Author Topic: Trump vows to deport all undocumented immigrants and rescind any protections put in place by Obama  (Read 17725 times)

bkepley

The problem is Godzilla, we are only being given 2 options, amnesty or deportation.
If those are my choices, the I chose deportation.

No like most other countries we deal with illegal immigration as seems fit.  Why does it have to be all or nothing?

Godzilla

The problem is Godzilla, we are only being given 2 options, amnesty or deportation.
If those are my choices, the I chose deportation.

We aren't faced with two choices. 

However, the proverb "There is none so blind as those who will not see" seems very appropriate now.

Offline EdinVA

We aren't faced with two choices. 

However, the proverb "There is none so blind as those who will not see" seems very appropriate now.

OK, then what are the options the candidates are proposing that we should have available other than deportation and amnesty?

bkepley

OK, then what are the options the candidates are proposing that we should have available other than deportation and amnesty?

Well it could be that we regard any state gvmnt which sets itself up to welcome these criminals openly as being in violation of Federal law..etc..etc.. and many other such acts as Bigun has suggested and in the meantime deport the mentally ill and criminal and etc..orwe could elect a Peter Pan who waves his magic wand and the whole problem goes away somehow.

Offline olde north church

70 years ago, our income tax on the top earners was over 90%... to pay for that war.

Today, conservatives rail against high taxes and our politicians trot out tax cuts every so often.

You can't reconcile the two positions.  If you want that sort of government 'wunderwerk', you'd best be willing to *PAY* for it.

But if you are willing to fork over a large amount of money to the government, who supposedly knows how to spend it better than you... just how is that different than a Democrat?

If my taxes were actually going to "achievements" as opposed to "flesh bags", I might toss a few more shekels Uncle Sam's way.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Godzilla

I think Bigun had a decent proposal on this thread.

It was also the same idea Romney had.

Cut the incentives.

---

However, some will stay.  But in my view, those are the immigrants we want.  The immigrants of old came to America to make a better life for themselves, not for a handout.  And those that would stay after the handouts are gone are in the same mold.

Unfortunately, that is not loud enough, brash enough, 'in your face' enough for some Republicans.  And Trump has capitalized on that.

It's gotten to the point where it looks very much like 1 in 4 Republicans just want to stand in front of Congress, drop their pants, and take a dump (on live television) on the desk of their Congressman.  All piss-n-vinegar, but no actual substance.

Did I mention I hate that sort of thing?

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Well it could be that we regard any state gvmnt which sets itself up to welcome these criminals openly as being in violation of Federal law..etc..etc.. and many other such acts as Bigun has suggested and in the meantime deport the mentally ill and criminal and etc..orwe could elect a Peter Pan who waves his magic wand and the whole problem goes away somehow.

Darn! Why didn't I think of that?  Peter Pan and a magic wand! Yeah that should work!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EdinVA

Cut the incentives.

---

However, some will stay.  But in my view, those are the immigrants we want.  The immigrants of old came to America to make a better life for themselves, not for a handout.  And those that would stay after the handouts are gone are in the same mold.

Unfortunately, that is not loud enough, brash enough, 'in your face' enough for some Republicans.  And Trump has capitalized on that.

It's gotten to the point where it looks very much like 1 in 4 Republicans just want to stand in front of Congress, drop their pants, and take a dump (on live television) on the desk of their Congressman.  All piss-n-vinegar, but no actual substance.

This is good but Romney is not running.
The other one about eliminating sanctuary cities/states is good also.

The problem I have with all of these is they are single dimensional, focused on Mexicans and my biggest concern is those from OTHER than Mexico.
So we do away with "free stuff" and eliminate sanctuaries, what do we do if they still do not leave?
Need to have a contingency plan.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads

Cut the incentives.

---

Why is it that some people leave the word "illegal" off of the front of the word "immigrants" when discussing this issue?

That makes a HUGE difference in what is being discussed.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline libertybele

Why is it that some people leave the word "illegal" off of the front of the word "immigrants" when discussing this issue?

Good question.  I find it easier just to call them "ILLEGALS" period.   :whistle:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline olde north church

I noticed the very same thing, Jin-jah!   :beer:
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline alicewonders

Godzilla

Does it?  Does it, really?

Are you really saying that breaking immigration law is the only criteria for one's objection to these immigrants being here?

If true, then should a law be passed granting them citizenship... you would have no problem with these people being in the country.  That would make the issue go away... and be a lot cheaper than deporting them.

However, I really doubt that passing an amnesty act would suddenly make everyone okay with this.

Which means that the term 'illegal immigrant' really has no bearing here.

Offline alicewonders

Are you really saying that breaking immigration law is the only criteria for one's objection to these immigrants being here?

If true, then should a law be passed granting them citizenship... you would have no problem with these people being in the country.  That would make the issue go away... and be a lot cheaper than deporting them.

However, I really doubt that passing an amnesty act would suddenly make everyone okay with this.

???

Granting amnesty to a person that has broken the law is not right, and is a slap in the face of people that waited in line and came here legally. 

