Author Topic: Army Lights Up Targets During Live-Fire Exercise  (Read 1504 times)

rangerrebew

Army Lights Up Targets During Live-Fire Exercise
« on: August 08, 2015, 01:42:06 pm »

- Washington Free Beacon - http://freebeacon.com

Army Lights Up Targets During Live-Fire Exercise
 Posted By Blake Seitz On    August 7, 2015 @ 2:43 pm   In National Security |     No Comments    

On Wednesday, the U.S. Army conducted Operation Dragon Spear, one of the largest live-fire exercises it has held in a decade.

Footage of the event made available by the National Training Center at Fort Irwin, where the exercise was held, shows M1 Abrams tanks and AH-64 Apache attack helicopters destroying trucks and other fixed targets.

The exercise, which utilized the full range of the Army’s capabilities in a series of tasks, was meant to demonstrate the awesome ability of the U.S. military and prepare soldiers for the “hybrid” wars they are likely to fight in the future.

Gen. Ray Odierno, who attended the exercise, told reporters that the exercise served a deterrent, as well as didactic, purpose.

“We’re making sure that everybody understands that we have a capability, if we have to, to force our way into an area, if it’s in our nation’s best interest,” Odierno said.

Article printed from Washington Free Beacon:  http://freebeacon.com 

URL to article:  http://freebeacon.com/national-security/army-lights-up-targets-during-live-fire-exercise/ 

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Army Lights Up Targets During Live-Fire Exercise
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 04:02:32 pm »
I'm always in two minds about publicising live fire exercises, though the benefits outweigh the risks in my book.

"Shock and Awe" is old news now, but was remarkably effective at getting various scum to scurry for their holes for a while. Letting enemies, both potential and actual, have a peek at what you can do when you do finally lose your patience with them is a significant deterrent.

Yet ....

The very first step in countering a tactic or technique is knowing it exists. Showing even a little too much is damaging.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 04:11:49 pm »
I'm always in two minds about publicising live fire exercises, though the benefits outweigh the risks in my book.

"Shock and Awe" is old news now, but was remarkably effective at getting various scum to scurry for their holes for a while. Letting enemies, both potential and actual, have a peek at what you can do when you do finally lose your patience with them is a significant deterrent.

Yet ....

The very first step in countering a tactic or technique is knowing it exists. Showing even a little too much is damaging.

Understand the dilemma EC....
But I do love to watch our troops in action.  Very impressive.
It always amazes me what these young people do keeping in mind just a few months ago trying to get them to clean their room was a real achievement. :)

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 04:14:07 pm »

Yet ....

Which is why if found Dr. Carson's comment about not telling your enemies what you will do in the debate the other night so compelling.  He gets it!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 05:07:17 pm »
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 06:41:29 pm by truth_seeker »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln