Author Topic: Exclusive: Trump threatens third-party run  (Read 1682 times)

bkepley

Exclusive: Trump threatens third-party run
« on: July 23, 2015, 01:44:26 pm »
By Kevin Cirilli and Bob Cusack
The Hill

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/248910-exclusive-trump-threatens-third-party-run

NEW YORK — Donald Trump says the chances that he will launch a third-party White House run will “absolutely” increase if the Republican National Committee is unfair to him during the 2016 primary season.

“The RNC has not been supportive. They were always supportive when I was a contributor. I was their fair-haired boy,” the business mogul told The Hill in a 40-minute interview from his Manhattan office at Trump Tower on Wednesday. “The RNC has been, I think, very foolish.”

Pressed on whether he would run as a third-party candidate if he fails to clinch the GOP nomination, Trump said that “so many people want me to, if I don’t win.”
“I’ll have to see how I’m being treated by the Republicans,” Trump said. “Absolutely, if they’re not fair, that would be a factor.”

bkepley

Re: Exclusive: Trump threatens third-party run
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 01:45:20 pm »
He's not in it to win it, he in it to F' it up.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 02:15:27 pm »
It seems that as of yesterday, Trump has changed his answer on the question of a third party run.

http://race42016.com/2015/07/22/trump-rules-out-third-party-run-says-i-will-only-ever-run-as-a-republican/

July 22, 2015

TRUMP RULES OUT THIRD PARTY RUN, SAYS “I WILL ONLY EVER RUN AS A REPUBLICAN”

Donald Trump called into Dana Loesch’s show on The Blaze last night for an interview with the conservative talk show host which touched on topics ranging from Planned Parenthood to the VA. Trump more or less gave predictable answers to all the questions — except for one.

When Dana Loesch asked Donald Trump about the possibility of running third party, The Donald categorically ruled it out, saying:

“I will only ever run as a Republican.”

This statement is (as Trump would say) yoooge — it is the first time he has ruled out a third party run, and his response flies in the face of conventional wisdom. Many armchair politicos, myself included, assumed that everything in Trump’s disastrous candidacy to this point was a setup for him to run on a third party ticket. If Trump keeps his word now, it appears the GOP can breathe a sigh of relief. Of course, that’s a big if, considering the fact Trump has changed his position on, oh, pretty much everything in the past. For now, though, the GOP’s task is twofold: first, manage Trump’s inevitable deflation (or crash) well enough to where he doesn’t change his mind about running third party; and secondly, to mitigate the damage done by Trump in the meantime.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

bkepley

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 02:18:43 pm »
It seems that as of yesterday, Trump has changed his answer on the question of a third party run.

http://race42016.com/2015/07/22/trump-rules-out-third-party-run-says-i-will-only-ever-run-as-a-republican/

July 22, 2015

Very strange..one day is all it takes for him to change his tune?  However, if he sticks to this I might respect him a little for once but I don't think I would ever trust him.  He seems capable of saying anything.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 02:29:26 pm »
Pressed on whether he would run as a third-party candidate if he fails to clinch the GOP nomination, Trump said that “so many people want me to, if I don’t win.”
“I’ll have to see how I’m being treated by the Republicans,” Trump said. “Absolutely, if they’re not fair, that would be a factor.”

Trump is a third-party, split the conservative vote, elect Hellary... stalking horse...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline rb224315

• Custom Title goes here
  • Personal Text goes here
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 04:09:09 pm »
In my mind I've manufactured a picture of what I hope is going on with Trump.  He is drawing attention away from the GOP candidates because the media can't seem to ignore him.  With Trump's antics the media aren't able to constantly put stories like Rubio's traffic tickets on the front page.  Meanwhile, Hillary is in freefall, the top tier GOP candidates seem to be doing ok, and the gotcha game isn't getting any attention.  If I were any more cynical I'd say that this is all planned, but I doubt the GOP is that smart.  How else to explain the utter silliness of the things Trump is saying?
rb224315:  just another "Creepy-ass Cracka".

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 04:33:38 pm »
If I were any more cynical I'd say that this is all planned, but I doubt the GOP is that smart.

Maybe your only mistake is in thinking that the GOP must be the source of the plan...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline aligncare

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 05:07:20 pm »
In my mind I've manufactured a picture of what I hope is going on with Trump.  He is drawing attention away from the GOP candidates because the media can't seem to ignore him.  With Trump's antics the media aren't able to constantly put stories like Rubio's traffic tickets on the front page.  Meanwhile, Hillary is in freefall, the top tier GOP candidates seem to be doing ok, and the gotcha game isn't getting any attention.  If I were any more cynical I'd say that this is all planned, but I doubt the GOP is that smart.  How else to explain the utter silliness of the things Trump is saying?

Aside from the fact that we are nearly into the silly season, I'm not exactly sure what you mean by Trump says "silly" things? Seems to me Trump is saying things that are quite relevant to conservative/libertarian minded GOP voters.

bkepley

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2015, 05:12:47 pm »
Aside from the fact that we are nearly into the silly season, I'm not exactly sure what you mean by Trump says "silly" things? Seems to me Trump is saying things that are quite relevant to conservative/libertarian minded GOP voters.

