Author Topic: The Trump Paradox [Must Read]  (Read 2984 times)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
The Trump Paradox [Must Read]
« on: August 17, 2015, 09:52:50 am »
August 17, 2015
The Trump Paradox
By Robert Gelinas

The Washington chattering class is perplexed and bedeviled by a political alien by the name of Donald Trump, who just doesn’t have the good manners to die, no matter how hard they try to kill him. No, like The Terminator, he keeps on coming, advancing through the fusillade of snide and snarky bullets, oblivious to the ad hominem walls of fire in his path, and immune to their favorite weapon: rhetorical condescension and ridicule.  Just ask George Will.

“For such is the nature of man, that howsoever they may acknowledge many others to be more witty, or more eloquent, or more learned; Yet they will hardly believe there be many so wise as themselves: For they see their own wit at hand, and other men’s at a distance.”  -- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Yet, for some inexplicable reason, the more Trump is bashed the more people love him.

Why?  He’s brash, not polished.  He’s vulgar, not erudite.  He’s a recent convert to the faith, not a lifetime conservative Republican.  He’s politically incorrect, neither nuanced nor fluent in Orwellian doublethink.  He’s even harsh at times to his adversaries, not disingenuously charming (like he who shall not be named).

Yet all those qualities seem to make him all the more endearing to many folks.

How can this be?  Because the chattering class, professional politicians, lobbyists, bureaucrats, consultants, and other various species of government parasites are only looking for a standard bearer to win the balance of power and perks for their team/tribe.  If their guy or gal wins, then all the power and wealth of the insatiable, ever-growing Leviathan known as Government shifts in their direction and inures to their benefit. So, naturally, their presidential aspirant must be cut from the right political cloth, hold the right pedigree and doctrinal views, possess the proper temperament, and be fully prepared to support, defend, and continue to grow the sacred institution of centralized government.

The People just want a competent dragon slayer to kill the damn thing.

“Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government.”  (Declaration of Independence, July 4, 1776)

These days voices of extreme frustration can routinely be heard, fed up with an overreaching, out of control government.  There are calls for an Article V constitutional Convention of the States (COS) with a mind to turn the Etch-a-Sketch of the USA upside down, shake it violently, and begin to redraw the limitations of government back in line with our Founders’ vision.  Ever more desperate voices clamor for nothing short of armed revolution, secession, and/or another civil war.  However, going back to the drawing board when we already have a wise blueprint, or slogging through bloody conflict to see who the last man standing is and then let him make the rules, might not be the only choices.

Short of Revolution there is also the option of Reformation.

In 1517, a lowly monk in Germany by the name of Martin Luther penned a list of ninety-five objections and grievances he held against his employer, the Holy Roman Catholic Church, and nailed it to the door of All Saints Church in Wittenberg.  It’s commonly referred to as “The 95 Theses,” and is credited as being the catalyst of the Protestant Reformation.  It’s no exaggeration to say this monk, and others of like mind, forever changed western civilization.

Nevertheless, the Catholic Church excommunicated those it deemed heretics.  It earnestly tried to quash the efforts of reformers.  However, the Lutherans and the Calvinists, and what became many other Protestant denominations, rose up from this movement without a massive bloody war at the time, nor the rewriting of their foundational documents.  Ergo, it can be done.

Of special note, while Luther used his 95 points of argument to criticize various abuses in the Catholic Church, he was especially perturbed by the practice known as the sale of “Indulgences.”  An Indulgence was basically your pay-to-play, payola scam.  For example, if you had a relative who had died, the church said their soul was sent to some metaphysical place called Purgatory for some indeterminate period of time before being permitted to go on to heaven.  But, for the right price paid to the church, the Pope could pull some strings with God, and voila, your loved one’s immortal soul would get to go to the head of the line, and you’d also get a nice certificate suitable for framing.  Needless to say, Martin Luther found this practice to be most repugnant.

Wow, imagine that – people paying those in authority to receive favors in return.  It is certainly a transactional concept not limited to the confines of ecumenical environs.  One might say, in the context of Washington, D.C., it’s a thriving growth industry and has been for a very long time.  It’s no wonder all the counties surrounding Washington, home to so many of our public servants, are the richest in the land.

This then raises the obvious question: How can an impolitic New York billionaire, who openly touts his ubiquitous past of greasing the palms of politicians of all stripes in order to amass a king’s fortune in business, possibly become a populist hero of the average citizen out there, and in particular many conservative Republicans?

The answer is simple.  He knows the beast.  He’s familiar with its moves, its tactics, its weaknesses and vulnerabilities, and therefore he’s one of the most qualified to kill it -- or at least to bridle and saddle it, then ride it and bring it to heel.

