Author Topic: Two GOP Leaders Reportedly Plot Strategy to Slow Down Trump  (Read 7302 times)

Offline GourmetDan

Re: Two GOP Leaders Reportedly Plot Strategy to Slow Down Trump
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2015, 02:15:14 pm »
So then Jeb and Scott Walker being the only two candidates to have successfully broken the hold of the NEA in their respective States should be in the lead in the polls, shouldn't they?

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline olde north church

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2015, 02:36:51 pm »
So then Jeb and Scott Walker being the only two candidates to have successfully broken the hold of the NEA in their respective States should be in the lead in the polls, shouldn't they?

Actually, Christie made the teachers his bitches as well.  His problem was the sea side hand on Obama.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2015, 02:50:18 pm »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline famousdayandyear

« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2015, 02:56:51 pm »

Dan, that's just too damn funny.  :beer:

Offline aligncare

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2015, 03:00:23 pm »
:beer:  (at 9 AM, it's Cappuccino.)

Someday, I got to meet you, dude. Mio fratello.

:beer:

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2015, 03:00:37 pm »
Actually, Christie made the teachers his bitches as well.  His problem was the sea side hand on Obama.

Christie hugs Obama and is dropped like a led balloon for doing so.

Trump embraces core liberal ideals and he leads in the polls.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2015, 03:03:01 pm »
Someday, I got to meet you, dude. Mio fratello.

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2015, 03:05:04 pm »

Christie is dropping like a lead balloon because he weighs 300 lbs.

He also has decided to make himself the "LAW AND ORDER" candidate, threatening to go after marijuana users, etc..  That ship has sailed....
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline aligncare

« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2015, 03:05:50 pm »

Well, then, something else must be going on?

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2015, 03:09:26 pm »
Well, then, something else must be going on?

I think his number one draw is that he's not an established politician and his primary position is to make the USA #1 in the world again, and the Republican Establishment and party have been castrated...by either blackmail, extortion....or something in the Washington, DC water.

It's a variation of "It's the economy, stupid", used by Bill Clinton.

Offline Longiron

« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2015, 03:16:14 pm »
You are absolutely right on.  I live in NC and our Republican leadership is a collection of feckless, power grabbing losers.  I am beside myself reading this news today, and I do hope some people in my state raise holy, rebel hell about the craziness of such a proposal.  I'm done with the Republicans when the Senate sold us out beginning last fall, post election.  In my view, they are sleazier than the Dems, who at least will tell you up front what they intend to do.  The Reps lie to you, then do the opposite when elected.
Thank you for your posts.

You are CORRECT but stay in the PUBBIE party until after the PRIMARY so you can vote CONSERVATIVE and against BUSHIE. Those that went Independent with discuss after the 2012 elections hopefully will re register back into the PUBBIE party just to vote in the PRIMARY. Cannot give in and let BUSHIE with 10% of the 18 candidates win? Think about it? After the primary get out again if you want. :patriot:

Offline famousdayandyear

« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2015, 03:21:53 pm »
You are CORRECT but stay in the PUBBIE party until after the PRIMARY so you can vote CONSERVATIVE and against BUSHIE. Those that went Independent with discuss after the 2012 elections hopefully will re register back into the PUBBIE party just to vote in the PRIMARY. Cannot give in and let BUSHIE with 10% of the 18 candidates win? Think about it? After the primary get out again if you want. :patriot:

Yep.  You're right.  I was thinking the NCGOP is currently trying to block him from the Republican primary ballot here.  If so, I'll write him in.  Have a call into GOP HQ to try to clarify what they are doing.  Don't expect them to call back since I'm not a big donor.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2015, 03:23:53 pm »
I think his number one draw is that he's not an established politician and his primary position is to make the USA #1 in the world again, and the Republican Establishment and party have been castrated...by either blackmail, extortion....or something in the Washington, DC water.

It's a variation of "It's the economy, stupid", used by Bill Clinton.

Also, the MSM loves Trump because he is a ratings machine and a pop icon.  I think a lot of Republicans are tired of being outsiders as far as pop culture is concerned.  Trump makes the GOP "cool."  I know this has nothing to do with ideology, but swing voters pay no attention to political philosophy and instead vote purely on intuition that has been carefully crafted by instant gratification.  Trump is OPapaDoc in this regard.  He transcends politics.  He is pure marketing.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2015, 03:26:56 pm »
Dan, that's just too damn funny.

I got more...     

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Longiron

« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2015, 03:27:21 pm »
Yep.  You're right.  I was thinking the NCGOP is currently trying to block him from the Republican primary ballot here.  If so, I'll write him in.  Have a call into GOP HQ to try to clarify what they are doing.  Don't expect them to call back since I'm not a big donor.

You also can GOOGLE the GOP from your state and Voter Registration and download the form to change your party status. Their is a change party box to check and mail it in and that should do the trick?

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2015, 03:27:48 pm »

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2015, 03:56:39 pm »
Luis, thank you for the detailed post.  I agree with you on everything, except the sentence in bold...

The "Federal Government" may not itself, inject any curriculum, but the public teachers' unions sure as hell can do the deed.

It's all about the money.... If you adopt my standards then the Dept of Ed will award you millions in grant money.
The states are so hungry for money, that dance like an accordion players monkey.

Offline famousdayandyear

« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2015, 04:02:51 pm »
It's all about the money.... If you adopt my standards then the Dept of Ed will award you millions in grant money.
The states are so hungry for money, that dance like an accordion players monkey.

