Author Topic: Kerry: If we reject Iran deal, world will lose faith in US leadership  (Read 4307 times)

rangerrebew

Kerry: If we reject Iran deal, world will lose faith in US leadership

Even before talks, Tehran dropped pursuit of nuclear weapons, secretary of state says; claims dollar could sink if pact struck down

By Rebecca Shimoni Stoil August 11, 2015, 11:46 pm 17

WASHINGTON — If Congress were to reject the world powers’ nuclear deal with Iran, US leadership and the stability of the US dollar would be threatened, Secretary of State John Kerry warned Tuesday. Speaking to an audience in New York City at an open discussion on the merits of the agreement, Kerry also emphasized that Tehran had shown restraint in its pursuit of an atomic weapon even before talks began toward the deal, which puts curbs on Iran’s nuclear program in exchange for sanctions relief.

Get The Times of Israel's Daily Edition by email
 and never miss our top stories   Free Sign up!

Kerry lashed out at critics of the deal, reached between Iran and the P5+1 nations — the US, Britain, France, Russia, China and Germany — last month, who say that the United States should reject the agreement, reapply sanctions, and return to the bargaining table to hammer out a more stringent deal. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has been the most strident critic of the deal outside the US. 

The secretary of state asked audience members to consider a situation in which the US reimposed sanctions, and then “is going to start sanctioning our allies and their businesses after we walk away from the deal? Are you kidding me?” He warned, “That is a recipe very quickly for the American dollar to cease to be the reserve currency of the world – that is already bubbling out there.”

Later in his talk, Kerry indicated that the Department of the Treasury has been preparing a report that would delineate the potential damage to the US economy should Congress reject the deal. “The notion that we can just sort of diss the deal and unilaterally walk away, as Congress wants to do, will have a profound negative impact on people’s sense of American leadership and reliability,” he cautioned.

Congress is halfway through a 60-day review period of the agreement that is expected to end with a vote on a resolution of disapproval. The White House is trying to enlist sufficient support for the deal to sustain a presidential veto of the vote.

Kerry repeatedly emphasized that the deal was a “good” one that “gets the job done.”

He acknowledged that America’s “judgment is that clearly there was a period in which Iran was chasing a nuclear weapon,” but seemed to indicate that that pursuit had ceased before Iran came to the negotiating table in 2013, a statement that is in line with American intelligence assessments.

“There has been a fight within Iran, and it continues in some quarters, about where they should go with respect to their nuclear program,” Kerry noted. “They have not pursued a weapon, to our best judgment and to the judgment of our allies, since that period of time,” he continued, referring to the previous decade.

“The Ayatollah Khamenei has issued a fatwa that nobody should pursue a nuclear weapon,” he argued. “And we’ve essentially said to them, ‘Let’s take that fatwa and make it into an agreement.’

Nonetheless, he added, “the [Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps] still wants one, and they are opposed to the agreement, but the government has adopted an agreement in which they are forbidden forever from producing a nuclear bomb.

“When I hear a congressman or senator say we should get a better deal — that is not going to happen,” Kerry emphasized. “There is not a better deal to be gotten.” He said that in both 2003 and 2008, president George W. Bush “tried to get a better deal,” but that following both of those attempts, Iran expanded its enrichment capacity and stockpiled the resulting fissile material, which can be used to build a bomb.

Kerry reiterated his claim that, throughout that time, “they could rapidly break out if they chose too, but they didn’t.

“They are a nuclear threshold nation today,” he added. “They became that and they became that when we had a policy of no enrichment.”

Still, he argued, “when they had enough fissile material for 10 to 12 bombs, we don’t believe they went ahead and tried to make that bomb.”

Kerry also offered a limited step-back from accusations leveled by administration representatives to the effect that those who oppose the deal are seeking to drag America into war.

