Author Topic: Sanders and Trump: Two Populist Peas in a Pod?.... By Jonah Goldberg  (Read 380 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.nationalreview.com/node/422716/print

Sanders and Trump: Two Populist Peas in a Pod?
By Jonah Goldberg — August 19, 2015

A new chapter in American politics has begun.

Millions of Americans on the right and left have lost faith in their political parties, their government, and even the economic system. Only one in four Americans are satisfied with the way things are going.

Policy experts will offer various arguments why at least some of these people are wrong to feel this way, but the discontented will not tolerate arguments that amount to “don’t believe your lying eyes — or wallets.” In politics, feelings are more important than hard numbers.

Consider immigration. I still believe that immigration is a net benefit for America, but those benefits aren’t felt uniformly throughout society. Obviously, immigration is a huge boon to the immigrants themselves, something nobody disputes. Employers, whether in the tech sector or in agriculture, also reap disproportionate rewards. But for the typical consumer, the positive effects (cheaper food, construction, software, etc.) are hard to tie to the causes (the importation of cheaper labor).

Meanwhile, the negative effects seem all too apparent, at least for many Americans. This is true not just for people who believe, accurately or not, that their wages are lower and jobs are more scarce because of immigration (legal and illegal), but also for people who dislike the cultural disruptions that come with millions of non–English-speaking migrants pouring into the country.

continued
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

bkepley

Re: Sanders and Trump: Two Populist Peas in a Pod?.... By Jonah Goldberg
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 12:51:30 pm »
I was thinking today, wouldn't it be funny if it was Sanders who went third party and ended the Democratic party in the way that some are hoping Trump will do the GOP?

Offline aligncare

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 01:06:37 pm »

“A nation that does not serve its own citizens is not a nation. Any immigration plan must improve jobs, wages, and security for all Americans.”  –Donald Trump, from his position plan on immigration

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 01:14:51 pm »
I was thinking today, wouldn't it be funny if it was Sanders who went third party and ended the Democratic party in the way that some are hoping Trump will do the GOP?

Would you PLEASE be kind enough to give it a rest for awhile? No one gets to actually VOTE until at least February of next year so let's see how THAT plays out. 

And besides that even a good one note band gets tiresome after awhile!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

bkepley

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 01:16:03 pm »
Would you PLEASE be kind enough to give it a rest for awhile? No one gets to actually VOTE until at least February of next year so let's see how THAT plays out. 

I don't think so Bigun.  Use the ignore button until February.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 01:32:58 pm »
Donald Trump, multibillionaire extraordinaire, and Bernie Sanders, who, if he had his way, would tax all billionaires out of existence, "two peas in a pod?"

:rolling:

I'll have some of what Jonah's having.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 01:46:09 pm »

:hands: :hands: :hands: :hands:

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!