Author Topic: Trump’s success annoys GOP  (Read 4722 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump’s success annoys GOP
« on: July 22, 2015, 03:11:31 pm »
http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/248757-trumps-success-annoys-gop

By Niall Stanage - 07/22/15 06:00 AM EDT

Republican insiders are reconciling themselves to the idea that Donald Trump won’t be exiting the stage anytime soon — and their main concern now is limiting his damage to their party.

The GOP establishment is almost universally hostile to Trump, who has soared in the 2016 polls on the back of his celebrity, his outspoken statements on immigration and trade deals, and media coverage of his antics.

Many party strategists believe Trump did himself serious damage with his recent remarks denigrating Sen. John McCain’s (R-Ariz.) experiences while a prisoner of war in Hanoi, Vietnam — but there is not yet conclusive polling evidence available.

Meanwhile, Trump has made clear that he has no serious intention of reining in his rhetoric — or curbing his propensity to tweak the nose of anyone who displeases him. On Tuesday, shortly after fellow White House contender Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) had referred to the businessman as a “jackass,” Trump read out Graham’s cellphone number on live television during a campaign event in the senator’s home state.

During that appearance, Trump also called Graham “a stiff” and an "idiot,” and took shots at another critic and 2016 hopeful, former Texas Gov. Rick Perry, saying he’d begun wearing glasses to make himself look smarter.

Among Washington Republicans, the hope is that voters will tire of such comments and that Trump will have to push his boat out into ever-murkier waters to continue to command attention.

“People start to get more desensitized to Trump over time,” said Ron Bonjean, a former aide to GOP leaders on Capitol Hill. “These comments, as they get more and more ridiculous, desensitize voters. They realize he’s just being ridiculous to be ridiculous.”

Bonjean also struck an unusual comparison: “He’s the Kardashian of the Republican primary.”

A spokeswoman for the Trump campaign declined to comment for this story.

Even if Trump’s poll ratings were to fall in the wake of the McCain controversy, it looks virtually certain that he will be included in the first major televised debate, hosted by Fox News on Aug. 6.

Only the top 10 candidates in national polling will be included in the debate. For now at least, Trump is close to the very top of the polls.

This is the cause of some consternation among Republicans, though some are holding out hope that Trump’s allure will fade under the debate spotlight. They suggest other contenders, fluent in the kind of policy detail that Trump abjures, will display a more presidential timbre.

“When Donald Trump is on a stage on his own, it has a circus quality to it, or a reality show,” said GOP strategist Matt Mackowiak.

“It’s different when he’s standing there beside serious, accomplished, intelligent people. If he’s asked about how to counter ISIS, and his answer is, ‘I’m going to hit them so hard,’ that’s going to look ridiculous next to [Florida Sen. Marco] Rubio or [Texas Sen. Ted] Cruz or these other candidates,” Mackowiak added.

Others who favor more establishment-friendly candidates than Trump suggest the real estate mogul’s current high polling numbers are unlikely to be sustained, even over the medium term.

“Any polls taken in the early states before Halloween are going to have very little relevance to what is going to happen,” said Tom Rath, a longtime GOP operative in New Hampshire who has advised numerous past presidential contenders, including Mitt Romney in 2012. “I don’t think he has got the structure to support a candidacy.”

Trump’s campaign has pushed back against similar criticisms, noting that the candidate has paid staff in at least the first three states to vote: Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina.

Trump himself often notes that many people did not believe he would mount a presidential run in the first place and were also skeptical that he would file all relevant paperwork with the Federal Election Commission. He has done both.

And his poll numbers, backers say, suggest that Trump has tapped into something that other candidates have missed: a deep, welling resentment about the state of the nation.

Still, some veteran independent observers note that there is a long history of candidates who surge early on, only to come unstuck relatively quickly. In the last presidential cycle, businessman Herman Cain and then-Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.) were both riding high at one point in the GOP primary, only for their campaigns to go nowhere.

“There are always celebrity candidates, or candidates who are the flavor of the month,” said David Yepsen, who covered the Iowa caucuses for decades for The Des Moines Register. “There is no way they are going to be the nominee, but they give voice to people who feel left out. Sometimes they make mistakes, other times they don’t hold up to the threshold-test that has to be passed.”

Yet others note that Trump’s fortune, which he says is in excess of $10 billion, gives him leeway that long-shot candidates of the past did not have.

“Herman Cain didn’t have $10 billion,” said another GOP strategist, Ford O’Connell. “Other candidates say things like ‘I’m dropping out because I don’t see a path to win.’ But they dropped out usually because they were out of money ... [Trump] can stay as long as he wants.”