“Its better that we don’t go down that path but argue this on the merits, because I think the merits are strong, and the president does too,” he said in response to an audience members’ question about the increasingly aggressive rhetoric employed by both critics and proponents of the deal.

http://www.timesofisrael.com/kerry-if-we-rejects-iran-deal-world-will-lose-faith-in-us-leadership/
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 10:09:24 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: Kerry: If we reject Iran deal, world will lose faith in US leadership
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 10:12:36 pm »
In WTH world does John "I served in Viet Nam" Kerry live?   :whistle:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 10:12:51 pm »
If Congress were to reject the world powers’ nuclear deal with Iran,

Funny how all of a sudden it is "the world power's" deal.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Longiron

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 10:29:26 pm »
What leadership ? McCain, Barry, Hillary , BiteME , McConnell, Bohener, Ried?

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 10:55:04 pm »
I already have, world can just join me.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 11:07:32 pm »
In WTH world does John "I served in Viet Nam" Kerry live?   :whistle:

A fantasy world that exists only in his fevered mind!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 01:53:13 am »
Lose faith in US leadership?  Barry accomplished that a long time ago.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2015, 01:55:59 am »

Can't lose what you don't have!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2015, 12:24:17 pm »
Funny how all of a sudden it is "the world power's" deal. 

I don't know how funny this is, but it is a world powers' deal between Iran and the US, Great Britain, China, Russia, France, and Germany,  It has also been agreed to--unanimously, including Jordan--by the remaining 10 members of the UN Security Council.

This is not an agreement between the US and Iran.

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2015, 12:27:25 pm »

Barry has brought us to the end of that cliff.  Walking away from this deal will push us off it.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2015, 03:48:35 pm »
Barry has brought us to the end of that cliff.  Walking away from this deal will push us off it.

Why allow Barry to continue? Not walking away from the deal may very well push us off the globe.  Barry has roughly a year and a half left of his term.  I say walk away from the deal and let the next President renegotiate. 
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2015, 03:57:06 pm »
I don't know how funny this is, but it is a world powers' deal between Iran and the US, Great Britain, China, Russia, France, and Germany,  It has also been agreed to--unanimously, including Jordan--by the remaining 10 members of the UN Security Council.

And what were those leaders threatened with if they didn't get in Bed on the deal?

Regardless of that, this deal does nothing but further empower the Mullah regime in Iran so I'm unalterably opposed to it!

« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 03:58:49 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2015, 04:01:48 pm »

That tells you everything you need to know about the Globalist Agenda.

There are powers greater than all of these countries that are in charge and they are running the show.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2015, 04:42:32 pm »
That tells you everything you need to know about the Globalist Agenda.

There are powers greater than all of these countries that are in charge and they are running the show.

Based on their economies, and military might--yes, these are the powers greater than all others.  Is this news to you?

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2015, 04:56:45 pm »
Why allow Barry to continue? Not walking away from the deal may very well push us off the globe.  Barry has roughly a year and a half left of his term.  I say walk away from the deal and let the next President renegotiate.

Not walking away from the deal will NOT push us off the globe. 

This deal allows Iran to reenter the world--with the world watching it closely.  The potential shift in the geopolitical landscape has Netanyahu very, very, very upset.  What was that old saying .... oh, yeah:  "It's the economy, stupid".  Iran could well surpass Israel in economic and conventional military influence in the region.  This is what keeps BiBi up nights--not mushroom clouds.

Oh, and "we should just walk away from the deal and let the next President renegotiate".  Really?    Seriously, really?   Who the H#$LL is he or she going to negotiate with?  Iran, Great Britain, Germany, France and Russia will have moved on. 

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2015, 05:00:20 pm »

Regardless of that, this deal does nothing but further empower the Mullah regime in Iran so I'm unalterably opposed to it!

I understand your feelings Bigun.   And I still disagree with you. 

This deal is currently the best path toward empowering millions and millions of young, educated Iranians who do not want anyone, including the Mullahs, preventing them from ending their isolation and reentering the world.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2015, 05:31:54 pm »
I understand your feelings Bigun.   And I still disagree with you. 

This deal is currently the best path toward empowering millions and millions of young, educated Iranians who do not want anyone, including the Mullahs, preventing them from ending their isolation and reentering the world.

I'm sorry but that is just flat out WRONG!

ALL republicans and now many democrats strongly oppose this 'deal". Are we ALL wrong and you alone right?

And BTW: My position has nothing to do with feelings!

« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 05:32:58 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2015, 06:28:20 pm »
I'm sorry but that is just flat out WRONG!

ALL republicans and now many democrats strongly oppose this 'deal". Are we ALL wrong and you alone right?

And BTW: My position has nothing to do with feelings! 

Let me start from the bottom up.  When you can post something to me without the histrionics (!!!!) and SHOUTING--you'll go a long way to convincing me that your position has nothing to do with your feelings (!).  But that aside, we'll have to agree to disagree.

Moving on-- " ALL republicans oppose this agreement".  So what. As with any vote I'd follow the money and vote trails.  For others I'd also sprinkle in a little loving the spectacle of bringing Obama down by any means--except of course by passing legislation that will please its political base.    As for "many democrats" opposing this agreement.  Again, for most, I would follow the money and vote trails.  This is no longer about global negotiations.  This is now all about politics--specifically Obama/Netanyahu politics.

And lastly:  "Are we ALL wrong and you alone right".  I'm only alone if you erase Great Britain, France, Germany, Russia, China, and the UN Security Council.     Good luck with that, Bigun.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2015, 06:33:05 pm »
Let me start from the bottom up.  When you can post something to me without the histrionics (!!!!) and SHOUTING--you'll go a long way to convincing me that your position has nothing to do with your feelings (!).  But that aside, we'll have to agree to disagree.

Moving on-- " ALL republicans oppose this agreement".  So what. As with any vote I'd follow the money and vote trails.  For others I'd also sprinkle in a little loving the spectacle of bringing Obama down by any means--except of course by passing legislation that will please its political base.    As for "many democrats" opposing this agreement.  Again, for most, I would follow the money and vote trails.  This is no longer about global negotiations.  This is now all about politics--specifically Obama/Netanyahu politics.

And lastly:  "Are we ALL wrong and you alone right".  I'm only alone if you erase Great Britain, France, Germany, Russia, China, and the UN Security Council.     Good luck with that, Bigun.

We strongly disagree on this. Sorry for shouting. I'm done!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline flowers

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2015, 07:01:24 pm »
  How will it empower the millions when the rulers now have more money, military equipment to keep a better hold on the population? I just read a article but didn't post it. Iran now can buy equipment (cranes) from those world powers that is used to kill any of the population that disagrees with them.

here is that link.......

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2015/08/12/after-nuke-deal-european-companies-rush-into-iran-to-sell-tools-oppression/
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 07:06:20 pm by flowers »

Offline flowers

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2015, 07:08:47 pm »

Most of those world powers stand to make a fortune from the deal. 

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2015, 07:16:17 pm »
  How will it empower the millions when the rulers now have more money, military equipment to keep a better hold on the population? I just read a article but didn't post it. Iran now can buy equipment (cranes) from those world powers that is used to kill any of the population that disagrees with them. 

They can kill them now--and yet they haven't.

Do some research on the current demographics of Iran--about the 79 million highly educated folks who are young--60-65% are under the age of 35 and get a sense of what's driving them.  It's an eye-opener, for sure.

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2015, 07:17:05 pm »
We strongly disagree on this. Sorry for shouting. I'm done!

I am relieved.

XOXO

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2015, 08:21:17 pm »
http://pjmedia-new.pjmedia.netdna-cdn.com/michaelledeen/user-content/10/files/2012/02/memo_to_US_from_Greens_20091.pdf

If you can read that and still be for empowering the Mullahs in Iran there is no hope for you!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Paladin

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2015, 09:31:33 pm »
John Boy is certainly not known for his humor, but could it be possible that with this statement he's making a stab at stand up?
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.