Author Topic: Sen. Lee: WH Hasn’t Responded to Congressional Inquiries Regarding EPA’s Toxic Spill  (Read 361 times)

rangerrebew

Sen. Lee: WH Hasn’t Responded to Congressional Inquiries Regarding EPA’s Toxic Spill

(CNSNews.com) – Neither the White House nor the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) – the federal agency tasked with protecting public health and the country’s natural resources – have responded to inquiries sent by members of Congress from states impacted by the EPA’s toxic chemical spill in Colorado two weeks ago, a spokesperson with Sen. Mike Lee’s (R-UT) office told CNSNews.com.

Senate and House members from Utah, New Mexico and Colorado have sent letters to President Barack Obama and EPA Inspector General Arthur Elkins, Jr. seeking accountability for the estimated three million gallons of toxic mine waste EPA employees released into Western waterways.

But Sen. Lee sent out a press release on Thursday explaining that he and other members of Congress from the states affected have still not received replies from the Obama administration.

The mine waste, which contained high concentrations of arsenic, lead and other heavy metals, was accidentally released into the Animas River by EPA workers as they inspected the long-abandoned Gold King Mine near Silverton, Colorado on Aug. 5, the Associated Press reported [1].

In an Aug. 17 letter [2] to the president signed by all members of the congressional delegation from Utah, where the polluted water reached Lake Powell [3] after travelling 300 miles downstream, the administration was chided for its slow response to the “disaster”.

“Unfortunately, EPA failed to contact the state of Utah within twenty-four hours of the spill. This reckless behavior is intolerable,” the letter states.

“The federal government must implement a more transparent and efficient cleanup effort if it is to aid Utah’s scientists and make our communities whole again,” adds the letter, which was signed by Lee, Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah), and GOP House members Rob Bishop, Jason Chaffetz, Chris Stewart and Mia Love.

“In the long-term, the federal government must ensure that the state and local governments forced to spend money protecting their citizens are adequately and quickly compensated,” the letter added.

In an Aug. 19 letter [4] to Elkins, all the senators from the states of Colorado, New Mexico and Utah, including Sen. Michael Bennet (D-CO), Sen. Tom Udall (D-NM), Sen. Martin Heinrich (D-NM) and Sen. Cory Gardner (R-CO), pointed out that “the release of contaminated water from this legacy mine has polluted the Animas River in Colorado and spread through New Mexico, Utah, the Southern Ute Indian Reservation and the Navajo Nation.”

“The EPA’s execution of this project fell far short of the standards to which any cleanup operation should adhere,” the members of Congress complained.

They also provided 13 questions they want to see answered by the inspector general’s “preliminary inquiry” into the spill.

The 13 questions seek specific facts, including the expertise of the EPA workers at the Gold King Mine; the criteria EPA would apply for such work if it was done by a private sector company; whether the delay of information to interested parties about the spill created any health risks; and details about the procedures, or lack thereof, that led to the spill.

As reported earlier by CNSNews.com, EPA Administrator Gina McCarthy said at a news conference on Aug. 11 that her agency is “taking responsibility [5]” for the toxic release.

But according to the AP, the problem is not going away anytime soon.

“It will take many years and many millions of dollars simply to manage and not even remove the toxic wastewater from an abandoned mine that unleashed a 100-mile-long torrent of heavy metals into Western rivers and has likely reached Lake Powell,” AP reported [6] Aug. 13.

“Plugging Colorado's Gold King Mine could simply lead to an eventual explosion of poisonous water elsewhere, so the safest solution… would be to install a treatment plant that would indefinitely clean the water from Gold King and three other nearby mines.”

Related: EPA Downplays Dangers of Mine Spill, But Concerns Linger [7]

Related: NM Gov. Martinez: 'We Have People Preparing a Lawsuit' Against EPA [8]
Source URL: http://cnsnews.com/news/article/penny-starr/sen-lee-hite-house-still-hasnt-responded-congressional-inquiries-regarding

Offline libertybele

This certainly is catastrophic and those responsible should be held accountable. Having visited the area affected; Colorado river, Durango and Silverton while on vacation a few years back, it is some of the most breathtakingly beautiful land I have ever seen - the area was pristine. I personally feel that this was no accident; the EPA which is supposed to be the "god" that protects our environment and surely knew the risk  should have prepared for the risk.  They were going to treat the area because of a ph reading that was no more acidic than beer?  Really?  EPA officials have stated that the spill could continue on for several years.  Saying "oopsie" we made a mistake and have polluted a waterway affecting bodies of water in several states including an Indian reservation doesn't cut it.  Typically it takes years or even decades to know the health affect from metals.

Over three million gallons (3x originally reported) of mine pollutants are flowing. I wonder who is going to benefit financially from this mess??  Better question perhaps, what kind of now needed regulations are going to be inflicted upon us because of this government "accident"?  Meanwhile the immediate area affected is on a restricted 90 day water supply and California is in a drought and has warned that the drought could seriously affect the food supply.  The Colorado river is vital to sustaining and supporting southern California. 

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/aug/07/toxic-mine-water-epa-colorado-animas-river

http://www.parkerliveonline.com/2015/08/11/to-the-editor-will-the-colorado-mine-spill-affect-the-parker-strip/

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/10/us/animas-river-toxic-spill-colorado/
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.