Author Topic: Politico: Rick Perry presidential run on death watch  (Read 660 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Politico: Rick Perry presidential run on death watch
« on: August 26, 2015, 01:39:56 am »
http://www.politico.com/story/2015/08/rick-perry-2016-restructuring-iowa-121730.html?cmpid=sf

Rick Perry presidential run on death watch

The former Texas governor is reorganizing his Iowa staff — a development that could signal the beginning of the end.

By Alex Isenstadt and Katie Glueck

8/25/15 3:01 PM EDT

Updated 8/25/15 6:51 PM EDT

The Rick Perry death watch is on.

The former Texas governor, who hoped he would fare better in this presidential election than in his disastrous 2012 try, is poised to reorganize his already under-funded and under-manned staff in Iowa — a development that some of his top aides concede may be the beginning of the end.

The plans were announced on a Monday conference call with Perry’s campaign aides. During the call, according to two campaign officials, the aides were informed that a reorganization was being worked out and would be completed either late this week or early next week. While the campaign did not detail the changes, some on the call said they expect them to be dramatic.

One Republican operative in Iowa said that half a dozen Perry staffers currently working in the state contacted him on Monday to inquire about job prospects. Also on Monday, Sam Clovis, Perry’s Iowa co-chairman and a prized operative, announced that he was departing the campaign, and on Tuesday confirmed that he was defecting to be national campaign co-chair and senior policy adviser to Donald Trump, who has zoomed to the top of the pack.

There are plenty of examples of campaigns recovering from near-death experiences, from John McCain in 2008 to Newt Gingrich in 2012. But the alarming signs of financial distress are increasing for the former Texas governor, with many on his campaign staff girding for deep cuts in Iowa — a state Perry has made the focus of his presidential aspirations, but where he finds himself badly trailing.

Some political operatives in Iowa believe that Perry may choose to limit his presence in the state moving forward — perhaps intensifying his focus on South Carolina, another key early state.

“We’re going through a restructuring. We’ll know by the end of the week what our team looks like going forward,” said Robert Haus, a veteran Republican strategist in the state who led Monday’s conference call, which was held with other staffers in the state. “Every campaign does a periodic review,” he added. “How do we maximize our resources to get the job done?”

It’s a crushing comedown for Perry, who has already lived through one imploding campaign: In 2011, he entered the Republican contest as the presumptive front-runner, but his campaign quickly fell apart amid disastrous debate appearances, culminating in his “oops” moment in a primary debate. Perry, who at the time was recovering from back surgery, has chalked those missteps up in part to poor health, and returned to the national stage in recent years determined to show that last cycle was an aberration from the otherwise-successful political record of the longest-serving governor in Texas history.

In the years since, Perry — with his fashionable new glasses — sought to brand himself as a serious-minded policy wonk, crisscrossing the country to deliver speeches on the perils of threats from abroad and spending months holding sessions with top conservative policy experts.

Yet Perry’s 2016 hopes have begun to fade. Overshadowed by fresher faces like Marco Rubio, better fundraisers like Jeb Bush, and louder voices like Donald Trump, the former governor has taken a nose-dive in state and national polls. He failed to qualify for the prime-time Republican debate in Cleveland, and, earlier this month, amid fundraising troubles, the campaign acknowledged that it had stopped paying staffers (though some payments have resumed).

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/08/rick-perry-2016-restructuring-iowa-121730.html#ixzz3jsgbfVL0
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Politico: Rick Perry presidential run on death watch
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 01:46:33 am »
Perry is trying to make chicken salad out of chicken sh!te.  He needs to take Santorum, Graham, Pataki, Jindal with him.

None of them are going anywhere.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline famousdayandyear

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 02:38:29 am »
Hate to hear that about Rick Perry.  I had always admired him and the way he governed Texas--a great prosperous state.  Also I thought he would make a fine Command In Chief.  Sorry, he made those remarks early on about D.Trump, but he did; and it cost him. 

Still, he would serve as a great SecDef.  Who knows?

Offline famousdayandyear

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 02:44:52 am »
And one more thing about Perry:  He had the b*lls to stand up to Obama and the feds more than once.  Over border problems, energy, and Texas took back their own gold reserves from the feds.  There's more; can't think of them right now.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 02:47:49 am »
Hate to hear that about Rick Perry.  I had always admired him and the way he governed Texas--a great prosperous state.  Also I thought he would make a fine Command In Chief.  Sorry, he made those remarks early on about D.Trump, but he did; and it cost him. 

He's ahead of his time.  McCain was on death watch too.  I ain't counting him out...it's Aug of 2015.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 02:47:54 am »

Yes, he would be great in a cabinet position...should a Republican win the presidency.  He was my first pick, but I've learned over the years that my first pick never wins, so I hated to jinx him like that.

8888crybaby

Scott Walker was my second pick.......and it's not looking good for him right now.

**nononono*

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline famousdayandyear

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 02:54:35 am »
If I were a consultant to Perry, I'd say ditch the glasses, wear your regular old boots you always wore, open carry your 1911, and talk regular like.  You know like you were in Texas all the time.  Just be yourself.  People (like me) like that.

Because I am a fan.

Offline famousdayandyear

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 03:40:09 am »
One more thing:  Rick Perry served his country.  Important to know.