Author Topic: Hackers Remotely Kill a Jeep on the Highway—With Me in It  (Read 829 times)

Online mountaineer

By Andy Greenberg      
6:00 am 
Hackers Remotely Kill a Jeep on the Highway—With Me in It
I was driving 70 mph on the edge of downtown St. Louis when the exploit began to take hold.

Though I hadn’t touched the dashboard, the vents in the Jeep Cherokee started blasting cold air at the maximum setting, chilling the sweat on my back through the in-seat climate control system. Next the radio switched to the local hip hop station and began blaring Skee-lo at full volume. I spun the control knob left and hit the power button, to no avail. Then the windshield wipers turned on, and wiper fluid blurred the glass.

As I tried to cope with all this, a picture of the two hackers performing these stunts appeared on the car’s digital display: Charlie Miller and Chris Valasek, wearing their trademark track suits. A nice touch, I thought.

The Jeep’s strange behavior wasn’t entirely unexpected. I’d come to St. Louis to be Miller and Valasek’s digital crash-test dummy, a willing subject on whom they could test the car-hacking research they’d been doing over the past year. The result of their work was a hacking technique—what the security industry calls a zero-day exploit—that can target Jeep Cherokees and give the attacker wireless control, via the Internet, to any of thousands of vehicles. Their code is an automaker’s nightmare: software that lets hackers send commands through the Jeep’s entertainment system to its dashboard functions, steering, brakes, and transmission, all from a laptop that may be across the country.

To better simulate the experience of driving a vehicle while it’s being hijacked by an invisible, virtual force, Miller and Valasek refused to tell me ahead of time what kinds of attacks they planned to launch from Miller’s laptop in his house 10 miles west. Instead, they merely assured me that they wouldn’t do anything life-threatening. Then they told me to drive the Jeep onto the highway. “Remember, Andy,” Miller had said through my iPhone’s speaker just before I pulled onto the Interstate 64 on-ramp, “no matter what happens, don’t panic.”

As the two hackers remotely toyed with the air-conditioning, radio, and windshield wipers, I mentally congratulated myself on my courage under pressure. That’s when they cut the transmission.

Immediately my accelerator stopped working. As I frantically pressed the pedal and watched the RPMs climb, the Jeep lost half its speed, then slowed to a crawl. This occurred just as I reached a long overpass, with no shoulder to offer an escape. The experiment had ceased to be fun. ...
Read the rest at Wired.com

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mountaineer

Re: Hackers Remotely Kill a Jeep on the Highway—With Me in It
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 11:47:52 am »
It's a lengthy article, but this stood out:
... Miller and Valasek represent the second act in a good-cop/bad-cop routine. Carmakers who failed to heed polite warnings in 2011 now face the possibility of a public dump of their vehicles’ security flaws. The result could be product recalls or even civil suits, says UCSD computer science professor Stefan Savage, who worked on the 2011 study. Earlier this month, in fact, Range Rover issued a recall to fix a software security flaw that could be used to unlock vehicles’ doors. “Imagine going up against a class-action lawyer after Anonymous decides it would be fun to brick all the Jeep Cherokees in California,” Savage says.

For the auto industry and its watchdogs, in other words, Miller and Valasek’s release may be the last warning before they see a full-blown zero-day attack. “The regulators and the industry can no longer count on the idea that exploit code won’t be in the wild,” Savage says. “They’ve been thinking it wasn’t an imminent danger you needed to deal with. That implicit assumption is now dead.” ...
What's to say the "hackers" wouldn't be government employees?

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 07:40:36 pm »
I can see the market prices for classic cars beginning to rise already.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 07:47:24 pm »
After Jeep hack, Chrysler recalls 1.4 million vehicles for bug fix.
Excerpt:
Welcome to the age of hackable automobiles, when two security researchers can cause a 1.4 million product recall.

On Friday, Chrysler announced that it’s issuing a formal recall for 1.4 million vehicles that may be affected by a hackable software vulnerability in Chrysler’s Uconnect dashboard computers. The vulnerability was first demonstrated to WIRED by security researchers Charlie Miller and Chris Valasek earlier this month when they wirelessly hacked a Jeep I was driving, taking over dashboard functions, steering, transmission and brakes. The recall doesn’t actually require Chrysler owners to bring their cars, trucks and SUVs to a dealer. Instead, they’ll be sent a USB drive with a software update they can install through the port on their vehicle’s dashboard.

Chrysler says it’s also taken steps to block the digital attack Miller and Valasek demonstrated with “network-level security measures”—presumably security tools that detect and block the attack on Sprint’s network, the cellular carrier that connect Chrysler’s vehicles to the Internet.

Miller, one of the two researchers who developed the Uconnect-hacking technique, said he was happy to see the company respond. “I was surprised they hadn’t before and I’m glad they did,” he told WIRED in a phone call. He particularly praised the move to work with Sprint to prevent attacks through its network.

“Blocking the Sprint network is a huge thing,” Miller adds. “The biggest problem before was that cars would never get fixed or fixed way down the road. Assuming that they did [the Sprint network fix] correctly…you don’t have to worry about that tail-end of cars that won’t get fixed.”

Valasek wrote on Twitter that he’d tested the attack again and found that Sprint’s network does now appear to be blocking the Jeep attack ...

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 01:52:06 am »
Sometimes I still long for my first car, a deep green 1971 Plymouth Scamp with a 225 cid slant 6.  Although I wouldn't feel too, too bad if I could find one with a 318 or a 340 in it.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 12:57:21 pm »
Mine was a green 1971 Plymouth Duster, and I've love to have that car again.  It was so simple - and cheap - to maintain, got good mileage, had big bench seats and a roomy trunk.  8888crybaby

Oceander

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 03:13:40 am »
Mine was a green 1971 Plymouth Duster, and I've love to have that car again.  It was so simple - and cheap - to maintain, got good mileage, had big bench seats and a roomy trunk.  8888crybaby

those were the days