Author Topic: Angry customers ditch Target stores after they remove gender-based signage  (Read 1492 times)

rangerrebew

Angry customers ditch Target stores after they remove gender-based signage

August 8, 2015 | Michael Dorstewitz | 30 Comments

Target is bringing Americans one step closer to a gender-neutral society.

The department store chain announced what it called “something exciting” Friday. After some customers complained about certain toys’ being designated as appropriate for girls, it is doing away with signs denoting gender classifications.

“Over the past year, guests have raised important questions about a handful of signs in our stores that offer product suggestions based on gender,” according to Target’s online publication, “A Bullseye View.”

Toys no longer will be labeled according to sex and displayed on either pink or blue shelving. Gender-neutral signage also will appear in the children’s bedding section. The only place gender labels will remain is in the children’s clothing department.

The gender-labeling brouhaha began last June when Target customer and Ohio mother Abi Bechtel snapped a photo of Target signage indicating “Building Sets” and “Girls’ Building Sets” and tweeted it to the chain along with a stern message.

Read more: http://www.bizpacreview.com/2015/08/08/angry-customers-ditch-target-stores-after-they-remove-gender-based-signage-234906#ixzz3iKVrhTv5

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
This is getting ridiculous!

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Oceander

That is as it should be.  Kids should be free to choose the toys that appeal to them, without being confined within the prison of adult gender neuroses.

Offline sinkspur

That is as it should be.  Kids should be free to choose the toys that appeal to them, without being confined within the prison of adult gender neuroses.

Agreed. 
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Thirded. Can't think of a single toy that is made that is gender specific.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Oceander

Thirded. Can't think of a single toy that is made that is gender specific.

Toys are certainly made to appeal more to one gender than another.  Rare is the boy to whom Barbie will appeal.  That being said, many, many toys aren't gender-obvious and putting them in aisles marked "boy" or "girl" simply stigmatizes them and enforces a false separation.  The little tomboy who wants a baseball bat and ball shouldn't feel like an unwanted invader if she ventures into the "boy" aisle to find them.  And, quite frankly, that rare boy who does like Barbie shouldn't be made to feel that way either.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Agree about the toys.  When I was a little girl, every year I would ask for a chemistry set for Christmas - I would get a nurse's kit instead.  My brother would get the chemistry set. 

It is hard to believe that in this day and age, a store would label toys as to gender - I don't know why Target is so behind the curve on this.

What I find so ridiculous is that we live in an age where every little special interest group that gets a butt-hurt on something can complain and mountains are moved to accommodate them - that is, unless it's a Christian group. 

Target was right to remove the signs, but I don't see where they had to make a big deal about it. 

Toys no longer will be labeled according to sex and displayed on either pink or blue shelving. Gender-neutral signage also will appear in the children’s bedding section. The only place gender labels will remain is in the children’s clothing department.

See, now they've just blown it again - Hello?  Target, don't you realize that a little boy may choose to be a girl today and why should he be made to feel like a freak if he wants to buy clothes in the girl's department?  Target, you've just stepped into another bucket of crap!

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

bkepley

Agree about the toys.  When I was a little girl, every year I would ask for a chemistry set for Christmas - I would get a nurse's kit instead.  My brother would get the chemistry
set. 

It is hard to believe that in this day and age, a store would label toys as to gender - I don't know why Target is so behind the curve on this.

What I find so ridiculous is that we live in an age where every little special interest group that gets a butt-hurt on something can complain and mountains are moved to accommodate them - that is, unless it's a Christian group. 

Target was right to remove the signs, but I don't see where they had to make a big deal about it. 

See, now they've just blown it again - Hello?  Target, don't you realize that a little boy may choose to be a girl today and why should he be made to feel like a freak if he wants to buy clothes in the girl's department?  Target, you've just stepped into another bucket of crap!

Well I for one will not be impressed until they institute a 70000.00 per year minimum wage.

Offline raml

I don't remember seeing signs that designated girl or boy toys years ago like in the 50's and 60's. I know when stores like target and walmart became popular they did but I bought toys on how each of my children picked what they wanted to play with not a boy or girl designation. I received a basketball hoop and ball for Christmas when I was 12 because that is what I wanted. I received Lincoln logs and baseball gloves and bats because I asked for them I only asked for a doll twice in my Santa Clause years. I rarely played with them I loved football, basketball and baseball and was a good player and was a tom boy till becoming a teen. I became more of a girly girl then and was a cheerleader.

Offline NavyCanDo

I don't remember any signage stating where the boys toys and girls toys were. When you walked into the toy area, there was an aisle obviously having stuff for girls. Lots of pink, and dolls and stuff.   The Target Store on-line however does allow you to select boys or girls toys. So frankly, I don't understand the anger.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn