Author Topic: House GOP Chairman Stops Keystone XL Push, Calls It ‘Poison Pill’  (Read 1073 times)

Offline Paladin

The GOP House leadership once again demonstrates it cannot be trusted and its promises mean nothing.

"Rep. Fred Upton (R-Mich.), the chairman of the House Committee on Energy and Commerce, has decided to take the Keystone XL pipeline off the table as part of the committee’s energy bill.

“One of the things I’m actively working against is what I call poison pills by one side or the other — so yes, of course I support Keystone. We’ve had a number of votes on that, but I know that’s not going to fly,” Upton said at an event sponsored by National Journal.

“We’re not going to get the president to sign that as part of any deal. He vetoed it as a separate deal – that’s not going to be part of this bill,” he added.

In March, the Senate failed to override President Obama’s veto of the Keystone XL pipeline.

“The president’s veto of the bipartisan Keystone bill represents a victory for partisanship and for powerful special interests,” Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) said at the time. “The president’s veto of the bipartisan Keystone bill represents a defeat for jobs, infrastructure, and the middle class.”

Upton also expressed doubt that nuclear energy will be included in the bill.

“I don’t know if we’ll have a specific nuclear title as part of this and on the issue of nuclear waste, which is related for sure, we’re not going to be ready to include something like that as part of an energy bill we’re going to mark up next month,” he said. “For me, I’ll say I support nuclear. Again, I’ve got two facilities in my district – thousands of jobs.” "

http://pjmedia.com/blog/house-gop-chairman-stops-keystone-xl-push-calls-it-poison-pill/

Upton, many of you may recall, was a major influence in removing incandescent bulbs from the market place, and forcing us, for our own good, to use the "green" alternative so prevalent today. That, plus a number of other Upton questionable actions, make him the poster boy for what we call a RINO.

Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline famousdayandyear

Re: House GOP Chairman Stops Keystone XL Push, Calls It ‘Poison Pill’
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 06:29:36 am »
The GOP House leadership once again demonstrates it cannot be trusted and its promises mean nothing.

"Rep. Fred Upton (R-Mich.), the chairman of the House Committee on Energy and Commerce, has decided to take the Keystone XL pipeline off the table as part of the committee’s energy bill.

“One of the things I’m actively working against is what I call poison pills by one side or the other — so yes, of course I support Keystone. We’ve had a number of votes on that, but I know that’s not going to fly,” Upton said at an event sponsored by National Journal.

“We’re not going to get the president to sign that as part of any deal. He vetoed it as a separate deal – that’s not going to be part of this bill,” he added.

In March, the Senate failed to override President Obama’s veto of the Keystone XL pipeline.

“The president’s veto of the bipartisan Keystone bill represents a victory for partisanship and for powerful special interests,” Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) said at the time. “The president’s veto of the bipartisan Keystone bill represents a defeat for jobs, infrastructure, and the middle class.”

Upton also expressed doubt that nuclear energy will be included in the bill.

“I don’t know if we’ll have a specific nuclear title as part of this and on the issue of nuclear waste, which is related for sure, we’re not going to be ready to include something like that as part of an energy bill we’re going to mark up next month,” he said. “For me, I’ll say I support nuclear. Again, I’ve got two facilities in my district – thousands of jobs.” "

http://pjmedia.com/blog/house-gop-chairman-stops-keystone-xl-push-calls-it-poison-pill/

Upton, many of you may recall, was a major influence in removing incandescent bulbs from the market place, and forcing us, for our own good, to use the "green" alternative so prevalent today. That, plus a number of other Upton questionable actions, make him the poster boy for what we call a RINO.

How tone deaf can an elected person be?
Oh, Lawd....make it stop!

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 06:52:45 am »
Upton is in a swing district it went Romney 50% - Obama 49% in 2012.  You will not elect a more conservative Republican in that district.

He's pretty popular in his district too.  He was just elected to his 14th term.  I think some people are just going to have to deal with it.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 12:18:34 pm »
Upton is in a swing district it went Romney 50% - Obama 49% in 2012.  You will not elect a more conservative Republican in that district.

He's pretty popular in his district too.  He was just elected to his 14th term.  I think some people are just going to have to deal with it.

The American people have just had to "deal with it" since Obama got elected.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 12:26:08 pm »
I'm still trying to figure out what the GOP actually stands for these days.

:shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 01:24:12 pm »
How tone deaf can an elected person be?
Oh, Lawd....make it stop!

Apparently it's a disease for which there seems to be no cure short of a 2 x 4 upside the head!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Paladin

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 08:09:20 pm »

That may be the case but with Upton it goes beyond his merely being elected. He's also the chair of an important House committee and a member of the GOP House leadership. His advocacy of the incandescent light bulb ban almost cost him his chairmanship until he did a flip flop and switched positons to save his obviously unprincipled ass.

It also ought be pointed out that Boehner has no problems punishing those Conservative House members who oppose his ineffectual rule, but he seems incapable of dealing with a member who betrays supposed Republican principles. That's just more busy as usual from the GOPe.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline flowers

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 08:53:13 pm »
I'm still trying to figure out what the GOP actually stands for these days.

:shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

Gutless Old Party!

Offline Paladin

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 11:48:08 pm »
Gourmet Dan occasionally comments that the role of the GOP is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrats. Observation certainly appears to validate his opinion.

Gourmet Dan should you read this, I hope you are not offended by my borrowing of what I consider a very witty comment.

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2015, 12:04:23 am »
So essentially, the Democrats get exactly what they want.  My question is: what have the Republicans ever got that they wanted...other than personal campaign cash?  Ever?
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan