Author Topic: California transgender teen freezes eggs before transitioning into man: ‘Who doesn't want children that are part of them?’  (Read 482 times)

Offline flowers

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/transgender-teen-freezes-eggs-transitioning-man-article-1.2313024

A California transgender teen who dreams of becoming a dad froze his eggs so he can one day have biological children.

Cole Carman is one of the first transgender teenagers to undergo fertility treatment and egg harvesting before transitioning genders, his doctor said.

"I have always wanted kids," the 18-year-old from San Francisco told NBC Bay Area. "I like kids, so I wanted to do it so I could have my own biological kids when I get older. Eight to 10 years from now, I want them to be related to me."

Carman's doctor Aimee Eyvazzadeh harvested 40 eggs from Carman's ovaries in May. Twenty-three of them have been frozen, so he can use them in the future.

The soon-to-be college freshman, who was adopted when he was 5 weeks old, was likely to have more success in fertility treatment if he did it before starting hormone therapy, Eyvazzadeh said, adding that she has worked with older transgender men in the past to try to harvest eggs after they have transitioned.

"If the ovaries have shut down, then it is really hard to wake them up after years of testosterone use, so you are not going to get as many eggs as you would before you transitioned," Eyvazzadeh said.

Online mountaineer

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Paladin

What is wrong with this sentence?

A California transgender teen who dreams of becoming a dad froze his eggs

I wonder if he can also be the father of his own children. Now that would be interesting.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 08:52:51 pm by Paladin »
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline EdinVA

I wonder if he can also be the father of his own children. Now that would be interesting.

Only in the land of oz called california...

Offline flowers

It is the whole article. all of it is wrong. this child is to young to know what she wants.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Yep. This is, quite simply, stupid.

Look - I am quite willing to accept that genuine cases of gender dysphoria exist. There is certainly enough neurological evidence that some biological women have "male pattern" brains and vice versa and it has to be confusing enough for the sufferer to deserve my sympathy. Understanding, not so much - I'm quite happy in my assigned gender and can't imagine not being - but who am I to make their life worse?

But this, well. It points up the hollowness of much of the hooplah surrounding trans issues. It's NOT something we can fix - not for the foreseeable future, at least - and any treatment at all is by it's nature going to be a distinct second best.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink