Author Topic: Egypt's Sisi approves anti-terrorism law setting up special courts  (Read 451 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
CAIRO - Egyptian President Abdul Fattah Sisi on Sunday approved an anti-terrorism law that sets up special courts and provides protections to its enforcers in the face of a two-year-long insurgency that aims to topple his government.

The law also details sentences for various terrorism crimes ranging from five years to the death penalty.

It also shields those applying it, such as the military and police, from legal ramifications for the proportionate use of force "in performing their duties."

Sisi had promised a tougher legal system in July, after a car bomb attack that killed the top public prosecutor, the highest level state official to be killed in years.

Forming or leading a group deemed a "terrorist entity" by the government will be punishable by death or life in prison. Membership in such a group will carry up to 10 years in jail.

Financing "terrorist groups" will also carry a penalty of life in prison, which in Egypt is 25 years. Inciting violence, which includes "promoting ideas that call for violence" will lead to between five and seven years in jail, as will creating or using websites that spread such ideas.

Journalists will be fined for contradicting the authorities' version of any terrorist attack. The original draft of the law was amended following domestic and international outcry after it initially called for imprisonment for such an offense.

Read more: http://www.jpost.com/Middle-East/Egypts-Sisi-approves-anti-terrorism-law-setting-up-special-courts-412320
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Egypt's Sisi approves anti-terrorism law setting up special courts
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 12:37:29 am »
Sisi is a man of great courage!  We need more like him!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 12:46:19 am »
That we do.

Will he lean towards autocratic as he gets comfortable with power? I don't actually think so in his case, or no worse than the King of Jordan. Though I would hate to be the idiot who tried a coup against him - he's not terribly forgiving of stupidity.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 12:48:20 am »
That we do.

Will he lean towards autocratic as he gets comfortable with power? I don't actually think so in his case, or no worse than the King of Jordan. Though I would hate to be the idiot who tried a coup against him - he's not terribly forgiving of stupidity.

Unfortunately some measure of that is still a requirement in his neck of the woods.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien