Author Topic: Donald Trump Mocks Republicans For Using A Phrase That He Took From Reagan  (Read 375 times)

bkepley

SHOSHANA WEISSMANN
TWS

How Reaganesque...or something.

At a rally in South Carolina Thursday, Donald Trump attacked Republicans for “copying” his phrase, "make America great again." 

But there's a problem—that's not his phrase.

The Daily Mail reports that President Ronald Reagan "first popularized the line in 1979, plastering 'Let's Make America Great Again' on posters and buttons. A recent Rolling Stone article suggested Trump was 'America's stupidest person' for believing he dreamed it up."

Republicans invoking the beloved conservative president is nothing new. Affinity for President Reagan is a unifier on the right, so Republicans often quote him. 

Trump copyrighted (he actually meant "trademarked") President Reagan's phrase.

"I actually went out and copyrighted it, because people were using it that I'm running against," he explained.

Aside from Trump abusing America's intellectual property system by trademarking another person's phrase, he also beclowned himself by attacking  . . . himself.

He said, "And it just shows about a politician - they can't even come up with their own terms, they have to copy you, right? There are other good terms I could come up with. I don't think anything says it better than that."

Indeed, Mr. Trump.

More here: http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/donald-trump-mocks-republicans-using-phrase-he-took-reagan_1020353.html