Indeed, for generations many well-intentioned patriots have attempted to assault the dragon’s lair on the Potomac.  Unfortunately, their Mr. Smith-caliber zeal and integrity alone weren’t the proper weapons of St. George needed to fight the sharp teeth and talons of entrenched bureaucracy, nor the fiery breath of a complicit media and entertainment industrial complex.  Who knows, perhaps Trump’s charred and gnawed bones will join the pile of carnage at the cave’s entrance like so many who have tried before him.  That remains to be seen.

Nevertheless, if someone were ultimately to prevail against the Leviathan of Government, whether that is Trump or anyone else, the true people’s champion would have to be someone of independent financial means.  That is, he or she would need to be able to fight without ever becoming beholden to the faceless financiers and donors who only give in order to receive (and control).  He must therefore be incorruptible, otherwise, we’re right back to where we are now.

He or she would also need to be proven in terms of demonstrable organizational success on the world stage, not a member of the failed professional political class, or a pontificating academic, or God forbid, a malignant narcissist community organizer with zero experience in the real world.  Although, being a narcissist isn’t necessarily a showstopper if this leader can truly get the job done.  Saving the country won’t be judged on style points, just results.  Certainly modesty isn’t one of Mr. Trump’s virtues.  But as they say, it ain’t bragging if you can do it.

The phenomenon of Trump’s unconventional appeal is probably best understood when he says, “I want to make America great again.”  The people want to believe him, but they do so with the unspoken understanding that his comment is an unfinished sentence. There is an implied subordinate clause of, “…because it’s not great right now.”  Oh, but the heart of every true American patriot sincerely wants it to be great again.

So woe to the chattering class who mistakenly believes Trump’s supporters are just a fringe “protest vote.” They are indeed protesting, but they do so as the New Protestants, coming forth from both major parties along with independents, sorely aggrieved at a dysfunctional government guilty of far more than 95 transgressions.  They arise together in fury because our once great government has clearly become destructive of operating by the consent of the governed, and it is therefore the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government.

The people are in search of a proven leader, a fighter, and a winner who can make that abolition and alteration of government happen.  Therefore, whoever that leader is, he or she could very well, not just win a national election, but with the heartfelt consent of the governed usher in an American Reformation.

Read more: http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2015/08/the_trump_paradox.html

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EdinVA

Re: The Trump Paradox [Must Read]
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 11:02:18 am »
"Saving the country won’t be judged on style points, just results.  Certainly modesty isn’t one of Mr. Trump’s virtues.  But as they say, it ain’t bragging if you can do it."     :amen:

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 12:52:56 pm »
Trump is the perfect candidate America needs right now. 

He's Obi-Wan Kenobi.  http://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=obi+wan

How I would love to have been seated at that table when he got together with "his people" to set strategy.

I don't think this brashness, the bragging is simply Trump being Trump.  He's awakening 'sleeping' and dazed voters across this nation.

That said, have been sorely disappointed before in my 'chosen' candidates.  Fred Thompson.  Rick Perry.  Mitt Romney.

Mitt Romney....geez...still have an unopened bottle of champagne somewhere in my refrigerator that I was to drink one Tuesday night in early November, 2008.  Predicted landslide.

And here I am again.   All in for The Donald!    :shrug:

« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 12:53:24 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 12:57:56 pm »

How I would love to have been seated at that table when he got together with "his people" to set strategy.

I don't think this brashness, the bragging is simply Trump being Trump.  He's awakening 'sleeping' and dazed voters across this nation.

That said, have been sorely disappointed before in my 'chosen' candidates.  Fred Thompson.  Rick Perry.  Mitt Romney.

Mitt Romney....geez...still have an unopened bottle of champagne somewhere in my refrigerator that I was to drink one Tuesday night in early November, 2008.  Predicted landslide.

Perfect?  I would have a little less grey more hair if he would control that tongue just a tad... :)
He is absolutely waking people up from their 50 year sleep though.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 01:02:02 pm »

The article is EXCELLENT and describes perfectly what has to happen in this country over time if it is to be saved!  Not yet ready to jump on the Trump bandwagon.  Not sure he's the right guy to lead the movement.  Maybe he  is and maybe he's not. I'm watching listening, and learning.  Not a single actual vote will be cast in this primary until next February and, in my state, March.  I will have decided by then.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline aligncare

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 01:18:37 pm »
The article is EXCELLENT and describes perfectly what has to happen in this country over time if it is to be saved!  Not yet ready to jump on the Trump bandwagon.  Not sure he's the right guy to lead the movement.  Maybe he  is and maybe he's not. I'm watching listening, and learning.  Not a single actual vote will be cast in this primary until next February and, in my state, March.  I will have decided by then.

My attitude is a cross between yours and DC's. I'm not committing to any one candidate yet. For my comfort level it's still to early to do that. But I am committed to a blend of several candidates. Can I do that? No? Okay, then.

