Author Topic: Europeans and Chinese: women are terrible drivers who need bigger parking spaces  (Read 1607 times)

rangerrebew

August 11, 2015

Europeans and Chinese: women are terrible drivers who need bigger parking spaces

By Newsmachete

Every time a group is given special privileges, it creates the suspicion that the group is inferior.  That's the whole problem with affirmative action.  It taints entire classes of people.  But that doesn't stop liberals from promoting it all the same.

That's the situation in Germany and Switzerland and China and many other countries, where parking lots are actually required to have spaces reserved only for female drivers.  As if that weren't bad enough, the spaces are actually wider than what I guess we must call the "gender-neutral parking spaces," which gives rise to the natural suspicion that these governments think women are terrible drivers.

Many German parking lots are equipped with special spaces for women. In some regions of Germany, law forces parking lot owners to designate at least 30 percent of their space specifically for women.

Those parking lots are bigger than usual, which is supposed to make it easier for women to maneuver their cars. Some Germans like the idea, but others call it a sexist way of implying that women are worse drivers than men.

So, are parking spaces for women sexist?

Yes, but actually it's discrimination against men, German tabloid newspaperBild suggested in a recent article. "Are men really not allowed to park here?" asked the paper, which until recently featured a naked woman on its front page and is Germany's best-selling publication.

Women's-only car parks exist in quite a lot of other nations, including Austria, Switzerland, and China. In northern China, a shopping mall inaugurated parking spaces last year that were about one foot wider than normal ones, and painted in pink.

So which is more offensive: the idea that women are such bad drivers that they need wider parking spaces, or the idea that some spaces should be reserved for women because they are deserving of special treatment?

Would you be bothered by seeing a man drive in or out of a woman's space?  Don't you think men would enjoy the wider berths and should have access to them, too?

Exit question: If parking spaces can be sexualized, is there no aspect of society too mundane to be sexualized by the left?

This article was produced by NewsMachete.com, the conservative news site.

Every time a group is given special privileges, it creates the suspicion that the group is inferior.  That's the whole problem with affirmative action.  It taints entire classes of people.  But that doesn't stop liberals from promoting it all the same.

That's the situation in Germany and Switzerland and China and many other countries, where parking lots are actually required to have spaces reserved only for female drivers.  As if that weren't bad enough, the spaces are actually wider than what I guess we must call the "gender-neutral parking spaces," which gives rise to the natural suspicion that these governments think women are terrible drivers.

Many German parking lots are equipped with special spaces for women. In some regions of Germany, law forces parking lot owners to designate at least 30 percent of their space specifically for women.

Those parking lots are bigger than usual, which is supposed to make it easier for women to maneuver their cars. Some Germans like the idea, but others call it a sexist way of implying that women are worse drivers than men.

So, are parking spaces for women sexist?

Yes, but actually it's discrimination against men, German tabloid newspaperBild suggested in a recent article. "Are men really not allowed to park here?" asked the paper, which until recently featured a naked woman on its front page and is Germany's best-selling publication.

Women's-only car parks exist in quite a lot of other nations, including Austria, Switzerland, and China. In northern China, a shopping mall inaugurated parking spaces last year that were about one foot wider than normal ones, and painted in pink.

So which is more offensive: the idea that women are such bad drivers that they need wider parking spaces, or the idea that some spaces should be reserved for women because they are deserving of special treatment?

Would you be bothered by seeing a man drive in or out of a woman's space?  Don't you think men would enjoy the wider berths and should have access to them, too?

Exit question: If parking spaces can be sexualized, is there no aspect of society too mundane to be sexualized by the left?

Read more: http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2015/08/europeans_and_chinese_women_are_terrible_drivers_who_need_bigger_parking_spaces.html#ixzz3iVTmB8gk
Follow us: @AmericanThinker on Twitter | AmericanThinker on Facebook

Offline EdinVA

We have lost our minds....  8888crybaby

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Meh - another storm in a tea cup.

Wider spaces are useful when you have small kids and pushchairs to deal with, as you'll know if you've ever tried to strap a small child into their car seat in a regular parking space when the dick parked next to you is right on the damned line. Nothing to do with driving, just like handicapped spaces being bigger are nothing to do with driving ability.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline musiclady

My husband and I did an interesting, albeit non-scientific survey when we were first married, 39 years ago.

He had thought that women were worse drivers than men, but I knew otherwise, so we agreed on a survey.  We both had to be in the car.  We both had to agree that the driver did something stupid.  And we kept track of whether or not the driver was a male or a female.

When our survey got to about 20 to 4, men on the losing side, he understood that I had been right all along.

The 'women are bad drivers' myth perhaps was true in the 1950's when a lot of older women learned to drive for the first time, but it hasn't been true for decades.  We're better drivers, hands down!

Just my two cents.    :smokin:
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 02:46:32 pm by musiclady »
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Relic

My husband and I did an interesting, albeit non-scientific survey when we were first married, 39 years ago.

He had thought that women were worse drivers than men, but I knew otherwise, so we agreed on a survey.  We both had to be in the car.  We both had to agree that the driver did something stupid.  And we kept track of whether or not the driver was a male or a female.

When our survey got to about 20 to 4, men on the losing side, he understood that I had been right all along.

The 'women are bad drivers' myth perhaps was true in the 1950's when a lot of older women learned to drive for the first time, but it hasn't been true for decades.  We're better drivers, hands down!

Just my two cents.    :smokin:

Possibly. My wife is a good driver, but for some reason, when we travel to a high traffic or congested area, she prefers that I drive.

My own survey says, if you see an SUV driving erratically, chances are, it's a woman on a cell phone behind the wheel.

Offline musiclady

Possibly. My wife is a good driver, but for some reason, when we travel to a high traffic or congested area, she prefers that I drive.

My own survey says, if you see an SUV driving erratically, chances are, it's a woman on a cell phone behind the wheel.

Funny......... because I was behind two erratic drivers just yesterday, and when I passed them, I saw that they were both men.....

On cell phones!

You should try to do a survey with your wife in the car with the same rules.

I'll bet you'll find out the bad drivers are mostly men.  Try it.  :police:
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 03:48:09 pm by musiclady »

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Don't forget to keep a totals tally as well  :whistle:

i drive during the day - or at school run time - and 95% of the terrible drivers we see are women. But then again, 95% of all the drivers on the road are women. During rush hour, it flicks the other way.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
I'll readily admit that my husband is a better driver than I am.  We live on a hill that is pretty challenging to drive in snowy/icy conditions.  I'm getting better now, but there have been times I've gotten stuck and had to ditch the car and walk up.  He will go down and drive the car up with no trouble.  If we are driving in a heavily populated area where people are driving very fast - I would prefer him to be driving.

That, and he whines like a baby when I drive and he is in the passenger seat.

That said, he has a pretty spotless driving record.  Me.........not so much!

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline EdinVA

I have not really noticed a big difference between men and women drivers but I have younger drivers.
They seem to be always fiddling with their damn phones.

Offline musiclady

Don't forget to keep a totals tally as well  :whistle:

i drive during the day - or at school run time - and 95% of the terrible drivers we see are women. But then again, 95% of all the drivers on the road are women. During rush hour, it flicks the other way.

To do an adequate survey, you have to cover all time periods.

btw, my husband and I are both good drivers, but both aggressive as well, so we have the same standards as to what good driving is.

And the survey we did was before cell phones and texting, so it may have adjusted slightly, but the numbers were so overwhelming that I doubt it's done a reverse.

Women, overall, are better drivers.   ^-^

Offline musiclady

I'll readily admit that my husband is a better driver than I am.  We live on a hill that is pretty challenging to drive in snowy/icy conditions.  I'm getting better now, but there have been times I've gotten stuck and had to ditch the car and walk up.  He will go down and drive the car up with no trouble.  If we are driving in a heavily populated area where people are driving very fast - I would prefer him to be driving.

That, and he whines like a baby when I drive and he is in the passenger seat.

That said, he has a pretty spotless driving record.  Me.........not so much!

You should move north for a while, and you'll pick up those snow-driving skills.  My 6 years in Minnesota did the trick. :)

Offline alicewonders

You should move north for a while, and you'll pick up those snow-driving skills.  My 6 years in Minnesota did the trick. :)

:laugh:

I have wised up over the years - I had a lot of trouble when I was younger and driving a Trans Am - although he did ok with it.   :shrug:

I got a 4-wheel drive after that and had a lot less problems.  Down here, we don't get a lot of bad wintry conditions to get a lot of practice at it, but when we get it - it can be bad! 

Still, there are areas where I drive to and from home that terrify me under certain conditions - dips and steep hills with no shoulder on the roads (looking straight down - way, way down).  The worst is ICE and oncoming drivers!  I almost made it down to the bottom one time when the road was sheer ice (and my hands hurting I was gripping the wheel so tight) and I came around a steep blind curve and there was a flower delivery van stopped - spanning both lanes!  I had to hit my brakes and of course - slid off the road, down over the hill. 

Needless to say, I was late for work that day!

Offline musiclady

I have wised up over the years - I had a lot of trouble when I was younger and driving a Trans Am - although he did ok with it.   :shrug:

I got a 4-wheel drive after that and had a lot less problems.  Down here, we don't get a lot of bad wintry conditions to get a lot of practice at it, but when we get it - it can be bad! 

Still, there are areas where I drive to and from home that terrify me under certain conditions - dips and steep hills with no shoulder on the roads (looking straight down - way, way down).  The worst is ICE and oncoming drivers!  I almost made it down to the bottom one time when the road was sheer ice (and my hands hurting I was gripping the wheel so tight) and I came around a steep blind curve and there was a flower delivery van stopped - spanning both lanes!  I had to hit my brakes and of course - slid off the road, down over the hill. 

Needless to say, I was late for work that day!

All the driving skills in the world don't help much with ice.  In MN, there's much more snow and much less ice than here..... and even less than you have a bit south of here.  Best thing to do is just drive slowly and.......... don't hit the brakes. :)  Sometimes it just can't be avoided, though, and you end up sliding off the road.

(Hope you weren't hurt!)

Offline alicewonders

All the driving skills in the world don't help much with ice.  In MN, there's much more snow and much less ice than here..... and even less than you have a bit south of here.  Best thing to do is just drive slowly and.......... don't hit the brakes. :)  Sometimes it just can't be avoided, though, and you end up sliding off the road.

(Hope you weren't hurt!)

I wasn't hurt - twice I have gone over the hill and by the grace of God I was not hurt either time.  The delivery van driver helped me up the hill and when he got his van turned around the right direction - he gave me a ride to work!  One of the great things about living in a small town.

Both times large trees kept me from going further down the hill - the second time it totaled my car though, the frame was wrapped around the tree and the tow truck guy almost couldn't get it back up on the road.  That one happened late at night, after I had been to an opera performance no less.  Nothing like climbing up a hill dressed for the opera, heels and all!   :silly:  Then, having to walk that long way up the hill to get home.  This was before cell phones.  When I finally reached my home, I realized my keys were still in the ignition and I couldn't unlock my door!

Oh, what a night that was!

:th_10444:

Offline musiclady

I wasn't hurt - twice I have gone over the hill and by the grace of God I was not hurt either time.  The delivery van driver helped me up the hill and when he got his van turned around the right direction - he gave me a ride to work!  One of the great things about living in a small town.

Both times large trees kept me from going further down the hill - the second time it totaled my car though, the frame was wrapped around the tree and the tow truck guy almost couldn't get it back up on the road.  That one happened late at night, after I had been to an opera performance no less.  Nothing like climbing up a hill dressed for the opera, heels and all!   :silly:  Then, having to walk that long way up the hill to get home.  This was before cell phones.  When I finally reached my home, I realized my keys were still in the ignition and I couldn't unlock my door!

Oh, what a night that was!

:th_10444:

Sounds like some of the bad dreams I've had!

Weren't the heels good for traction on the ice, though?  Kinda like cleats?   :dx1:

Offline alicewonders

Sounds like some of the bad dreams I've had!

Weren't the heels good for traction on the ice, though?  Kinda like cleats?   :dx1:

Very funny musiclady!  Actually, they were pretty good for climbing up the hill, but not so good on the road.  I took them off and walked home in stockinged feet,  which were shredded by the time I got there (the stockings and my feet).  I can laugh about it now.

Offline musiclady

Very funny musiclady!  Actually, they were pretty good for climbing up the hill, but not so good on the road.  I took them off and walked home in stockinged feet,  which were shredded by the time I got there (the stockings and my feet).  I can laugh about it now.

I'll bet you weren't laughing that night!

btw, was the opera good so that it was (kinda) worth it to be out on the road??

Offline alicewonders

I'll bet you weren't laughing that night!

btw, was the opera good so that it was (kinda) worth it to be out on the road??

I don't remember what it was, but I enjoyed it.  Some of my friends and I met there - my husband would never go to an opera! 

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Funny......... because I was behind two erratic drivers just yesterday, and when I passed them, I saw that they were both men.....

On cell phones!

You should try to do a survey with your wife in the car with the same rules.

I'll bet you'll find out the bad drivers are mostly men.  Try it.  :police:

I find it more to be a generational thing here. Millenials scare the hell out of me with their constant distracted driving.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 07:50:44 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline musiclady

I find it more to be a generational thing here. Millenials scare the hell out of me with their constant distracted driving.

I think that's true now, but when we did the test based solely on agreed upon bad driving back in the 70's, the millennials weren't born yet, and it was very commonly believed and stated that women were bad drivers and men were not.  The 20 -4 ratio blew that out of the water.  ^-^

I've also noticed a frightening number of middle aged men, driving slowly in the left lane of Interstates (with 3 lanes), with their ears stuck to their cell phones, seemingly gripped in conversation.

No matter what, we've all got to be very careful because of distracted driving, that's for sure....