Author Topic: Colin Powell: Iran pact a 'pretty good deal'  (Read 1369 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Colin Powell: Iran pact a 'pretty good deal'
« on: September 06, 2015, 03:13:57 pm »
http://thehill.com/policy/international/252860-colin-powell-iran-pact-a-pretty-good-deal

By Scott Wong - 09/06/15 10:59 AM EDT

Former Secretary of State Colin Powell came out in support of President Obama’s agreement to curb Iran’s nuclear program, calling it a “pretty good deal.”

Powell, a retired general who led the State Department under GOP President George W. Bush, said he had vigorously studied the deal and listened to arguments from both supporters and opponents.

“My judgment after balancing those two sets of information is that it’s a pretty good deal,” Powell declared on NBC’s “Meet the Press.”

“The great concern from the opposition is that we’re leaving open a lane for Iran to create a nuclear weapon in 10 to 15 years,” he added. “The reality is that they have been on a super highway for the last 10 years to create a nuclear weapon … with no speed limit.”

Powell represents a high-profile Republican endorsement for Obama’s nuclear agreement. The deal has no support from Republicans on Capitol Hill, who will vote to block it when lawmakers return to Washington later this week.

However, 34 Democratic senators are publicly backing the Iran agreement, giving the president enough votes to ensure the deal will overcome any GOP efforts to kill it.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline flowers

Re: Colin Powell: Iran pact a 'pretty good deal'
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 04:49:40 pm »
I met him once. I was so proud to have met him. Not so much anymore.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 06:56:26 pm »
My cousin worked around Powell.  Told me he was a politicians politician.
A product of affirmative action.  At least he had enough sense to stay out of Norman Schwarzkopf's way.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 07:26:11 pm »
My question is that how did Powell, a private citizen, know enough about the "Arrangement", that he would say this?
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Godzilla

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 07:36:29 pm »
My question is that how did Powell, a private citizen, know enough about the "Arrangement", that he would say this?

I'd wager that John Kerry informed him.  The current Secretary of State to a former.

It wouldn't be too uncommon.  After all, Kissinger was highly valued long after his term as Secretary of State was over.

Your post looks to be insinuating that something shady happened.

Offline Paladin

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 08:21:25 pm »
"Your post looks to be insinuating that something shady happened."

No, his post looks to be questioning how Powell knows what is really in the agreement, including the secret protocols. This explanation is just so wanting: "I'd wager that John Kerry informed him.  The current Secretary of State to a former."
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2015, 09:18:02 pm »
"Your post looks to be insinuating that something shady happened."

No, his post looks to be questioning how Powell knows what is really in the agreement, including the secret protocols. This explanation is just so wanting: "I'd wager that John Kerry informed him.  The current Secretary of State to a former."

Seems to me that Barack & Friends also have something on Colin Powell...that Powell doesn't want out.   Perhaps a sexual affair while he was in the military or as Sec of State.

"Hello?  Colin?   We need to to affirm the Iranian Agreement this weekend.  How's your lovely, dedicated wife, Colin?"

It probably no more complicated than that.  Let's not forget how effective it was on Gen Patraeus.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline evadR

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 02:24:43 am »
Seems to me that Barack & Friends also have something on Colin Powell...that Powell doesn't want out.   Perhaps a sexual affair while he was in the military or as Sec of State.

"Hello?  Colin?   We need to to affirm the Iranian Agreement this weekend.  How's your lovely, dedicated wife, Colin?"

It probably no more complicated than that.  Let's not forget how effective it was on Gen Patraeus.
Until I hear a better explanation, I'm giving yours high probability marks.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2015, 02:47:15 am »

Offline evadR

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2015, 03:58:27 am »
Logic and Reason for Dummies

Offline flowers

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2015, 06:37:47 pm »
Exactly.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2015, 06:46:43 pm »

Just parroting the party line like a good team player.   :whistle:

Offline evadR

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2015, 08:29:26 pm »
Just parroting the party line like a good team player.   :whistle:
That was my first thought.
Actually, it's my 2nd thought too.