Author Topic: Ex-prison worker Joyce Mitchell's confession: Sex, a painting and a plan  (Read 455 times)

Offline flowers

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/29/us/joyce-mitchell-confession-her-own-words/index.html

(CNN)Former prison worker Joyce Mitchell pleaded guilty this week in relation to her role in the sensational June escape of two inmates in upstate New York. As part of her plea, she submitted detailed statements of her involvement with the convicted murderers David Sweat and Richard Matt.

Sexually graphic in parts, her confession describes how her relationship with one of the inmates, Matt, developed and how and why she brought tools into the Clinton Correctional Facility in Dannemora that the prisoners used to tunnel their way to freedom.

Here are 10 revelations in Mitchell's confession:

1. Mitchell, who ran the prison's tailor shop, met Sweat and Matt, who were assigned jobs there.

"Sweat was a good worker and was always very nice to me. We became close but never had a physical relationship. ..."

"Inmate Sweat was really close to inmate Matt. They were always together and shared everything. Inmate Matt and I got along well. We talked every day and he treated me with respect and was nice to me. He made me feel special."

Who are David Sweat and Richard Matt?

2. Within a month, Matt moved the relationship along by asking Mitchell to contact his daughter. Mitchell contacted the daughter more than once, and the two had casual conversations.

Mitchell said Matt asked her if she could call his daughter to see if she had received a painting he had sent her. Matt was known in the prison for his artwork.

"I know it was wrong, but I called his daughter, Jamie, and told her who I was and that I was not supposed to be doing this, but I was doing this as a favor for her father. She asked me to let him know she got the paintings and was doing fine. After that, whenever he wanted me to contact his daughter, I would text her. We mostly talked about the paintings or how Inmate Matt would complain about his back being sore."

3. In November, Mitchell asked Matt to paint a portrait of her children as an anniversary gift for her husband, Lyle Mitchell. She gave the inmate things as payment.

"After the first time I spoke with Jamie, I went on the Internet and looked at some of the Inmate Matt's pictures and they were very good," she said.