Author Topic: Some observations on the Fox Prime Time Debate: The best debate ever ....By Michael Barone  (Read 698 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/article/2569776

Some observations on the Fox Prime Time Debate: The best debate ever
By Michael Barone • 8/7/15 2:55 AM

The Fox News Prime Time debate was the best presidential debate I've ever seen. Bret Baier, Megyn Kelly and Chris Wallace asked excellent tough questions, gave the candidates appropriate time to weigh in and the candidates, mostly, responded in kind. It's a very difficult task to moderate a ten-candidate debate and it's hard to imagine that anyone could ever do a better job of it than the three Fox News anchors tonight.

Big moments included (1) Donald Trump's hands-up declaration that he isn't ruling out running as a third-party candidate. (2) The fierce argument over surveillance between Rand Paul and Chris Christie. (3) Trump's set to with Megyn Kelly over his comments to women. (4) Ben Carson's end-of-debate responses on race and what makes him unique.

But every candidate had his good moments and gave their spin doctors something to brag on in the spin room and post-debate interviews.

Donald Trump was combative, sometimes funny, capable of pivoting to talking points on occasion, but also sometimes flummoxed, as when Chris Wallace asked him for evidence that the Mexican government is purposely sending criminals across the border (Trump cited comments from Border Patrol officers he heard some weeks after first making the charge).

Marco Rubio was outstanding. He was fluent, seemed always knowledgeable, was adept at weaving different strands together, as when near the end he was asked to weave together his thoughts about God with his policies toward military veterans. He cast himself attractively as a candidate of the future and had one of the few good lines twitting Hillary Clinton — if it's a question of who knows what it's like living paycheck to paycheck or saddled with student loan debt —that we heard all night.

Jeb Bush and Scott Walker, who have been leading in many pre-July polls and coming in ahead of others but behind Trump in some July/August polls, mostly delivered workmanlike responses and had some occasional high points. Bush was defensive on some questions, but also convincingly described his strong record as a conservative governor. But on the basis of this one debate you wouldn't have picked them as the candidates running ahead of the seven others on this stage and the seven in the Happy Hour debate earlier.

Ted Cruz came out blazing, when he had the chance, and with impressive command of facts and argumentation. The debate gave him a good opportunity to showcase his hardline views and his impressive intellectual capacity. Mike Huckabee made some statements clearly aimed at the religious conservatives who produced his victory in the 2008 Iowa caucuses, but also provided a succinct and utterly convincing critique of the Obama administration's weak bargaining against Iran and strong statements on how political correctness is hampering the military.

Huckabee was hugely less convincing on entitlements, in response to Chris Christie's strong arguments for entitlement reform, a subject the other candidates mostly steered clear of. John Kasich resisted the temptation to accuse anti-Medicaid-expansion Republicans of heartlessness, while highlighting his own credentials on budget-balancing and reaching out to those who are not doing well.

How will this affect the candidates' standings with Republican caucusgoers and primary voters? I'll leave that to the polls. And just say that the three questioners did a brilliant job and all of the candidates performed pretty well. Marco Rubio's typically graceful line that there were a lot of good Republican candidates while the other party had none was at one level a nice partisan dig but on another was a pretty accurate view of the state of the race. Is there any evidence that Hillary Clinton could pivot as adroitly and (in some cases) movingly as all or almost all of these candidates did at least at some point in Cleveland?
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Lando Lincoln

I agree with this assessment.  With consistent delivery like last night, Rubio will remain standing a long time in this process. 

For political junkies, last night was epic.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I agree with this assessment.  With consistent delivery like last night, Rubio will remain standing a long time in this process. 

For political junkies, last night was epic.

I'll just say that it beat the HELL out of any televised debate I've seen in the last ten years at least!  CNN, ABC, NBC, Univision, eat your hearts out!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Lando Lincoln

I'll just say that it beat the HELL out of any televised debate I've seen in the last ten years at least!  CNN, ABC, NBC, Univision, eat your hearts out!

It also sent a shiver up the spine the Dems.  That group of R's is deep compared to...?

But, never underestimate the ability of the R's to screw it up or for the average voter to not hear the message.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline GourmetDan

Some observations on the Fox Prime Time Debate: The best debate ever

It was nothing but 'reality show' nonsense.

Moderators pitting candidates against each other and attacking certain ones themselves.

Totally scripted and designed to evoke certain responses.

Effective... apparently...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

bkepley

Moderators pitting candidates against each other and attacking certain ones themselves.

Pitting candidates against each other is exactly what a debate should be.

Offline EdinVA

I agree.  Nothing really new, just put candidates in a different environment to make fox millions in advertising.
Especially since the candidates were not asked the same questions you have no way to compare and contrast.

I would hope the candidates would make more use of youtube and record themselves discussing topics in as much detail as they wanted.
They could even choose to discuss a topic with another candidate.

bkepley

I agree.  Nothing really new, just put candidates in a different environment to make fox millions in advertising.
Especially since the candidates were not asked the same questions you have no way to compare and contrast.

I would hope the candidates would make more use of youtube and record themselves discussing topics in as much detail as they wanted.
They could even choose to discuss a topic with another candidate.

For that many onstage at once I'll go with Barone's opinion.

Offline GourmetDan

Pitting candidates against each other is exactly what a debate should be.

This is moronic.

The purpose of a debate is to present differing views on important issues, not to pit candidates against each other...

de·bate
dəˈbāt/
noun
noun: debate; plural noun: debates

1.  a formal discussion on a particular topic in a public meeting or legislative assembly, in which opposing arguments are put forward.

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

bkepley

This is moronic.

The purpose of a debate is to present differing views on important issues, not to pit candidates against each other...

de·bate
dəˈbāt/
noun
noun: debate; plural noun: debates

1.  a formal discussion on a particular topic in a public meeting or legislative assembly, in which opposing arguments are put forward.

Exactly.  Opposing arguments.  There need not even be a moderator.  Did you ever watch the old Firing Line debates?  They were wonderfull.  Who wants to watch an hour of campaign speechmaking?

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
In spite of Fox News, I still liked it. This is the best slate of candidates I've ever seen.
The Republic is lost.

Offline EdinVA

In spite of Fox News, I still liked it. This is the best slate of candidates I've ever seen.

Yes.  The only one that seemed a little lost was Graham.