General Category > History

U.S. Planned to Drop 12 Atomic Bombs on Japan

<< < (2/2)

GourmetDan:

Actually... the Japanese were trying to surrender... we simply insisted on unreasonable terms until the bombs were ready.

Psyop designed to terrify the world with our new weapon it was...

Was Hiroshima Necessary?

When he was informed in mid-July 1945 by Secretary of War Henry L. Stimson of the decision to use the atomic bomb, General Dwight Eisenhower was deeply troubled. He disclosed his strong reservations about using the new weapon in his 1963 memoir, The White House Years: Mandate for Change, 1953-1956 (pp. 312-313):

During his [Stimson's] recitation of the relevant facts, I had been conscious of a feeling of depression and so I voiced to him my grave misgivings, first on the basis of my belief that Japan was already defeated and that dropping the bomb was completely unnecessary, and secondly because I thought that our country should avoid shocking world opinion by the use of a weapon whose employment was, I thought, no longer mandatory as a measure to save American lives. It was my belief that Japan was, at that very moment, seeking some way to surrender with a minimum loss of "face."

"The Japanese were ready to surrender and it wasn't necessary to hit them with that awful thing ... I hated to see our country be the first to use such a weapon," Eisenhower said in 1963.

ABX:
I recall recently reading how the plan was put before Truman to drop them as fast as they could produce them, one every month or so.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version