That could be bad news for second-tier candidates, who are struggling for attention. And, some say, it could be a problem for the Republican Party itself.

“He is taking all the oxygen out of the room,” said Yepsen. “There is nobody able to punch through right now with messages about the economy, or foreign policy, or Hillary [Clinton].

“It is all Trump, all the time.”
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Trump’s success annoys GOP
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 03:53:42 pm »
I wonder how "liquid" the Don is? In other words, how much cash can he easily and quickly raise.

Maybe he could syndicate a television reality show called "The Campaign" and sell advertising, etc.

He could then show us how he multi-tasks, running existing businesses, the new show, the campaign etc. All live for viewers.

He could perform 24/7/365.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 05:58:01 pm »
Gee ...imagine ... the GOP is getting annoyed.  LMAO!  Really.  How annoying is the GOP establishment to the American people because they haven't done a damn thing?  Last time I checked they do hold the majority in both houses.  Oh, that's right they are blaming the very few TEA members in Congress and the DEMS for not being able to make any headway.  B.S.! 
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 06:20:53 pm »
What the GOP should be concerned about is not Trump per ee, but the incredible dearth of leadership that has enabled Donald Trump to surge ahead in the polls.  My fear is that once Trump has developed his army of followers he will take his candidacy to the general election as a third party alternative to Bush and Hillary. 

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 06:28:38 pm »
Gee ...imagine ... the GOP is getting annoyed.  LMAO!  Really.  How annoying is the GOP establishment to the American people because they haven't done a damn thing?  Last time I checked they do hold the majority in both houses.  Oh, that's right they are blaming the very few TEA members in Congress and the DEMS for not being able to make any headway.  B.S.!

Very well said! And absolutely true!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 06:29:20 pm »
What the GOP should be concerned about is not Trump per ee, but the incredible dearth of leadership that has enabled Donald Trump to surge ahead in the polls.  My fear is that once Trump has developed his army of followers he will take his candidacy to the general election as a third party alternative to Bush and Hillary.

Yep!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

bkepley

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 06:34:21 pm »

They have majorities and the house passes some good things but it's a futile effort and everyone knows it because they don't have a veto-proof majority.  Then there is (or was) Reid who would put a halt to everything and nobody but the right would end up happy about it and would blame both sides.  This is just the way it is in divided government.  They can't make many changes but neither can Obama except by executive order.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 06:38:17 pm »
Republicans Insist They're Tackling 'The People's Priorities,' But Illegal Immigration Is Not on the List

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/susan-jones/republicans-insist-theyre-tackling-peoples-priorities-illegal-immigration

In other words the peoples priorities are what WE say they are!  And THAT ladies and gentlemen is the PROBLEM!!!

« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 06:38:43 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 06:41:53 pm »
They have majorities and the house passes some good things but it's a futile effort and everyone knows it because they don't have a veto-proof majority.  Then there is (or was) Reid who would put a halt to everything and nobody but the right would end up happy about it and would blame both sides.  This is just the way it is in divided government.  They can't make many changes but neither can Obama except by executive order.
A big possibility will be for the GOP to give back the majority in the Senate.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 06:55:05 pm »

Reid was an obstructionist I will give you that one.  But he is now the minority leader.  I'm sorry, but this "blame game" is ridiculous.  The Dems blame the GOPe and the GOPe blames the DEMS and TEA and nothing gets done ... stating it's a divided government.  Well, hello, the government is set up with certain "checks and balances".  It becomes a three ring circus when both sides blame each other to give the illusion that they are actually doing something and allows the president to walk all over them and the Constitution.

In my opinion it would be more accurate to state that nothing is getting done because both DEMS and the GOPe are playing the same game and belong to the same country club.

Look at what Barry has done or attempted by executive order...sorry but it looks to me that most of the 534 members of Congress stood around with their hands in their pockets and watched him do it.  Look at how many times Barry has  side-stepped Congress and in essence made them ineffective.  Impeachment would have put a damper on things; but God forbid if we ruffle the feathers of the black Muslim leader in the White House. The same leader who withdrew troops early to win an election, lied to the people about 4 dead Americans, lit up the White House to look like a gay brothel and took he's sweet time to lower the flag at half-staff to honor the recent fallen military in TN. Then there was the argument well, we won't have the majority in the Senate to impeach him.  So what?  Trying would be better than doing nothing!  Keeping him busy with impeachment proceedings might have kept his hands out of the cookie jar for awhile.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 07:03:07 pm by libertybele »
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

bkepley

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 07:00:05 pm »
Impeachment would be suicide.  I don't think you are realistic.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 07:07:23 pm »
Yeah, really. Lots of words, little judgment.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2015, 07:08:08 pm »
Republicans Insist They're Tackling 'The People's Priorities,' But Illegal Immigration Is Not on the List

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/susan-jones/republicans-insist-theyre-tackling-peoples-priorities-illegal-immigration

In other words the peoples priorities are what WE say they are!  And THAT ladies and gentlemen is the PROBLEM!!!

