Author Topic: AIR CONDITIONING Is A ‘Big, Sexist Plot,’ Washington Post Investigation Reveals  (Read 1383 times)

rangerrebew

- The Daily Caller - http://dailycaller.com -

AIR CONDITIONING Is A ‘Big, Sexist Plot,’ Washington Post Investigation Reveals

Posted By Eric Owens On 3:26 PM 07/25/2015 In | No Comments

This week, The Washington Post spent two days, three articles and over 1,500 words (some of which manages to quote itself) explaining that air conditioning is sexist because sometimes, in the summer, women think offices are too cold while men do not.

“Air conditioning is another big, sexist plot,” revealed WaPo local writer Petula Dvorak in a Thursday column.

Then, on Friday, Dvorak claimed one man wants to hold menopausal women responsible for cold offices but he is wrong, see, because the real problem is men who dress in suits.

“Every single woman I talked to in downtown Washington on a hot, humid July afternoon was thawing out,” Dvorak initially explained after her investigation into sexist air conditioning which involved speaking randomly to some people at lunch.

For example, 64-year-old Ruth Marshall’s hand “felt like a cold steak” as she sat on a park bench outside her office recuperating from a hyperborean office climate. Marshall blamed “testosterone-toting people” for the frosty office air.

However, a “guy in a navy suit eating a taco” said he felt his office temperature was reasonable.

Dvorak then did what any columnist for the Post would do, she contacted Emily’s List — a group dedicated to expanding abortion rights.

The abortion advocates at Emily’s List told Dvorak their office is too cold and they are unable to control the thermostat in their offices.

Then, on Friday, Dvorak doubled down, calling air conditioning “the Manspreading of Summer ’15.”

She wrote that she had received plenty of correspondence from readers on the subject. One male reader, for example, blamed “fat, menopausal women” for cold offices (and hospitals).

Dvorak disagreed.

“I’m not buying the idea that it’s menopausal tyrants seizing control of thermostats, especially not in corporate settings,” the WaPo journalist contended. “It think it’s pretty reasonable to assume that men control the temperature around them to keep them comfortable in the business attire they feel bound to wear.”

After bleating about how women were once expected to wear attire that was as conservative as the clothes men in office settings must still wear, Dvorak asserted that women in offices are now free from “many of society’s sartorial expectations.”

The answer is shorts, Dvorak has argued.

In both of her columns, she suggested that men should wear short sleeves and “adorable” suits featuring shorts because “we’d all love to see your knees, guys.”

In a related Washington Post story with a poll (and with several recycled paragraphs), over 70 percent of self-selected readers say their offices are too cold.

Dvorak describes herself as someone who writes about “homeless shelters, gun control, high heels, high school choirs, the politics of parenting, jails, abortion clinics, mayors, modern families, strip clubs and gas prices.”

Follow Eric on Twitter. Like Eric on Facebook. Send story tips to erico@dailycaller.com.

Article printed from The Daily Caller: http://dailycaller.com

URL to article: http://dailycaller.com/2015/07/25/air-conditioning-is-a-big-sexist-plot-washington-post-investigation-reveals/

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Now THIS is more like it.

Hard hitting journalism, speaking truth to power and ....

Damn it. I couldn't even keep a straight face while typing that. Silly season starting early this year?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline raml

For heavens sake tell the stupid women to wear suits like the men do and they would have nothing to complain about. People do better work in cooler work places that is a proven fact. You can always add more layers to your clothing to feel warmer you can't take off to many when it is to warm or you would have people complaining about seeing to much skin. Has no one any common sense anymore? I am so frustrated anymore with stupid men and women and there a lot more than I ever thought out there.

Offline NavyCanDo

Now that's funny.   The first thing I thought of is my wife, who goes to bed after I do. I will have the bedroom window open on a warm summer night, enjoying the cooler night air,  and she will come in and close it.    And If I protest, I hear "I'm cold".   And my thoughts (that I would never say out loud) is "Then put those damn flannel nightgowns on that your mom keeps buying you, and open the damn window."
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline olde north church

I can NOT stand air conditioning.  My wife is lost without it.  If this broad in the article can't handle the cold, tell her to get back in the kitchen where she belongs.  Right in front of a hot stove.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
obviously NONE of these women were menopausal.  My wife almost breaks me keeping the a/c at 72 in Vegas in the summer - because she's ALWAYS too hot.  She runs the a/c in the damned winter for chrissakes...
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline alicewonders

obviously NONE of these women were menopausal.  My wife almost breaks me keeping the a/c at 72 in Vegas in the summer - because she's ALWAYS too hot.  She runs the a/c in the damned winter for chrissakes...

Exactly!  I generate heat!  I would sleep with the windows up in the winter if my husband would let me - I like a bedroom cold enough to hang meat in.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Exactly!  I generate heat!  I would sleep with the windows up in the winter if my husband would let me - I like a bedroom cold enough to hang meat in.

Hubby calls our room the *meat locker*....I bought him an electric blanket....it was nice when he was in Iraq..I actually did sleep with the window cracked in the winter.......now that he is home I just have a fan directed at me at night...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline musiclady

For heavens sake tell the stupid women to wear suits like the men do and they would have nothing to complain about. People do better work in cooler work places that is a proven fact. You can always add more layers to your clothing to feel warmer you can't take off to many when it is to warm or you would have people complaining about seeing to much skin. Has no one any common sense anymore? I am so frustrated anymore with stupid men and women and there a lot more than I ever thought out there.

The answer in a nutshell.

There are plenty of warm clothes out there on the department store racks.

Buy some, and wear them to work.

Nearly everyone in the world has taken stupid pills.....    **nononono*
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline alicewonders

Hubby calls our room the *meat locker*....I bought him an electric blanket....it was nice when he was in Iraq..I actually did sleep with the window cracked in the winter.......now that he is home I just have a fan directed at me at night...

Me too!  I have a spare fan on hand in case "old trusty" breaks down in the wintertime when you can't find fans to buy.

Online mountaineer

I figured out long ago to take a jacket to most hospitals and to doctor appointments. Also hotel ballrooms, where I used to go for continuing education seminars.  For some reason, the AC is set on sub-zero at those places.

In answer to raml's query, "Has no one any common sense anymore?" of course the answer is no. If people had common sense there wouldn't be a lying POS Muslim sympathizer occupying the White House.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
I have never lived in a home with a/c. My office has no heat or a/c. Our climate is "ideal."

Presently 72 F. Visitors ask about a/c. Locals know the answer is "we don't need it."
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln