Author Topic: Immigrant women allege abuse, poor care at U.S. detention centers  (Read 308 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Thousands of the child migrants and refugees that came to the U.S. from Central America last year in an unprecedented wave are now in long-term holding facilities. Last year, at least 60,000 so-called “family units”, usually mothers with small children, entered the U.S. illegally, according to the government. Most were from Central America, many fleeing spikes in violence in Honduras, El Salvador and Guatemala.

Now, 1,400 immigrant mothers and their children are being held in three facilities, two in Karnes and Dilley, Texas, near San Antonio, and a third in Berks, Pennsylvania.

Just last week, a Nashville attorney filed a tort claim on behalf of five immigrant mothers held in these facilities. The women seek millions in damages from the U.S. government, for what they say is psychological and physical harm they suffered as a result of their detention.

For this week’s Shortwave podcast, we talk to Barbara Hines, co-director of the immigration law center at the University of Texas for more on these holding facilities.

This piece is part of a series of episodes we’re doing this summer on last year’s migrant crisis. In June, we re-visited the story of an 11-year-old boy who came to the U.S. during last year’s massive influx of child migrants from Central America. Last month, we talked about how Mexico has toughened its Southern border patrols with help from the U.S., slowing the number of migrants and refugees.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/immigrant-women-allege-abuse-poor-medical-care-detention-centers/
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Re: Immigrant women allege abuse, poor care at U.S. detention centers
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 04:29:12 am »
This is pretty much Obama's baby.  If I understand it correctly - the general public is not allowed to see where these people are being kept and what conditions they are living in.  I know there were several "faith-based groups" that received large amounts of money to facilitate their care at the time.

The story just dropped off the radar, kind of like the whole ebola thing.

Strange.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline raml

Re: Immigrant women allege abuse, poor care at U.S. detention centers
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 04:41:19 am »
They need to be sent home if they don't like there accommodations here we owe them nothing. Maybe Obama had better open his personal checkbook to them if any money is owed due to treatment. He and he alone is responsible for them being here.