Absolutely correct.  For ten years the people have wanted comprehensive immigration reform, yet the Republicans continue to hinder it, bowing to a small group on the right who don't care what the people want.  Thus we are where we are and the left is in charge of immigration.   :shrug:
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2015, 07:08:26 pm »

No.  What's suicide is allowing this president to do whatever the hell he wants. 

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
― Ron Paul

“If two parties with two sets of bad ideas cooperate, the result is not good policy, but policy that is extremely bad. What we really need are correct economic and politcal ideas, regardless of the party that pushes them.”
― Ron Paul,

bkepley

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2015, 07:15:20 pm »
No.  What's suicide is allowing this president to do whatever the hell he wants. 

He's not doing whatever he wants but I really do wish that I could believe that the American people would agree with impeachment for technical disagreements.   I also believe  there would be wide-spread riots.  In short I think anyone believing the Republicans and the country would be better off attempting to impeach Obama is being a fool, maybe purposely because I just can't see it being anything but a disaster.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2015, 07:39:52 pm »
He's not doing whatever he wants but I really do wish that I could believe that the American people would agree with impeachment for technical disagreements.   I also believe  there would be wide-spread riots.  In short I think anyone believing the Republicans and the country would be better off attempting to impeach Obama is being a fool, maybe purposely because I just can't see it being anything but a disaster.

Side-stepping Congress and trampling on the Constitution are not technical disagreements. Do you not see that in many cases this president has side-stepped Congress?? Do you not see against the advise of his military chiefs and others that his early withdrawal of troops in the Middle East served two purposes -- re-election and giving rise to ISIS?  Do you not see that we have 4 dead Americans that he lied about in order to cover up arming terrorists?  Do you not see that the IRS targeted conservatives and again we were lied to?  Do you not see that he has not closed the borders but contracted companies to bus illegal children into this country?  Do you not see that he has disregarded Israel as an ally? The list goes on and on and on.

Quite frankly, I consider myself a conservative, not necessary a Republican.  I only consider a handful in Congress as conservatives; the rest I see as DEMS or RINO's.

The foolish thing has already been done ... allowing this president to overreach and trample the Constitution...and you are worried about rioting in the streets?  What exactly do you think is going to happen if we continue in the direction that we are headed? Perhaps socialism or living under a dictatorship appeals to you? What do you think is going to happen when this government declares martial law and refuses to step down, or the government comes knocking on your and your neighbor's door to collect your guns because they have determined that you are unfit to own a gun?  At that point, rioting in the streets would have been the least of our worries.

The fools are the ones that have sat by and allowed it to happen.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 07:42:38 pm by libertybele »

bkepley

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2015, 07:45:44 pm »
Side-stepping Congress and trampling on the Constitution are not technical disagreements. Do you not see that in many cases this president has side-stepped Congress?? Do you not see against the advise of his military chiefs and others that his early withdrawal of troops in the Middle East served two purposes -- re-election and giving rise to ISIS?  Do you not see that we have 4 dead Americans that he lied about in order to cover up arming terrorists?  Do you not see that the IRS targeted conservatives and again we were lied to?  Do you not see that he has not closed the borders but contracted companies to bus illegal children into this country?  Do you not see that he has disregarded Israel as an ally? The list goes on and on and on.

Quite frankly, I consider myself a conservative, not necessary a Republican.  I only consider a handful in Congress as conservatives; the rest I see as DEMS or RINO's.

The foolish thing has already been done ... allowing this president to overreach and trample the Constitution...and you are worried about rioting in the streets?  What exactly do you think is going to happen if we continue in the direction that we are headed? Perhaps socialism or living under a dictatorship appeals to you? What do you think is going to happen when this government declares martial law and refuses to step down, or the government comes knocking on your and your neighbor's door to collect your guns because they have determined that you are unfit to own a gun?  At that point, rioting in the streets would have been the least of our worries.

The fools are the ones that have sat by and allowed it to happen.

Oh well...get out and smell the roses while there's still time cuz there ain't gonna be any impeachment unless a Obama commits what almost everyone can agree is a high crime or misdemeanor. :patriot:

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2015, 08:01:17 pm »
Peace.  :patriot:

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2015, 08:12:00 pm »
"Over the top" screeching exaggerations, merely confirm a person is not realistic.

