Author Topic: A Dark Night In VietNam  (Read 1206 times)

Offline mrclose

A Dark Night In VietNam
« on: August 18, 2015, 04:47:01 am »
To all the 'Grunts' who sat in those marsh fields and rice paddies of the place we call Nam .. Remember this?

I had a small am radio that somehow survived all the rains and muddy waters of the rice paddies.

That little (silvertone) radio was able to pick up some far away stations that would broadcast information from the home front and tunes that reminded us that we weren't forgotten back home.

I was seventeen, almost eighteen, right out of high school and in some foreign land that I had never even heard of!

I was 'wounded', (shot through the left leg) when I was dropped off by a Chinook in a country that wasn't my own.

I was Scared.
I was a Ranger (six months of extra abuse training) and I wasn't supposed to be scared but I was!

Well, anyways, I sat and I wondered .. did my family know where I was, how scared I was?

After three months in the field and feeling forgotten, I turned on my silvertone (batteries only lasted a month so you had to conserve) a voice came over the radio and said .. "Paul, if you can hear this .. your brother, your family wants you to know They are thinking of you and they love and miss you .. come home to us safely".

"They want to dedicate to you and to Every soldier in the field, this song".

I instantly became a fan of Gary Puckett that night .. nine thousand miles from home!

I'M HOME MOM!!
(Yes, My name is Paul)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUwRlbTDbtg

« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 04:49:24 am by mrclose »
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline famousdayandyear

Re: A Dark Night In VietNam
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 05:18:40 am »
Wishin I could find a song for you.  All's I can do is to say with all my heart:

Thank you, thank you, thank you for all your endured for us who love and loved you so much during those dark, dark days.

And, as a helpless civilian, believe me I remember them well.

God bless, soldier and warrior.

Offline famousdayandyear

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 05:28:15 am »
mrclose:

This is for me and my memories of that time you described.  Hope you like it too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JdtxT_zO3Q

Offline mrclose

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 05:35:05 am »
Wishin I could find a song for you.  All's I can do is to say with all my heart:

Thank you, thank you, thank you for all your endured for us who love and loved you so much during those dark, dark days.

And, as a helpless civilian, believe me I remember them well.

God bless, soldier and warrior.
You are a treasure!

I only posted this because I am on meds for my cancer and I get 'giddy' when that happens.

Memories from long ago come back.
Memories when we were young.

I wish that there was some way to relive our lives.

We can't but we can live them again with our memories.

Nam wasn't a great time for me but the era was simply more innocent than our children will ever know!

I am so sorry for what we are going to leave them!
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline famousdayandyear

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 05:43:04 am »
No apologies ever for what you have given us and your children.
Honor is an inexplicably precious gift.

I wish there was no need for this additional battle for your health.  If it were me ( and I know this is a weak argument ), I would take any and all meds that made me ease any kind of pain.

I'd like to keep in touch with you, since that era took so much from me.
PM is a nice alternative.  Take care.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 07:08:11 am »
Get nights like that, my friend. The past seems closer than right now does, you know? Especially with music.

Here's mine, for what it's worth. First heard it on the radio while waiting to go on patrol in NI. Listened to it (and later played it) everywhere from as a scared shitless kid on the Shankill Road to Iraq and beyond. The tech changes. The song never does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY53JVoH2h0

Rest easy tonight, eh?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 07:24:50 am by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 07:36:15 am »
God bless and keep you my brother from another mother!  Only those of us who experienced Vietnam can really understand each other! I have had a few nights like that myself! In fact I became resigned to the fact that I wasn't gonna ever go home but somehow I did. Still don't know how.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMxOMSy8hJo
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 07:39:01 am by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 03:40:25 am »
To all the 'Grunts' who sat in those marsh fields and rice paddies of the place we call Nam .. Remember this?

I had a small am radio that somehow survived all the rains and muddy waters of the rice paddies.

That little (silvertone) radio was able to pick up some far away stations that would broadcast information from the home front and tunes that reminded us that we weren't forgotten back home.

I was seventeen, almost eighteen, right out of high school and in some foreign land that I had never even heard of!

I was 'wounded', (shot through the left leg) when I was dropped off by a Chinook in a country that wasn't my own.

I was Scared.
I was a Ranger (six months of extra abuse training) and I wasn't supposed to be scared but I was!

Well, anyways, I sat and I wondered .. did my family know where I was, how scared I was?

After three months in the field and feeling forgotten, I turned on my silvertone (batteries only lasted a month so you had to conserve) a voice came over the radio and said .. "Paul, if you can hear this .. your brother, your family wants you to know They are thinking of you and they love and miss you .. come home to us safely".

"They want to dedicate to you and to Every soldier in the field, this song".

I instantly became a fan of Gary Puckett that night .. nine thousand miles from home!

I'M HOME MOM!!
(Yes, My name is Paul)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUwRlbTDbtg

I've seen Gary Puckett in concert a few times. Every show, he does an intro to this song thanking all the vets, but then he singled out the Viet Vets, and had us stand up in the audience. He didn't have to do that, but he did.

CPT ARMOR
MACV 1971

Imjin Scout
1968-1969 
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 04:00:20 am »
You are a treasure!

I only posted this because I am on meds for my cancer and I get 'giddy' when that happens.

Memories from long ago come back.
Memories when we were young.

I wish that there was some way to relive our lives.

We can't but we can live them again with our memories.

Nam wasn't a great time for me but the era was simply more innocent than our children will ever know!

I am so sorry for what we are going to leave them!

God bless you mrclose, my thoughts and prayers are with you - for healing and for peace.

There aren't enough words for me to thank you for your service. 

:patriot:   :beer:   :kisses2:

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline famousdayandyear

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2015, 05:41:44 am »
mrclose:  Got your ears on?

Offline famousdayandyear

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2015, 05:46:18 am »
How you doin tonight?