(I absolutely loved Carly Fiorina's take down of the Leftist darling, Katie Couric, on the actual threat climate change poses to everyday Americans, not the left's hyperventilated version of the threat.) Carly is still an option in my book.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 02:00:29 pm »
I'm not on any candidate's bandwagon yet either.  BUT, I am warming to Trump if he will stay in the race and keep on pounding the Republican establishment.  He is a symbol of extreme dissatisfaction with the status quo and I am extremely dissatisfied!  The more I hear smarmy elites insult his supporters as stupid - the more it warms me to him. 

I am sick to death of people with the attitude that we must support the GOP no matter what they say, do, or don't do.  I'm way past that point.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 11:58:23 pm »
This then raises the obvious question: How can an impolitic New York billionaire, who openly touts his ubiquitous past of greasing the palms of politicians of all stripes in order to amass a king’s fortune in business, possibly become a populist hero of the average citizen out there, and in particular many conservative Republicans?

The answer is simple.  He knows the beast.  He’s familiar with its moves, its tactics, its weaknesses and vulnerabilities, and therefore he’s one of the most qualified to kill it -- or at least to bridle and saddle it, then ride it and bring it to heel.

Interesting.  Very interesting.   :pondering:

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 12:39:37 am »
Count me among the skeptical as well.  I am not a Trump hater, but not yet ready to jump on board the bandwagon of a man whose track record is spotty at best.  To me Trump is Christine O'Donnell with money.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 12:52:14 am »
Count me among the skeptical as well.  I am not a Trump hater, but not yet ready to jump on board the bandwagon of a man whose track record is spotty at best.  To me Trump is Christine O'Donnell with money.

Nope....cause if that were true, she would have come back and attacked the press and Bill Maher for being complete a$$holes and losers for using what was supposed to be a fun segment on his puerile, frat boy excuse for a show. 

Instead, she slithered into a corner where she wet her pants.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 12:52:47 am by DCPatriot »

Offline famousdayandyear

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2015, 01:02:41 am »

Thank you for your post.  Happy to know, finally, that you don't get it.
This grassroots political thing, I mean.  Don't know you, but my first guess is faculty.  No offense intended.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2015, 01:36:15 am »
"When The Ship Comes In"

Oh the time will come up
When the winds will stop
And the breeze will cease to be breathin'
Like the stillness in the wind
'Fore the hurricane begins
The hours when the ship comes in.

And the seas will split
And the ship will hit
And the sands on the shoreline will be shaking
Then the tide will sound
And the wind will pound
And the morning will be breaking.

Oh the fishes will laugh
As they swim out of the path
And the seagulls they'll be smiling
And the rocks on the sand
Will proudly stand
The hour that the ship comes in.

And the words that are used
For to get the ship confused
Will not be understood as they're spoken
For the chains of the sea
Will have busted in the night
And will be buried at the bottom of the ocean.

A song will lift
As the mainsail shifts
And the boat drifts on to the shoreline
And the sun will respect
Every face on the deck

Then the sands will roll
Out a carpet of gold
For your weary toes to be a-touchin'
And the ship's wise men
Will remind you once again
That the whole wide world is watchin'.

Oh the foes will rise
With the sleep in their eyes
And they'll jerk from their beds and think they're dreamin'
But they'll pinch themselves and squeal
And know that it's for real

Then they'll raise their hands
Sayin' we'll meet all your demands
But we'll shout from the bow your days are numbered
And like Pharaoh's tribe
They'll be drownded in the tide
And like Goliath, they'll be conquered.

(Bob Dylan, 1964)

Arlo's lilting version (which I like as much as Bob's):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIYCBoEOJq8

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2015, 02:06:52 pm »

Offline aligncare

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2015, 02:57:07 pm »
Do you know what GOP candidates usually do when they go to Iowa state fair?

They book an economy class seat and then rent a subcompact car at the airport.

And when they get to the fair, dressed in their plaid shirts and hunting caps that they've never worn before, they make sure every reporter knows that they flew economy, rented a small car, and drove themselves in.

All political Kabuki.

What does Trump do? He lands at the fairgrounds in a black helicopter with "Trump" across it. Yeah, I'm a billionaire. So what?

No political Kabuki.

And the folks loved it.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 09:09:32 pm by aligncare »

Offline olde north church

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2015, 06:57:25 pm »

And when they get to the fair, dressed in their plaid shirts and hunting caps that they've never worn before, they make sure every reporter knows that they flew economy, rented a small car, and drove themselves in.

All political Kabuki.

What does Trump do? He flies to the fairgrounds in his own black helicopter with "Trump" across it. Yeah, I'm a billionaire. So what?

No political Kabuki.

And the folks loved it.

