Author Topic: How Big a Third-Party Threat Is Trump? [36% of Republicans Will Vote 3rd Party for Trump]  (Read 2207 times)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
How Big a Third-Party Threat Is Trump?

If “The Donald” loses the Republican presidential nomination and runs as a third-party candidate, he definitely could put a crimp in GOP hopes to reclaim the White House.

A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that 29% of Likely U.S. Voters say they are at least somewhat likely to vote for Trump if he is not chosen as the GOP nominee and runs as a third party candidate. But that includes only 14% who say they are Very Likely to vote for him. Sixty-eight percent (68%) say they are unlikely to vote for the billionaire developer if he runs as a third-party presidential candidate, with 51% who say it’s Not At All Likely. (To see survey question wording, click here.)

Worrisome for Republicans, however, is the finding that over a third (36%) of Likely GOP Voters say they are likely to vote for Trump if he’s a third-party candidate, with 18% who are Very Likely to do so. One-in-three (33%) voters who are not affiliated with either major party also are likely Trump voters, including 16% who say they are Very Likely to vote for him if he runs third-party.

Even 19% of Democrats describe themselves as likely Trump voters, although that includes just nine percent (9%) who say they are Very Likely to vote that way.

Rasmussen Reports spokesman Leon Sculti is available for media comment on these poll results. Call 732-776-9777x205 or send e-mail to leon.sculti@rasmussenreports.com to schedule now.

Right now, Trump leads the pack of 16 major Republican presidential hopefuls, going into their first debate this week.

Forty-six percent (46%) of all voters say they have voted for an independent candidate not affiliated with either major political party. Among these voters, 34% say they are likely to vote for Trump if he ends up running as a third-party presidential candidate, including 18% who say they are Very Likely to do so.

(Want a free daily e-mail update? If it's in the news, it's in our polls). Rasmussen Reports updates are also available on Twitter or Facebook.

The survey of 1,000 Likely Voters was conducted on July 28-29, 2015 by Rasmussen Reports. The margin of sampling error is +/- 3 percentage points with a 95% level of confidence. Field work for all Rasmussen Reports surveys is conducted by Pulse Opinion Research, LLC. See methodology.

At this early stage of the game, name recognition is key, and the headlines Trump has been making in recent weeks have undoubtedly helped push him to the top of the heap. 

more at:  http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections/election_2016/how_big_a_third_party_threat_is_trump

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DCPatriot

Bill Clinton 'won' with merely 43% of the popular vote, thanks to Ross Perot as 3rd party candidate.

So...what if 25% of Democrats vote 3rd party?   

Would that be sufficient for Trump to be triumphant?  How would those numbers affect Swing State tallies?
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EdinVA

Bill Clinton 'won' with merely 43% of the popular vote, thanks to Ross Perot as 3rd party candidate.

So...what if 25% of Democrats vote 3rd party?   

Would that be sufficient for Trump to be triumphant?  How would those numbers affect Swing State tallies?

It really boils down to who votes for the the person they want or the party they want.
The GOP loyalists will continue to vote for the party no matter how ineffective the candidate is.

Offline DCPatriot

It really boils down to who votes for the the person they want or the party they want.
The GOP loyalists will continue to vote for the party no matter how ineffective the candidate is.

I'm a Republican first...but have reached the point where I cannot in good conscious vote for empty promises and the current status quo.

I will vote for Donald Trump as a 3rd party candidate if the nominee is too vague on his agenda, and if it smells of collusion with the Establishment as currently constructed.

Offline EdinVA

I'm a Republican first...but have reached the point where I cannot in good conscious vote for empty promises and the current status quo.

I will vote for Donald Trump as a 3rd party candidate if the nominee is too vague on his agenda, and if it smells of collusion with the Establishment as currently constructed.

I almost joined the Republican Party but their form REQUIRED that I always vote republican no matter how big an idiot they put in front of me so I stayed independent....

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!

I consider myself an American first and feel it is my duty to my country to vote for whom I think is best qualified to run it regardless of party affiliation.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline MBB1984

Trump could win the Presidency if Hillary and JEB? are the nominees.  Of course, there is much drama to be played out until the nominees are chosen and so many surprises could occur.  But, right now, Trump looks like the strongest potential third party candidate ever, including Perot and Wallace.

Offline Longiron

Do not think TRUMP will run 3rd party unless he thinks the RNC has SCREWED him somehow???? That is their call. He is running basically 3rd party now and the RINOGOP , Pundits, Media, Libs know it and WINNING and that is what scares the hell out of them. They see their ONE PARTY SYSTEM starting to go down the TUBES and the people taking back the Gov't. He does not need the donors and that HAS always been the leverage the RINOGOP held and basically controlled the process of both parties. This is the first MAJOR threat they have had since the PUBBIE party came into being via the Whig party going by the wayside. Pay attention and watch HISTORY repeat itself with the current RINOGOP. They will PO TRUMP along the way and he will run 3rd party and WIN.  :patriot:
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 04:21:39 pm by Longiron »

bkepley

Trump could win the Presidency if Hillary and JEB? are the nominees.  Of course, there is much drama to be played out until the nominees are chosen and so many surprises could occur.  But, right now, Trump looks like the strongest potential third party candidate ever, including Perot and Wallace.

I would bet that Trump would be a totally different Trump if he went third party but last he spoke of it he denied he was going third party.  Then again he's never been consistent on anything.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Keep in mind that Trump can run 3rd party, but our voting system is based on the electoral college, not by popular vote and in reality it would be difficult. Not impossible but difficult.  In essence the way things are set up, a 3rd party generally splits the party vote and the opposing party usually wins.

It is my understanding also, that a 3rd party candidate may win enough states that it may prevent either candidate from the other two parties to win an electoral majority.  If that happens, then the vote is decided by the House of Representatives.  If that were the case, I highly doubt that the House will hand "The Donald" the nomination.

Whoever was to run 3rd party, would have to win  by a landslide and accumulate enough delegates to negate the nomination of the other two parties. 

I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline EdinVA

Keep in mind that Trump can run 3rd party, but our voting system is based on the electoral college, not by popular vote and in reality it would be difficult. Not impossible but difficult.  In essence the way things are set up, a 3rd party generally splits the party vote and the opposing party usually wins.

It is my understanding also, that a 3rd party candidate may win enough states that it may prevent either candidate from the other two parties to win an electoral majority.  If that happens, then the vote is decided by the House of Representatives.  If that were the case, I highly doubt that the House will hand "The Donald" the nomination.

Whoever was to run 3rd party, would have to win  by a landslide and accumulate enough delegates to negate the nomination of the other two parties.

Maybe that is why the Rep and Dem fight so hard to keep the electoral college..
Need to get rid of it somehow.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

I've said something similar to that myself in the past..when I was angry with the GOP, but as the consequences of a rat President got closer something always changed my mind...the VP pick, media distortions, or something else brought me back on board.

You're angry at the GOP now, and it is hard to make good decisions when you are angry, but you don't strike me as an angry person in general.  You seem to me like a good natured person with a healthy sense of humor.  When the humor comes back, things will become clearer.

Offline DCPatriot

I've said something similar to that myself in the past..when I was angry with the GOP, but as the consequences of a rat President got closer something always changed my mind...the VP pick, media distortions, or something else brought me back on board.

You're angry at the GOP now, and it is hard to make good decisions when you are angry, but you don't strike me as an angry person in general.  You seem to me like a good natured person with a healthy sense of humor.  When the humor comes back, things will become clearer.

Thank you for the kind response, Once-Ler.  Sure hope you're right about this.   :laugh: