Author Topic: Two GOP Leaders Reportedly Plot Strategy to Slow Down Trump  (Read 7301 times)

Offline EdinVA

Re: Two GOP Leaders Reportedly Plot Strategy to Slow Down Trump
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2015, 08:37:36 pm »
There's nothing in your post that contradicts what I said.

Our colleagues found that, although Common Core is voluntary for states to adopt, the federal government has had a role in encouraging them to adopt the standards.

So, it's A) voluntary, and B) a set of standards, not curriculum.

Basically, Common Core developed a set of standard levels of proficiency for students to \meet as they move from one grade to another. The curriculum is the actual flow and content of the classes.

Common Core does not require any State to adhere to any specific content, follow any specific syllabus, use any specific set of textbooks, or adhere to any program, including Common Core itself.

So, the federal government didn’t force Common Core on the states, but it did create incentives for states to adopt the standards.

I think some remedial reading lessons may help with that selective interpretation Luis... :)

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2015, 08:43:07 pm »
So, the federal government didn’t force Common Core on the states, but it did create incentives for states to adopt the standards.

I think some remedial reading lessons may help with that selective interpretation Luis... :)

Yes.

So, if the Federal government offers incentives and the States take them, the States are forced to do something?

By those standards prostitution is rape, not a business transaction.

Got it.

Here's a wildly innovative idea.

If the States don't want to be beholden to, or controlled by the Federal government, they shouldn't bend over for money.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 08:43:47 pm by Luis Gonzalez »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2015, 08:48:18 pm »

Here's a scenario testing your logic:

Some gay guy - Hey EdinVA, let's have homosexual sex. The Courts say it's OK you know.
You - I am NOT gay, go away.
Some gay guy  - I'll give you $100 if you do!
You - Well... in that case.
Some gay guy - Thanks ERdinVA, here's your $100
You - POLICE! ARREST THIS MAN! HE FORCED ME TO #^%(# HIS p^%##!
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2015, 08:49:40 pm »

Some gay guy - Hey EdinVA, let's have homosexual sex. The Courts say it's OK you know.

Where did that come from?

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2015, 08:51:07 pm »

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2015, 08:52:15 pm »
Yes.

So, if the Federal government offers incentives and the States take them, the States are forced to do something?

By those standards prostitution is rape, not a business transaction.

Got it.

Here's a wildly innovative idea.

If the States don't want to be beholden to, or controlled by the Federal government, they shouldn't bend over for money.

If the feds would stay out of it, the citizens in the state would have a better chance of winning these fights but the prospect of feeding the financial habit causes state governments to go deaf.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2015, 08:55:08 pm »
Where did that come from?

That comes from this idea that the Fed offering money to the States is the same as the Feds forcing the States to do something.

It isn't.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2015, 08:57:03 pm »
If the feds would stay out of it, the citizens in the state would have a better chance of winning these fights but the prospect of feeding the financial habit causes state governments to go deaf.

The fight that the citizens of the States need to wage is not electing State politicians that will whore the State out to the Feds.

Wa easier fight than trying to stop the Feds from offering handouts

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2015, 09:07:43 pm »
I think his number one draw is that he's not an established politician and his primary position is to make the USA #1 in the world again, and the Republican Establishment and party have been castrated...by either blackmail, extortion....or something in the Washington, DC water.

It's a variation of "It's the economy, stupid", used by Bill Clinton.
And Bush, Rubio, Paul, Cruz, Perry etc. have been govt. hacks all of their adult lives for the most part.

Some are just better at giving canned speeches, using the right words. I have doubts that Cruz or Rubio could sit in a room for 60 minutes and converse convincingly without scripts about the virtues of free markets, low taxes, minimal regulation when aggressively challenged to do so.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2015, 09:15:24 pm »
The fight that the citizens of the States need to wage is not electing State politicians that will whore the State out to the Feds.

Wa easier fight than trying to stop the Feds from offering handouts

Politician not whoring?  Not possible.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2015, 09:43:34 pm »
That comes from this idea that the Fed offering money to the States is the same as the Feds forcing the States to do something.

It isn't.
But it is bribery, and the Constitution clearly states:

The President, Vice President and all Civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.
—II.4
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline olde north church

« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2015, 01:40:58 am »
I get it now.  You want the 2016 ballot to list:

Hillary Clinton (Democrat)
... (Libertarian Party)
... (Constitution Party)
... (Communist Party)
... (Green Party)

Selectively shaping the vote so that the electorate has only one effective party to vote for.

I must say... that's an exceptionally 'conservative' viewpoint.

Why don't you explain to me what conservative policies I have to show for my vote for my Republican votes?  The last two of which were basically thrown away.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Godzilla

« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2015, 01:53:54 am »
Why don't you explain to me what conservative policies I have to show for my vote for my Republican votes?  The last two of which were basically thrown away.

What Republican party?  Your post that I responded to states that you support Trump because:

I support Trump AT THIS TIME for only one reason:  He is destroying the GOP, an old, infirm, decrepit GOP that serves no one but the Money Men, Political Hacks and Hangers On.  People spoke about changing the party but never had the balls to do.
The only people who are against WHAT TRUMP IS DOING are those who gained by keeping the patient on life support.  People with their own little fiefdoms.

And guess what your ballot will look like when you get your wish and the Republican party is gone.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 01:54:23 am by Godzilla »

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #63 on: August 26, 2015, 02:23:22 am »
mass wrote above:
[[ If I was Trump, I'd get on this right now and make a big, big stink in the media.  It should be worth at least 2 or 3 more points in the polls. ]]

Probably more than that.

Prediction:
Trump is going to pass 40% in New Hampshire before much longer.

If he keeps climbing beyond that, and the "Republican party" elite try to force him out, it's going to turn out to be a disaster.
Not necessarily for Mr. Trump.
But for "the party"?
You betcha!

Offline olde north church

« Reply #64 on: August 26, 2015, 09:55:33 am »
What Republican party?  Your post that I responded to states that you support Trump because:

I support Trump AT THIS TIME for only one reason:  He is destroying the GOP, an old, infirm, decrepit GOP that serves no one but the Money Men, Political Hacks and Hangers On.  People spoke about changing the party but never had the balls to do.
The only people who are against WHAT TRUMP IS DOING are those who gained by keeping the patient on life support.  People with their own little fiefdoms.

And guess what your ballot will look like when you get your wish and the Republican party is gone.

Yeah, maybe we should keep Boehner and McConnell for their effectiveness.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.