trump stands by what he says. He doesn't back down, he doesn't apologize, he doesn't "walk back" statements. There is no bowing down to the media or the ever shifting standards of political correctness. Trump speaks plainly, directly, and will back up what he says. I have yet to here a single case of Trump whining about being taken "out of context".

Consider this: The elite types come here and bash the base. We are inflexible idiots who are constantly applying the purity test. "Ronald Reagan couldn't get elected today!" is their battle cry. However, Trump has many flaws, and no one would ever suggest that Donald Trump is a model conservative. Many conservatives are willing to forgive, or overlook those deficiencies to get someone who will just say what he means, and mean what he says.

The political class created Donald Trump. Americans are sick of business as usual, and are willing to take a chance. If it harms the political class, that's a delightful bonus.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #91 on: August 28, 2015, 01:31:32 pm »

I don't support Trump.  Early on I was appalled at the thought of Donald Trump as POTUS.  I am no longer.  But I still wonder how on earth this pied piper with bad hair has managed to entice so many people. In the end, though, what I think does not matter, any more than what I thought of Mitt Romney mattered.  What does matter is that Trump's supporters have his back and they will stand with him to the end.  So Trump has solidified his position as one of the three finalists.  Now it's a battle between 15 people for the other two spots.  And pretty soon it could be a battle between 15 people for one spot.

Love to read your posts, Victor!  On these type of threads, it's like taking a hot shower.   :laugh:

Also...think you're answering your own question as to the mystery of the "Pied Piper".  He's a genius when it comes to using this thing called "Social Media".

I'm convinced Bill Clinton would have NEVER won back in 1992 if Perot had the Internet, Facebook and Twitter.   Clinton's 43-44% would have probably been a lot less, ensuring George Herbert Walker Bush a 2nd term. 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline aligncare

« Reply #92 on: August 28, 2015, 01:32:34 pm »
Trump's appeal is simple. Trump stands by what he says. He doesn't back down, he doesn't apologize, he doesn't "walk back" statements. There is no bowing down to the media or the ever shifting standards of political correctness. Trump speaks plainly, directly, and will back up what he says. I have yet to here a single case of Trump whining about being taken "out of context".

Consider this: The elite types come here and bash the base. We are inflexible idiots who are constantly applying the purity test. "Ronald Reagan couldn't get elected today!" is their battle cry. However, Trump has many flaws, and no one would ever suggest that Donald Trump is a model conservative. Many conservatives are willing to forgive, or overlook those deficiencies to get someone who will just say what he means, and mean what he says.

The political class created Donald Trump. Americans are sick of business as usual, and are willing to take a chance. If it harms the political class, that's a delightful bonus.

Nice summary. I like it!

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #93 on: August 28, 2015, 01:34:04 pm »
It was like working for the Sopranos.  I can never wash the stink off.  If anything can turn a person into a libertarian it's working as a Democrat operative.  Politics as practiced by Dems is racketeering under the legitimacy of law.  The GOP is better, but not innocent.  I know that for a fact.

I believe it's because most Republicans believe in God, and the Great Commandments are ingrained into our DNA. 

Democrats don't carry that cross through life.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #94 on: August 28, 2015, 01:37:42 pm »
Love to read your posts, Victor!  On these type of threads, it's like taking a hot shower.   :laugh:

Well, I guess that's better than posting stuff that makes you feel like you need a cold shower.  But I guess that's for those other places that use up the vast majority of bandwidth on the Internet. 

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #95 on: August 28, 2015, 01:38:56 pm »

VERY well said!   :amen:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline aligncare

« Reply #96 on: August 28, 2015, 01:47:05 pm »
VERY well said!   :amen:

For those people worried about the fate of the GOP? If the GOP started fighting democrat nonsense, I mean really standing up for their principles (translate that to 'platform') and for their base, they could easily become the dominant, winning party of the future.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #97 on: August 28, 2015, 01:49:16 pm »
For those people worried about the fate of the GOP? If the GOP started fighting democrat nonsense, I mean really standing up for their principles (translate that to 'platform') and for their base, they could easily become the dominant, winning party of the future.

As I have been screaming at them for decades!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #98 on: August 28, 2015, 01:51:17 pm »

First they'd need to go native on the mainstream media complex.   :pondering:

Offline aligncare

« Reply #99 on: August 28, 2015, 01:53:20 pm »
As I have been screaming at them for decades!

:patriot:

Yep. And we love you for it Bigun.  :thumbsup2: