Author Topic: Windows 10 update  (Read 1990 times)

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Windows 10 update
« on: August 08, 2015, 03:28:51 am »
If I disappear for awhile it's because my upgrade from Windows 7 Professional to Windows 10 didn't go well.

Happening tonight at midnight. 

I'll let you know how it goes.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: Windows 10 update
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 03:43:10 am »
Every time I reopen my Firefox browser now, I get a notice/offer to update to Windows 10 for free.

It says, "Click Here" for more information.

I clicked on it, and lo and behold...it said my update had started and also offered me a status on the update in progress.

I immediately shut down my computer.  Glad it did not continue when I rebooted.

Now it's back to "Update to Windows 10 for free.   Click here for more information" all over again.

They REALLY don't want me to keep my Windows 7 Professional.   :whistle:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 03:48:53 am »
Every time I reopen my Firefox browser now, I get a notice/offer to update to Windows 10 for free.

It says, "Click Here" for more information.

I clicked on it, and lo and behold...it said my update had started and also offered me a status on the update in progress.

I immediately shut down my computer.  Glad it did not continue when I rebooted.

Now it's back to "Update to Windows 10 for free.   Click here for more information" all over again.

They REALLY don't want me to keep my Windows 7 Professional.   :whistle:

That never happened here. Just showed up as a notice on the task bar at the bottom of the screen a few months ago and I signed up. Today I was informed that the update had been downloaded and asked me to schedule the installation which I did.

I absolutely LOVE Windows 7 Pro but everything I have read and a few friends who participated in the beta testing of 10 convinced me to give it a whirl.  Hope I'm not disappointed!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 03:49:15 am by Bigun »

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 12:55:00 pm »
Well! I survived and it is working well so far!

Actually the easiest windows upgrade I have experienced EVER!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 02:58:30 pm »
Well! I survived and it is working well so far!

Actually the easiest windows upgrade I have experienced EVER!

That's because of your outspokenness (which I love) on FB.  You are in the cross hairs Bigun.

You've made the special list of people they want to check out....your posting histories, etc..   :nono:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 03:04:30 pm »
That's because of your outspokenness (which I love) on FB.  You are in the cross hairs Bigun.

You've made the special list of people they want to check out....your posting histories, etc..   :nono:

I hope that's true! I would hate to leave this world without knowing that I tried like hell to make a difference!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2015, 03:24:14 pm »
I hope that's true! I would hate to leave this world without knowing that I tried like hell to make a difference!

:beer:

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2015, 03:25:09 pm »
I installed it in my old HP desktop...all my images were distorted which I spent hours to correct to no avail...I really don't need all that W10 offers and I love W7 so I decided if it ain't broke don't fix it...W10 allows you to re-install your previous windows...which I did..so I am back to W7.

I may install it on my new laptop which has W8 that I have gotten used to.

btw I believe W10 was developed for the touch screen computer to make it look and feel like a tablet..
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2015, 03:27:04 pm »
I installed it in my old HP desktop...all my images were distorted which I spent hours to correct to no avail...I really don't need all that W10 offers and I love W7 so I decided if it ain't broke don't fix it...W10 allows you to re-install your previous windows...which I did..so I am back to W7.

btw I believe W10 was developed for the touch screen computer to make it look and feel like a tablet..

I experienced that also rebooted the machine and all was right with the world again! No other issues at all thus far.  Lots of new apps that I haven't even bothered to mess with yet including the new Windows Edge browser.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 03:29:59 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2015, 04:07:28 pm »
I experienced that also rebooted the machine and all was right with the world again! No other issues at all thus far.  Lots of new apps that I haven't even bothered to mess with yet including the new Windows Edge browser.

I rebooted...play with settings in the control panel, played with settings on my monitor..nothing...back to W7 and everything is normal again...lol

When I need a new desktop it will already have W10 on it and I won't have any of these problems..
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline aligncare

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2015, 04:21:44 pm »
I soured on Windows. Next laptop will be a Mac. I've already been using an iPad and iPhone a couple of years. So I might as well just take the plunge and go all iOS. My only real issue with Apple is that horrific iTunes. I hate it. Windows media player is by far the better player for organizing all my music.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2015, 04:26:09 pm »
I rebooted...play with settings in the control panel, played with settings on my monitor..nothing...back to W7 and everything is normal again...lol

When I need a new desktop it will already have W10 on it and I won't have any of these problems..

Probably a problem with the driver for your video card. Do you know what it is?

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2015, 04:29:17 pm »
I soured on Windows. Next laptop will be a Mac. I've already been using an iPad and iPhone a couple of years. So I might as well just take the plunge and go all iOS. My only real issue with Apple is that horrific iTunes. I hate it. Windows media player is by far the better player for organizing all my music.

I have run every OS known to man at one time or another and always wind up back with windows because it allows me to better interact with everyone else who has it.  Windows 7 Professional was ROCK stable and 10 is supposed to be even better.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2015, 04:45:05 pm »
Probably a problem with the driver for your video card. Do you know what it is?

no....but I am not installing 10 again...I have everything I need on 7...for now
Support the USO

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2015, 04:55:25 pm »
no....but I am not installing 10 again...I have everything I need on 7...for now

OK!  I loved Windows 7!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2015, 04:57:21 pm »

That is correct. Just as Apple products iPhone, iPad and their touch screen laptops use "touch" that was the idea with Win 8.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2015, 09:42:33 pm »
I tried upgrading to Win10 (from Win8.1, which was what came with my laptop when I bought it a couple months ago) but my hard drive is too small to allow it. So I'm still on Win8.1 for now.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2015, 02:57:17 am »
aligncare wrote above:
[[ I soured on Windows. Next laptop will be a Mac. ]]

Check out the retina MacBook Pros.

15" model will cost considerably more than the 13".
I'm happy with 13".

MAKE SURE you get AT LEAST 8gb of RAM (might be standard now). Anything less won't be enough for the future. 16gb is better, but pricey. You have to be willing to pay for this "up front", RAM is not upgradeable in the MacBook Pro line (except for the 2012 version non-retina model that is still available).

You probably want at least a 256gb SSD as well. Be aware that the SSD's on the retina MB Pro's are a proprietary "blade drive" type. They can be removed and replaced, but no one sells aftermarket upgrades for these and chances are none will become available.
They are VERY fast, however.

The retina MacBook Pro's are -very- sleek machines...!

Oceander

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2015, 04:24:29 pm »

Depending on how old the desktop is, there may be a hardware incompatibility that won't go away.  In particular, it depends a lot on what generation the processor is.