In NC, Common Core was quietly implemented by way of a very hush hush, backdoor deal with the Superintendent of Education (June Adkinson) while we were under Bev Perdue's Democrat administration--in exchange for large sums of money from the  feds.

It wasn't until parents started seeing the curricula that hell broke lose in NC.
There were public hearings and the state withdrew, while forming a group to undo the damage. 

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2015, 05:44:38 pm »

Common Core standards are NOT set by the Federal government.

Why do you insist on promoting such an inaccuracy?
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2015, 05:45:05 pm »
In NC, Common Core was quietly implemented by way of a very hush hush, backdoor deal with the Superintendent of Education (June Adkinson) while we were under Bev Perdue's Democrat administration--in exchange for large sums of money from the  feds.

It wasn't until parents started seeing the curricula that hell broke lose in NC.
There were public hearings and the state withdrew, while forming a group to undo the damage.

The curriculum was picked by your local school District. Common Core establishes the standards that kids need to meet, but each State picks how to get there.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 05:47:00 pm by Luis Gonzalez »

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2015, 06:11:39 pm »

PolitiFact Florida also addressed the second part of Pope’s claim -- that federal officials "do not have their fingerprints" on Common Core. Our colleagues found that, although Common Core is voluntary for states to adopt, the federal government has had a role in encouraging them to adopt the standards.

To get grants from Race to the Top -- Obama’s signature education program -- or waivers from the mandates of No Child Left Behind -- an education reform law adopted under President George W. Bush -- states have to prove they have standards to prepare students for college and work. They don’t have to adopt the Common Core Standards, but that works as one way to qualify for grants or waivers.

There was a rush by states to adopt Common Core by August 2010 because establishing standards won them points in the competition for a share of the billions in Race to the Top grants.

Tom McCarthy, a spokesman for Pope, acknowledged "there really wasn’t a credible alternative to Common Core" at the time.

So, the federal government didn’t force Common Core on the states, but it did create incentives for states to adopt the standards.

http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/statements/2013/oct/24/sondy-pope/how-much-federal-government-involved-common-core-s/

Offline famousdayandyear

« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2015, 06:25:43 pm »

In NC the curricula WERE NOT SET locally, but by a bunch of DC Democrats.
That's what the hearings were about, where teachers were the largest component of the opposition to them.  I was there.

Please stop harassing me.  My post in not inaccurate, and I very much your resent your implying I am a chronic liar.  If you have a complaint, take it to Myst, please and leave me alone.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2015, 08:11:57 pm »
In NC the curricula WERE NOT SET locally, but by a bunch of DC Democrats.
That's what the hearings were about, where teachers were the largest component of the opposition to them.  I was there.

Please stop harassing me.  My post in not inaccurate, and I very much your resent your implying I am a chronic liar.  If you have a complaint, take it to Myst, please and leave me alone.

Common Core is a set of standards, not curriculum.

The Federal government is forbidden, by Federal law, from setting school curriculum for any schools.

From http://www.ncpublicschools.org/core-explained/faq/

I’ve heard the Common Core is required by the federal government to create a national curriculum. Is this true?

No. Development of the Common Core State Standards began in 2009 when a group of governors and local state superintendents in 2009 began discussing how useful it would be if there were state standards in the two basic subject areas of English language arts and mathematics. This would help students who move within their K-12 education, it would help textbook developers be more efficient and it would provide consistency for students nationwide. The National Governors’ Association and the Council of Chief State School Officers provided support for this initiative. To date, 45 states have adopted the Common Core State Standards. The U.S. Department of Education has endorsed the standards, but its endorsement came after the states had developed these standards on their own.

From http://www.ncpolicywatch.com/2013/08/06/common-core-comes-under-fire-in-north-carolina/

The Common Core State Standards were developed in 2009 after the National Governors Association and the Council of Chief State School Officers hired David Coleman, who is currently the president of the College Board and formerly a board member of Michelle Rhee’s StudentsFirst , to write the standards, which are intended to improve student achievement and college and career readiness.

Standards have been developed so far for English language arts and mathematics. Forty-five states have adopted the CCSS, which, as many familiar with the standards are quick to point out, provide guidelines for what students should know and be able to do in grades K-12. They are not curricula and do not direct teachers on how and with what resources to teach.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2015, 08:19:16 pm »

There's nothing in your post that contradicts what I said.

Our colleagues found that, although Common Core is voluntary for states to adopt, the federal government has had a role in encouraging them to adopt the standards.

So, it's A) voluntary, and B) a set of standards, not curriculum.

Basically, Common Core developed a set of standard levels of proficiency for students to \meet as they move from one grade to another. The curriculum is the actual flow and content of the classes.

Common Core does not require any State to adhere to any specific content, follow any specific syllabus, use any specific set of textbooks, or adhere to any program, including Common Core itself.

Godzilla

« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2015, 08:22:57 pm »
I support Trump AT THIS TIME for only one reason:  He is destroying the GOP, an old, infirm, decrepit GOP that serves no one but the Money Men, Political Hacks and Hangers On.  People spoke about changing the party but never had the balls to do.
The only people who are against WHAT TRUMP IS DOING are those who gained by keeping the patient on life support.  People with their own little fiefdoms.

I get it now.  You want the 2016 ballot to list:

Hillary Clinton (Democrat)
... (Libertarian Party)
... (Constitution Party)
... (Communist Party)
... (Green Party)

Selectively shaping the vote so that the electorate has only one effective party to vote for.

I must say... that's an exceptionally 'conservative' viewpoint.