Yup.  People don't mind wealth when you don't run from it. 
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline Relic

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2015, 07:20:53 pm »

All political Kabuki.

What does Trump do? He flies to the fairgrounds in his own black helicopter with "Trump" across it. Yeah, I'm a billionaire. So what?

No political Kabuki.

And the folks loved it.

I have pretty much given up on the cable news channels. But I tuned in to Morning Joe because I was curious to see if Mika was suicidal yet over the Hillary email scandal. They were talking about Trump, and showing a side by side of Trump's rally vs. Jeb Bush's. They noted that Trump is having fun with it, and that Jeb Bush is virtually joyless, and people notice that. They also noted that Trump is beginning to gather substance as he continues with momentum.

I'm not a Trump supporter. I don't trust him. But this is what I see. When a typical candidate speaks, it's as if he's walking on egg shells. Trying to pick the exact words that will make the audience happy, without offending anyone in the known universe. It's generally dry, absent of any true meaning, and downright boring.

Trump is saying things bluntly, and without hesitation. If you're offended, sorry, but he's telling you what he thinks. It's spontaneous, and most of what the man says makes sense.

The political class is totally incapable of dealing with Trump. It's a joy to watch.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2015, 07:56:15 pm »
I have pretty much given up on the cable news channels. But I tuned in to Morning Joe because I was curious to see if Mika was suicidal yet over the Hillary email scandal. They were talking about Trump, and showing a side by side of Trump's rally vs. Jeb Bush's. They noted that Trump is having fun with it, and that Jeb Bush is virtually joyless, and people notice that. They also noted that Trump is beginning to gather substance as he continues with momentum.

I'm not a Trump supporter. I don't trust him. But this is what I see. When a typical candidate speaks, it's as if he's walking on egg shells. Trying to pick the exact words that will make the audience happy, without offending anyone in the known universe. It's generally dry, absent of any true meaning, and downright boring.

Trump is saying things bluntly, and without hesitation. If you're offended, sorry, but he's telling you what he thinks. It's spontaneous, and most of what the man says makes sense.

The political class is totally incapable of dealing with Trump. It's a joy to watch.

Rush always said that the real culprits...when it came to who was responsible for losing national elections...were the Republican Consultants.

Always telling them not to be mean-spirited and always take the high road.  No matter what.   Even when your opponent claims your wife used to be a hooker.  "Deep breaths...DEEP breaths", they tell you.

All with the focus on not upsetting the 20% INDY vote.  "That portion of the electorate doesn't like attack campaigns", they tell us.

Thought they're telling us that it's the moderate Republicans who are lining up behind Trump?   That's it's only moderates.

So much for that argument.   :whistle:

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2015, 02:50:05 am »
Relic wrote above:
[[ I'm not a Trump supporter. I don't trust him. But this is what I see.
Trump is saying things bluntly, and without hesitation. If you're offended, sorry, but he's telling you what he thinks. It's spontaneous, and most of what the man says makes sense. ]]

Who would you rather trust -- the man who makes sense, or the men who speak campaign pablum ....?

Could the eyes with which you see be lyin' to you?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 02:50:26 am by Fishrrman »

Offline Paladin

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2015, 02:57:21 am »
"But I tuned in to Morning Joe because I was curious to see if Mika was suicidal yet over the Hillary email scandal."

Now that is funny.

Was she?
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

bkepley

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2015, 03:14:42 am »
Relic wrote above:
[[ I'm not a Trump supporter. I don't trust him. But this is what I see.
Trump is saying things bluntly, and without hesitation. If you're offended, sorry, but he's telling you what he thinks. It's spontaneous, and most of what the man says makes sense. ]]

Who would you rather trust -- the man who makes sense, or the men who speak campaign pablum ....?

Could the eyes with which you see be lyin' to you?

Such a man...such a hero...please keep me informed of his activities.....

Offline aligncare

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2015, 03:39:14 am »
Such a man...such a hero...please keep me informed of his activities.....

Events will emerge whether we approve of them or not.

Frankly, I think it's too early to pick a horse. But for political junkies it's fun handicapping the race anyway.

Just some friendly advice, mockery and sarcasm can get old. You gotta come back with something solid if you wish to change some of the smart minds we got around here.

Offline Paladin

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2015, 03:43:54 am »
"Just some friendly advice, mockery and sarcasm can get old. You gotta come back with something solid if you wish to change some of the smart minds we got around here."

Aligncare, he can always fall back on insults and personal attacks. That will certainly win him friends.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline Relic

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2015, 02:15:02 pm »
"But I tuned in to Morning Joe because I was curious to see if Mika was suicidal yet over the Hillary email scandal."

Now that is funny.

Was she?

Distraught, and upset, but not suicidal, yet. It's coming.