Your argument makes no sense.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Godzilla wrote above (I thought that I was the only dinosaur that could write):
[[ You can't reconcile the two positions.  If you want that sort of government 'wunderwerk', you'd best be willing to *PAY* for it. ]]

It will cost the government (and we the taxpayers who fund it) LESS to "build the wall", create a secure border, and deport the most undesirable illegals, than it would to "support" them for the rest of their lives via social services:
Healthcare. Education. Food stamps. Social Security. Medicare if they live long enough.

If you want to talk about REAL cost, total those numbers up.

An effective border barrier would cost chump change by comparison.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

???

Granting amnesty to a person that has broken the law is not right, and is a slap in the face of people that waited in line and came here legally. 

Your argument makes no sense.

Makes a lot of sense to me.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

I used to be where you are now.

My feelings were that if a person could run the gauntlet and make it here, become gainfully employed, pay his own rent, buy his own food, etc., it shouldn't make a difference that just because they jumped the line made them subject to deportation.

I still feel that way.

But, times aren't the same as they were back in 2001 -2006.  We've had a decade of mass invasion by people who can't feed themselves, and who have overloaded the system.  No job prospects.

In the meantime, we've got an entire generation of college graduates with meaningless degrees, living at home with their parents.  If they're lucky.

I differentiate among the illegals this way:  If you have a job and are not on government welfare, you are welcome.  Give them green cards and a path to citizenship.

For anybody else...sayo-effin'nara!  That goes for dependent minor children, too.  Get back on that boxcar and haul your a$$ back to wherever you came from.

Now....where were we?   
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 02:13:54 am by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline alicewonders

I used to be where you are now.

My feelings were that if a person could run the gauntlet and make it here, become gainfully employed, pay his own rent, buy his own food, etc., it shouldn't make a difference that just because they jumped the line made them subject to deportation.

I still feel that way.

But, times aren't the same as they were back in 2001 -2006.  We've had a decade of mass invasion by people who can't feed themselves, and who have overloaded the system.  No job prospects.

In the meantime, we've got an entire generation of college graduates with meaningless degrees, living at home with their parents.  If they're lucky.

I differentiate among the illegals this way:  If you have a job and are not on government welfare, you are welcome.  Give them green cards and a path to citizenship.

For anybody else...sayo-effin'nara!  That goes for dependent minor children, too.  Get back on that boxcar and haul your a$$ back to wherever you came from.

Now....where were we?

I think it sets a bad example DC.  You come here illegally - go back and apply for a Visa.  Do it the right way.  Are laws OK for some people to break and not others? 

The system needs to be examined to make it easier for people to come here legally, after background checks, etc.  Everyone should be documented - for God's sake - I sure have to be!

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
I think it sets a bad example DC.  You come here illegally - go back and apply for a Visa.  Do it the right way.  Are laws OK for some people to break and not others? 

The system needs to be examined to make it easier for people to come here legally, after background checks, etc.  Everyone should be documented - for God's sake - I sure have to be!

Absolutely right Alice.   :beer:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Godzilla

The point is that if your only argument against immigrants is their legal status... their legal status can simply be changed through the passage of an amnesty bill.

With that, they would become legal immigrants.

And your own statement shows that this would not be acceptable.  So the issue isn't simply just a matter of law.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Why am I not surprised?
Because it is consistent with what I've been writing for years.  The ability to remember what I wrote on a subject 6 months ago is why I can't run for President.

Offline alicewonders

The point is that if your only argument against immigrants is their legal status... their legal status can simply be changed through the passage of an amnesty bill.

With that, they would become legal immigrants.

And your own statement shows that this would not be acceptable.  So the issue isn't simply just a matter of law.

Not sure I follow your logic.  Amnesty is not an acceptable solution for me - it is rewarding bad behavior - the behavior being that of entering the US illegally.  I know people that have come here legally and it took them a lot of time and expense to do it.  I respect them for that.  I understand coming here to make a better life for you and your family - I understand that and would maybe try to do the same if I were in their shoes.

I don't completely blame them because our politicians have practically invited them to do so, with the lure of amnesty.  But two wrongs don't make a right. 

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Godzilla

Not sure I follow your logic.  Amnesty is not an acceptable solution for me - it is rewarding bad behavior - the behavior being that of entering the US illegally.  I know people that have come here legally and it took them a lot of time and expense to do it.  I respect them for that.  I understand coming here to make a better life for you and your family - I understand that and would maybe try to do the same if I were in their shoes.

I don't completely blame them because our politicians have practically invited them to do so, with the lure of amnesty.  But two wrongs don't make a right.

This is as simple as I can make it:

You: They are breaking the law!  That's why it's bad.
Me: What happens if the law is changed?
You: It's still bad.
Me: Then it's not about the law, is it?

What I suspect is that for many, it's a case of morality.  Someone did something wrong and that should not be rewarded.

It's just that we need to remember that laws, in and of themselves, have no morals... and can be changed.  And if we campaign on the basis of 'law'... the Democratic response will be to just 'change the law'.

Which knocks the wind out of our sails.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 03:55:52 am by Godzilla »