I've already seen rioting in the streets. And then we got through it, so it wasn't "the end" after all.

FDR offended conservatives, and they probably said it would be "the end." That it was "suicide."

What we have seen in the last 6 1/2 years is nothing, compared to what my mother's generation saw.

If we were fighting the war on terror like we fought WWII, there would be 32 million people in uniform. Ten percent of the population. Not the 1.4 million currently serving.

At the time the "conservative" thing to do was stay home, keep out of it. It was not our war, until it was. And it was the awful FDR that managed our involvement, with quite a lot of political skill.

When one is known to be not realistic, eventually most people lose interest, and quit listening/reading.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2015, 08:32:09 pm »
Reid was an obstructionist I will give you that one.  But he is now the minority leader.  I'm sorry, but this "blame game" is ridiculous.  The Dems blame the GOPe and the GOPe blames the DEMS and TEA and nothing gets done ... stating it's a divided government.  Well, hello, the government is set up with certain "checks and balances".  It becomes a three ring circus when both sides blame each other to give the illusion that they are actually doing something and allows the president to walk all over them and the Constitution.

In my opinion it would be more accurate to state that nothing is getting done because both DEMS and the GOPe are playing the same game and belong to the same country club.

Look at what Barry has done or attempted by executive order...sorry but it looks to me that most of the 534 members of Congress stood around with their hands in their pockets and watched him do it.  Look at how many times Barry has  side-stepped Congress and in essence made them ineffective.  Impeachment would have put a damper on things; but God forbid if we ruffle the feathers of the black Muslim leader in the White House. The same leader who withdrew troops early to win an election, lied to the people about 4 dead Americans, lit up the White House to look like a gay brothel and took he's sweet time to lower the flag at half-staff to honor the recent fallen military in TN. Then there was the argument well, we won't have the majority in the Senate to impeach him.  So what?  Trying would be better than doing nothing!  Keeping him busy with impeachment proceedings might have kept his hands out of the cookie jar for awhile.

Yet you blame everything on the GOP.

You DO understand how our government works, don't you?

Having a majority in Congress doesn't mean that you can write and pass laws at will.

You must have a veto-proof majority to override a Presidential veto, and Obama has basically vowed to veto any legislation that the GOP throws at him.

You need a two-thirds majority on both Chambers of Congress to overcome a Presidential veto.

That's 66 votes in the Senate and 288 votes in the House.

Right now the GOP has 54 votes possible votes in the Senate, and 247 possible votes in the House.

So tell me, how you would get around that?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 08:33:00 pm by Luis Gonzalez »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2015, 08:37:27 pm »

Having a majority in Congress doesn't mean that you can write and pass laws at will.

You must have a veto-proof majority to override a Presidential veto, and Obama has basically vowed to veto any legislation that the GOP throws at him.

You need a two-thirds majority on both Chambers of Congress to overcome a Presidential veto.

Right now the GOP has 54 votes possible votes in the Senate, and 247 possible votes in the House.

The thing is Luis the angry right doesn't want to hear, consider or involve themselves in any direct responsibility.

They just want to shout out "fight harder," as if that attitude will magically translate into the necessary votes from the democrats in Congress.

An illustration is seen in the current support for and fascination with Trump. He's putting on an entertaining show, of "fighting harder," however no results are on the horizon.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2015, 08:41:02 pm »

So the GOP should just lie down and give the bastard anything he wants because we don't have "a veto proof majority"?

I would get around that by using the tools we were given in the Constitution such as the power of the purse! Obama can't legally spend one red cent that the CONGRESS has not appropriated!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 08:43:34 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

bkepley

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2015, 08:46:40 pm »
So the GOP should just lie down and give the bastard anything he wants because we don't have "a veto proof majority"?

I would get around that by using the tools we were given in the Constitution such as the power of the purse!

Republicans have been doing that but Obama can still force a shutdown which he doesn't mind at all.  Regardless of his poor polling numbers congress is even worse and Obama ends up being blamed less than the GOP.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2015, 08:47:05 pm »

I would get around that by using the tools we were given in the Constitution such as the power of the purse! Obama can't legally spend one red cent that the CONGRESS has not appropriated!

Shut down the government.

That worked out so well the last time.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2015, 08:47:35 pm »
Republicans have been doing that but Obama can still force a shutdown which he doesn't mind at all.  Regardless of his poor polling numbers congress is even worse and Obama ends up being blamed less than the GOP.

Quit making sense.