Author Topic: Senate Votes to Revive Export-Import Bank, Keep Obamacare (Updated)  (Read 2585 times)

Offline MACVSOG68

Re: Senate Votes to Revive Export-Import Bank, Keep Obamacare (Updated)
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2015, 01:45:41 am »
Queue up "Battle Hymn of the Republic".  Sorry..guess I'm cynical but I think it's much more complicated than that.

As Leroy Gibbs would say,  "Ya think DiNozzo"   :smokin:
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2015, 01:56:02 am »
Sen. Lamar Alexander, R-Tenn., warned against his colleagues setting the new precedent on amendments envisioned by Cruz, saying doing so would “destroy regular order in the Senate. It would create chaos in the Senate.”
Hey, Lamar:

Harry Reid already did this with judicial nominations a few years ago. It's time to fight back with the same weapons they used.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2015, 01:56:38 am »
Ex-Im bank is nothing more than crony welfarism and the party that claims to want to rein in entitlement spending should not be fostering Ex-Im.

More to the point it is corporate welfare!  and you are EXACTLY right about not fostering the Ex-Im bank!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2015, 02:06:04 am »
No. Cruz is about doing what is right for the country and adhering to the Constitution.  You are correct in he can only persuade a handful of Senators ... because we only have a handful of Senators left that are conservative and worth a damn.  The others are RINO's and DEMS.

Why is that, do you suppose, lonely hero?

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2015, 02:47:20 am »
EdinVA wrote above:
[[ Makes you wonder why it was so important to get republican control of the house and senate.... why bother voting if the dems are always going to call the shots. ]]

I sense that A LOT of Americans are wondering exactly the same thing, Ed.
And many Republicans and "right-of-center" independents among them.

Back around October of last year, I posted that the Republicans -- once elected to majorities in both Houses of Congress -- would have roughly six months to demonstrate to Americans that they would pro-actively begin to reverse the obama/democratic agenda. And that a failure to do so would all-but guarantee a sizable Republican loss in 2016.

That six-month period is now past and gone.
What do the Pubbies in Congress have to show for themselves and their campaign promises?

In the face of collective unwillingness to do much of anything to oppose obama, no matter what he does, they have succeeded in one astounding accomplishment:
They have become the first Lame Duck Republican Majority Congress in the history of the United States.

Toothless and powerless.

Recall if you will the doddering Wimpy from Popeye the Sailor:
"I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today..."

The Republican party is going to pay -- and pay heavily -- in 2016 for their cowardice today.

bkepley

« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2015, 02:53:19 am »
EdinVA wrote above:
[[ Makes you wonder why it was so important to get republican control of the house and senate.... why bother voting if the dems are always going to call the shots. ]]

I sense that A LOT of Americans are wondering exactly the same thing, Ed.
And many Republicans and "right-of-center" independents among them.

Back around October of last year, I posted that the Republicans -- once elected to majorities in both Houses of Congress -- would have roughly six months to demonstrate to Americans that they would pro-actively begin to reverse the obama/democratic agenda. And that a failure to do so would all-but guarantee a sizable Republican loss in 2016.

That six-month period is now past and gone.
What do the Pubbies in Congress have to show for themselves and their campaign promises?

In the face of collective unwillingness to do much of anything to oppose obama, no matter what he does, they have succeeded in one astounding accomplishment:
They have become the first Lame Duck Republican Majority Congress in the history of the United States.

Toothless and powerless.

Recall if you will the doddering Wimpy from Popeye the Sailor:
"I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today..."

The Republican party is going to pay -- and pay heavily -- in 2016 for their cowardice today.

That is your solution?  Republicans will pay?  And because Americans are secretly clamoring for right wing solutions?   I hope you are right but I suspect you are deluded.

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2015, 03:11:19 am »
The only sensible and rational course would be more of the same. Anything else is extreme and delusional/s

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2015, 03:32:36 am »
The minority party can always call the shots  in the Senate without 61 Senators. The minority prevails with the filibuster.

There's a dearth of understanding of the Congressional process in America today that is astounding.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2015, 03:35:01 am »
The only sensible and rational course would be more of the same. Anything else is extreme and delusional/s

Yes! Exactly! Give me more! 

BTW: there was no need for the /s tag in your post IMHO!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2015, 10:24:50 am »
Hey, Lamar:

Harry Reid already did this with judicial nominations a few years ago. It's time to fight back with the same weapons they used.

Exactly right... fight fire with fire.