Author Topic: Levin: 'Completely False' That Children Born to Illegals Have Constitutional Right to Citizenship  (Read 5667 times)

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Ah.......... so your response to my post applauding the obvious superiority of Levin's expertise to yours was actually directed at those who 'elevated' Levin, and not at me......

Good to know.

The global warming parallel is still completely invalid, however, since the two situations are not even remotely the same and any connection that makes you think they are is unique to you.

It doesn't lead to the conclusion you are trying to make it lead to, since the global warming hoax is based on lies, a political agenda designed to destroy capitalism and elevate Marxism, and the pseudo-scientists promoting it are doing so to get funds for their 'research.'

Not the same as Levin, his Constitutional expertise and his love of country.

Not the same at all.

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Which is the more highly qualified constitutional lawyer? Levin or Cruz?

--The former Solicitor General of the state of Texas, or

--A guy fortunate to have been a low level appointee during Reagan, and playing off that status ever since in the entertainment field?

Which one has been before the US Supreme Court and won cases? Which has been elected to high office?

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline musiclady

Those scientists who believe that man-made global warming exists are at least every bit the experts on their field (if not more) as Levin is on his.

Who are you to dismiss their opinions on lies?

You're just some retired music teacher.

Get that?

That's exactly what aligncare did to me.

I' m not retired.  I'm still teaching at two different Universities.  :laugh:

I do note, however, your keen sensitivity to criticism, and that you take it out on everyone around.  I was responding to relic, and you got your dander up because aligncare hurt your feelings.

Sorry about that, but your parallel still isn't valid.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
I' m not retired.  I'm still teaching at two different Universities.  :laugh:

I do note, however, your keen sensitivity to criticism, and that you take it out on everyone around.  I was responding to relic, and you got your dander up because aligncare hurt your feelings.

Sorry about that, but your parallel still isn't valid.

There are criticisms and there are insults.

I don't like being insulted (or slighted) any more than anyone else here does. You included.

My parallel is absolutely valid, and you know it.

You just don't like to be told that you're wrong.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Which is the more highly qualified constitutional lawyer? Levin or Cruz?

--The former Solicitor General of the state of Texas, or

--A guy fortunate to have been a low level appointee during Reagan, and playing off that status ever since in the entertainment field?

Which one has been before the US Supreme Court and won cases? Which has been elected to high office?

Stop it.

You'll hurt people's feelings.

Offline aligncare

Those scientists who believe that man-made global warming exists are at least every bit the experts on their field (if not more) as Levin is on his.

Who are you to dismiss their opinions on lies?

You're just some retired music teacher.

Get that?

That's exactly what aligncare did to me.

Then I'll take this opportunity to apologize, since that was not typical for me. But, damn it, Luis, you're not even conceding the possibility that birthright citizenship at its root is not helping the everyday American, or that the constitution never saw the possibility of Mexico being complicit in easing its indigent population problem through export, nor that the Constitutionit ever intended birthright citizenship to apply to illegal aliens, or that it might be stirring up a backlash and send events spiraling out of control.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

I don't like being insulted (or slighted) any more than anyone else here does. You included.

Luis, you know I love you, brother.

Just as an observation, I could understand how you've been married 3 times.      :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Luis, you know I love you, brother.

Just as an observation, I could understand how you've been married 3 times.      :laugh:

Yeah... but they kept coming back for the sex.

Online DCPatriot

Yeah... but they kept coming back for the sex.

To that, I've no doubt!   :beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline aligncare

To that, I've no doubt!   :beer:

Apropos of nothing, Levin comes on the RF airwaves and is streaming on iHeart in 20 minutes... :whistle:

Offline musiclady

I don't mind it a bit if I AM wrong.   That's how we learn things, Luis.

Keep that in mind in the future.

Even the great Luis can still learn things if he applies himself........  ^-^

(But incidentally, I'm not wrong.  Your parallel is goofy, and your slighting of Levin's credentials silly).

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline aligncare

Offline musiclady

Apropos of nothing, Levin comes on the RF airwaves and is streaming on iHeart in 20 minutes... :whistle:

My problem with Levin is that, though he is a brilliant scholar and writer, he's a manic talk show host.

I can't stand to listen to him.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Then I'll take this opportunity to apologize, since that was not typical for me. But, damn it, Luis, you're not even conceding the possibility that birthright citizenship at its root is not helping the everyday American, or that the constitution never saw the possibility of Mexico being complicit in easing its indigent population problem through export, nor that the Constitution ever intended birthright citizenship to apply to illegal aliens, or that it might be stirring up a backlash and send events spiraling out of control.

That's not what is being discussed.

The Constitution very much intended to confer birthright citizenship. I provided quotes pulled from the Congressional record proving that point, however the problem of illegal immigration as we know it right now was not considered because it didn't exist then. The antecedents of those who today make up the bulk of the illegal alien population simply moved back and forth over the border at will as they had for God knows how long.

So (amazingly enough) I agree with Cruz on this issue:

1. The Constitution confers birthright citizenship, and
2. We need to change that.

Both points are valid and not conflicting.

If conservatives take up a fight to prove that every SCOTUS decision that has agreed that the XIV Amendment confers birthright citizenship was wrong, just as Cruz says, they will lose.

If conservatives try to amend the Constitution, it won't get done.

if the States try to take matters into their own hands, the Federal government will (rightly) smack them down.   

The way to do this is to FIRST minimize  the problem by controlling the borders (and no, I don't for one minute think that the Great Wall of Donald is the end all to end all), then by enacting legislation to modify the way we handle people who are in here without proper authorization and their families.

And no, we're not deporting 11 million people and anyone who thinks otherwise is engaging in political fantasy role play.

Online DCPatriot

My problem with Levin is that, though he is a brilliant scholar and writer, he's a manic talk show host.

Can't help but think he's not at all happy to be on between 6-9 PM.

That's only one step away from dedicating love songs on a late night FM show.  He thinks he should be on 3-6.

Mark's opening dialogues can be quite amazing. however.

Offline aligncare

Yes, I turn him off too, at times. But, occasionally, quite often really, he shines. Reminds me of some of my better professors. The history lessons he presents are invaluable.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
I don't mind it a bit if I AM wrong.   That's how we learn things, Luis.

Keep that in mind in the future.

Even the great Luis can still learn things if he applies himself........  ^-^

(But incidentally, I'm not wrong.  Your parallel is goofy, and your slighting of Levin's credentials silly).

Here are Levin's credentials:

Mark Levin served as advisor to several members of President Ronald Reagan's Cabinet, eventually becoming Associate Director of Presidential Personnel and ultimately Chief of Staff to Attorney General Edwin Meese; Levin also served as Deputy Assistant Secretary for Elementary and Secondary Education at the U.S. Department of Education, and Deputy Solicitor of the U.S. Department of the Interior. He has practiced law in the private sector, and is president of the Landmark Legal Foundation in Leesburg, Virginia. He holds a B.A. from Temple University, where he graduated Phi Beta Kappa and magna cum laude, as well as a J.D. from the Temple University Beasley School of Law. Levin is currently a radio show host airing from 6 to 9 PM

Here are Cruz's credentials:

Ted Cruz is the former Solicitor General of Texas, the chief lawyer for the state before the U.S. Supreme Court. Cruz has authored more than eighty U.S. Supreme Court briefs and personally argued forty oral arguments, including nine before the U.S. Supreme Court. He graduated magna cum laude from Harvard Law School and served as an editor of the Harvard Law Review. Cruz is currently a U.S. Senator and a Presidential candidate

Hmmmm... one of those two guys says that the IV Amendment says exactly what I think it says, and the other guy is a radio show host.

Offline musiclady

Yes, I turn him off too, at times. But, occasionally, quite often really, he shines. Reminds me of some of my better professors. The history lessons he presents are invaluable.

Ah yes............but I don't depend on Mark for a grade, ergo, it's not all that hard to turn him off.  ^-^

Offline Paladin

"Hmmmm... one of those two guys says that the IV Amendment says exactly what I think it says..."

The IV Amendment, Luis, customarily written in Arabic numerals as 4th Amendment and not in Roman numerals? You and Senator Cruz are in agreement as to what the Constitution says about search and seizure? Or did you mean to say the 14th which is an entirely different matter?

Alright, I shall not pursue this little avenue of amusement any further. My point, I hope, has been made.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
I put up a post a couple of days back about the "birthright citizenship" issue and how it should be addressed.
You can read it here:
http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,178035.msg700765.html#msg700765

This IS NOT going to be resolved UNTIL the Supreme Court issues a definitive ruling on the matter.

That ruling will come after Congress passes legislation that effectively seizes its right in the matter per the "jurisdiction clause" of the 14th Amendment and outlaws birthright citizenship.

If the Court strikes down any Congressional attempt to ban birthright citizenship, it will then be clear that the only way to repeal it will be through a Constitutional Amendment, most likely through an Article V convention of the states.

There really isn't a point about arguing about it.
The scenario can only proceed as I've outlined above.

Other than that, it's like Mr. Trump sez:
"Deal with it!"
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 02:13:20 am by Fishrrman »

Offline truth_seeker

I don't get the "brilliant scholar" part. I consider Thomas Sowell and Charles Murphy to be brilliant scholars of our day.

Levin belongs with Buchanan, Limbo, Beck, Coulter as self-promoting controversy-fomenting political entertainers.

When Levin screams, my reaction is--I turn him off.

Offline aligncare

I don't get the "brilliant scholar" part. I consider Thomas Sowell and Charles Murphy to be brilliant scholars of our day.

Levin belongs with Buchanan, Limbo, Beck, Coulter as self-promoting controversy-fomenting political entertainers.

When Levin screams, my reaction is--I turn him off.

Have you actually heard Mark while he's weaving one of his lectures on the constitution? Not when he's smacking around an obstinant caller, but when he's deep in the weeds with references and footnotes and guest scholars? He is a brilliant communicator of constitutional concepts.

I'm sorry, I doubt you've ever taken the time to listen, really listen to his opening monologues.

Offline truth_seeker

Have you actually heard Mark while he's weaving one of his lectures on the constitution? Not when he's smacking around an obstinant caller, but when he's deep in the weeds with references and footnotes and guest scholars? He is a brilliant communicator of constitutional concepts.

I'm sorry, I doubt you've ever taken the time to listen, really listen to his opening monologues.
I have listened. I know quite a bit about the history of various political philosophies and systems. I know that our Founders were NOT all of one mind. I know that some of the dilemmas they wrestled with remain unsettled, or took war to settle.

So when somebody like Levin talks down to me from a position of just one version, his version, starts screaming at me--I turn him off, because it is a turnoff.

Let me know when Levin weighs in on the constitutionality of some of Trumps proclamations, about what he proposes to do.

Levin, Beck, Coulter. Spin fine words. It is the entertainment industry.