Like "Jonah Goldberg can't afford to buy his own pants" or “He put on glasses so people think he’s smart. People can see through the glasses”?  Oh quite relevant to some "conservative minded folks" I suppose.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2015, 05:21:04 pm »
Things like "I'm rich. Very rich. I'm  smart. Very smart."

A lot of folks don't take too kindly to that sort of blowhard display.

Without assigning denominations or quoting verses, suffice it to say, humility is a valued attribute, and boastfulness is not.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline aligncare

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2015, 05:27:48 pm »
Like "Jonah Goldberg can't afford to buy his own pants" or “He put on glasses so people think he’s smart. People can see through the glasses”?  Oh quite relevant to some "conservative minded folks" I suppose.

What some of us grass roots folks like about Trump is that he says what's on his mind. His message is not filtered through a cadre of consultants and focus-tested, measured, and carefully crafted to offend no one.

He's not worried about offending because his campaign is not beholden to any group of special interest donors. In fact, Trump hasn't spent a dime on his campaign so far. He can't be bought by special interests. And that's a good place to be if you want to be in a position to shake up the Washington status quo.

Offline Longiron

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2015, 07:22:08 pm »
What some of us grass roots folks like about Trump is that he says what's on his mind. His message is not filtered through a cadre of consultants and focus-tested, measured, and carefully crafted to offend no one.

He's not worried about offending because his campaign is not beholden to any group of special interest donors. In fact, Trump hasn't spent a dime on his campaign so far. He can't be bought by special interests. And that's a good place to be if you want to be in a position to shake up the Washington status quo.

Trump is running as a 3rd party right now if one stops and thinks about it. The RINOGOP are trying to get him out and doing anythng possible for that to occur The Media, pundits, All cable news except OAN is after him. Hell the POPE is about to say something about him soon and he is about as right on things as Karl Rove, The Kraut, Bill Kristol, Bret Hume and the King of wrong perdictions Dick Morris. But strangel  enough he is WINNING and the crown Prince Bushie is getting his ass kicked by TRUMP. So a change in a name from R to something else is no big deal????
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 07:24:08 pm by Longiron »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2015, 07:29:50 pm »
Trump is running as a 3rd party right now if one stops and thinks about it. The RINOGOP are trying to get him out and doing anythng possible for that to occur The Media, pundits, All cable news except OAN is after him. Hell the POPE is about to say something about him soon and he is about as right on things as Karl Rove, The Kraut, Bill Kristol, Bret Hume and the King of wrong perdictions Dick Morris. But strangel  enough he is WINNING and the crown Prince Bushie is getting his ass kicked by TRUMP. So a change in a name from R to something else is no big deal????

That is a fascinating take on it. Trump is simply going to execute a "Hostile Takeover" of the GOP !!

He is going around "the board," and around "management." He effectively says to the shareholder, I'm going to make you rich. Stick with me, and let's stick it to management.

I honestly wonder if any of his handlers (I think he has them) had thought of putting it this way?

"I don't want to run 3rd party, because I plan to take over the Republican Party, and I'm winning so far"
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2015, 07:40:14 pm »

July 22, 2015

that's pretty much how :baghead:  has been on all issues.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2015, 07:47:38 pm »

Well, Alan Keyes said what was on his mind too.  So did Mr. 9-9-9, as well as Tom Tancredo.  Then there was Howard Dean, and who could forget "Mr. get under the hood and fix that engine", Ross Perot.  None of them appealed to most Americans just because they hit on red-meat issues and hollered a lot.  Anyway, I've loaded up on :pop41:
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline aligncare

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2015, 07:48:26 pm »
That is a fascinating take on it. Trump is simply going to execute a "Hostile Takeover" of the GOP !!

He is going around "the board," and around "management." He effectively says to the shareholder, I'm going to make you rich. Stick with me, and let's stick it to management.

I honestly wonder if any of his handlers (I think he has them) had thought of putting it this way?

"I don't want to run 3rd party, because I plan to take over the Republican Party, and I'm winning so far"

Meet the man behind Donald Trump's presidential campaign

Organization of Donald J. Trump fo President, Inc.

The Fix: You've probably got the toughest job in politics. Your candidate is a lighting rod. What's that like?

LEWANDOWSKI: I see Congress as that [the toughest job in politics]. I think I have the greatest job in politics. I have the privilege of working for a candidate who is exceptionally well known, has had unparalleled success in everything that he has attempted to accomplish, from the business deals to the television field, to being a best-selling author. Someone who is not a career politician. So I am very, very fortunate to work for someone who the American public agrees has a message which is resonating.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 08:36:35 pm by aligncare »

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2015, 11:02:41 pm »

I have thought the same thing .... the media really hasn't focused on anyone else but Trump and obviously Trump doesn't really care as he keeps climbing in the polls and the media isn't attacking any of the GOP candidates.  I'm thinking perhaps he will bow out but financially back someone like Cruz, or Walker maybe even Paul.  He's already come out swinging against Graham, Bush and Perry.

IF in the event Trump stays in, and runs 3rd party,  I certainly wouldn't under estimate him ... in as much as I am not thrilled with "The Donald" I would vote for him over Bush...and I think there are some Dems that will vote for him over Hillary.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.