Author Topic: Walker Tells Private Group He'll Skip Florida Primary  (Read 711 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Walker Tells Private Group He'll Skip Florida Primary
« on: July 28, 2015, 09:47:16 pm »
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2015/07/28/walker_tells_private_group_hell_skip_florida_primary_127572.html

Walker Tells Private Group He'll Skip Florida Primary

By Rebecca Berg - July 28, 2015

Scott Walker has insisted he will be able to “compete anywhere in the country” as a candidate for president — but, at a private event in St. Louis on Sunday, Walker said he does not plan to compete in Florida, contradicting his own public assertions that he would not skip that primary.

During a fundraiser at the St. Louis home of Rex Sinquefield, Missouri’s most active Republican donor, Walker reasoned that it “doesn't make a ton of sense for him to pour cash into Florida” with Jeb Bush and Marco Rubio in the race, said one person who was present for Walker’s remarks. Bush is a former Florida governor, and Rubio is a senator from Florida.

Instead, Walker suggested he will focus on the Midwestern states with primaries around the same time, the source said — including Missouri, Illinois and Ohio, which are slated to hold their primaries March 15, the same day as Florida’s.

A second person who was present confirmed that Walker said it would not make sense for him to try to compete in Florida with Rubio and Bush in the race.

Walker also predicted that the Republican primary contest could extend into April, the first person said, which would make any one primary, even in a large state such as Florida, less important to Walker’s overall strategy.

This rundown of Walker’s campaign strategy, which he shared with a closed-door audience of Missouri elected officials and Republican donors, marks a departure from how he has framed his path to the Republican nomination in public, particularly in regards to Florida.

In a May interview with radio host Laura Ingraham, Walker made headlines when he suggested that he might pass over the Florida primary, one of the first winner-take-all contests, because the home-field advantage for Bush and Rubio would be too strong.

"I don't think there's a state out there we wouldn't play in, other than maybe Florida, where Jeb Bush and Marco Rubio are ... essentially tied," he said.

But Walker later attempted to walk back that remark, telling reporters during a trip to Florida in June: "If I didn't think I could compete, I wouldn't be here today.”

His comments to Ingraham, Walker added, were merely “in deference to two favorite sons here in Florida,” the New York Times reported. “And I thought that Gov. Bush and Sen. Rubio certainly would have a competitive advantage over anybody because of their presence as favorite sons in this state and having won statewide elections.”

In a statement to RealClearPolitics on Tuesday, Walker’s campaign echoed those remarks by Walker in June, insisting he intends to “play everywhere."

“The governor is going to play everywhere as evidenced by his travel to 11 states since becoming a candidate,” said AshLee Strong, a spokeswoman for Walker. "We have long said Gov. Walker has appeal with voters of all kinds across all states, but we have also acknowledged the obvious that there are two Floridians in the race."

Meanwhile, Walker has consistently stressed that his strategy to win the Republican nomination, and perhaps even the presidency, would hinge on winning Midwestern states.

"The path for a Republican to win the presidency comes through the Midwest," Walker told crowds in Iowa during his recent three-day swing through the state, part of his announcement tour following his presidential campaign launch earlier this month.

Walker already appears to be cultivating his network in Missouri. Among those in attendance at the fundraiser Sunday were Lt. Gov. Peter Kinder; former Sen. Jim Talent; Rep. Blaine Luetkemeyer; former gubernatorial candidate Dave Spence; and former Senate candidate John Brunner, who has announced a bid for governor.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Re: Walker Tells Private Group He'll Skip Florida Primary
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 09:59:57 pm »
Not a wise move to make this early. Every delegate counts at this point and you never know how things will shake up by the time we get to the primary season.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 10:03:31 pm »
Not a wise move to make this early. Every delegate counts at this point and you never know how things will shake up by the time we get to the primary season.

I was think the exact same thing...why is he making this decision now.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 01:29:12 am »
If anything, the presence of two Floridians should allow Walker to split the vote among the native sons and sneak a surprise victory if he wants it.

Now, I understand his strategy here, but this is something you don't admit in public. To say that your priorities will be elsewhere is one thing. To say you won't compete is either a smokescreen or a rather foolish gaffe. Let's hope it's the former.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 01:30:10 am by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 02:15:25 am »
Will he skip Texas, because of Perry and Cruz?

Would he skip New York, due to Trump and Pataki?

If so that would mean skipping the 2nd, 3rd and 4th most populous states.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 02:18:57 am by truth_seeker »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 02:56:43 am »
Why, Scott, WHY?   

For cripes sake, doesn't ANY Republican know how to run for national office??   :shrug:

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 05:10:16 am »
I have two words for Walker: Rudy Giuliani.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx