Author Topic: NASA estimates 1 billion ‘Earths’ in our galaxy alone  (Read 1051 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
NASA estimates 1 billion ‘Earths’ in our galaxy alone
« on: July 24, 2015, 11:55:51 pm »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2015/07/24/nasa-estimates-1-billion-earths-in-our-galaxy-alone/

There are a billion Earths in this galaxy, roughly speaking. Not a million. A billion. We’re talking 1 billion rocky planets that are approximately the size of the Earth and are orbiting familiar-looking yellow-sunshine stars in the orbital “habitable zone” where water could be liquid at the surface. That’s a billion planets where human beings, or their genetically modified descendants, as well as their dogs and cats and tomato plants and crepe myrtle trees and ladybugs and earthworms and whatnot, could plausibly live.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

bkepley

Re: NASA estimates 1 billion ‘Earths’ in our galaxy alone
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 11:58:31 pm »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2015/07/24/nasa-estimates-1-billion-earths-in-our-galaxy-alone/

There are a billion Earths in this galaxy, roughly speaking. Not a million. A billion. We’re talking 1 billion rocky planets that are approximately the size of the Earth and are orbiting familiar-looking yellow-sunshine stars in the orbital “habitable zone” where water could be liquid at the surface. That’s a billion planets where human beings, or their genetically modified descendants, as well as their dogs and cats and tomato plants and crepe myrtle trees and ladybugs and earthworms and whatnot, could plausibly live.

Hurumph..completely wrong.  Are they on drugs?

Offline Dexter

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 12:02:00 am »
Hurumph..completely wrong.  Are they on drugs?

Why do you think they are wrong?
-Socrates

bkepley

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 12:09:10 am »

Well I'm looking at Simona...our dog.  I don't believe there is a chance in hell that there are 1000 of her here on earth let alone the in the whole Milky Way..at least you'd have a hard time convincing me.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 12:26:11 am »
Because it takes a very delicate balance of distance, timing, chemical composition, planetary size and other variables to create life as we know it. Look at our own solar system for the many ways it could go wrong: too much atmosphere and you get Venus, an inhospitably hot Hell. Too thin of an atmosphere and you don't have enough pressure to support liquid water; you thus have Mars.

There could certainly be life elsewhere in this galaxy, but not as we know it.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2015, 12:52:39 am »
Well, I sure hope one of them is doing better than we are with this whole intelligent life thing.. :)

Offline Dexter

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2015, 01:04:21 am »
Because it takes a very delicate balance of distance, timing, chemical composition, planetary size and other variables to create life as we know it. Look at our own solar system for the many ways it could go wrong: too much atmosphere and you get Venus, an inhospitably hot Hell. Too thin of an atmosphere and you don't have enough pressure to support liquid water; you thus have Mars.

There could certainly be life elsewhere in this galaxy, but not as we know it.

You don't think the NASA scientists considered all of that before they made their estimation? By the way this is not suggesting that a billion planets in our galaxy have life; it is suggesting that up to a billion planets in our galaxy could potentially sustain life.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 01:06:21 am by Dexter »
-Socrates