Author Topic: NYT...Rush Limbaugh Rallies Listeners to Donald Trump’s Defense  (Read 968 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2015/07/20/rush-limbaugh-rallies-listeners-to-donald-trumps-defense/?_r=0

3:25 pm ET
 By Maggie Haberman

The conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh, who has a substantial following among grass-roots Republicans, came to the defense of Donald J. Trump on Monday as prominent leaders in the party stepped up their criticism of Mr. Trump’s pointed comments about Senator John McCain.

Such a defense is not entirely surprising, since Mr. Limbaugh’s distaste for the Republican establishment is deep and well documented. But the supportive words from Mr. Limbaugh may provide Mr. Trump with the inoculation he needs to survive the scorn of the party’s elders long enough to be included in the presidential debates.

Mr. Trump is not following the typical protocol for public figures who are scorned by the establishment, Mr. Limbaugh said.

“The American people haven’t seen something like this in a long time,” the radio host said, speaking to the unique nature of the emerging 2016 Republican presidential contest, in which harnessing anger and money may be crucial ingredients for success. “They have not seen an embattled public figure stand up for himself, double down and tell everybody to go to hell.”

“Trump can survive this, Trump is surviving this,” Mr. Limbaugh said at the start of his three-hour program on Monday, two days after Mr. Trump took issue with the description of Mr. McCain, a former Vietnam prisoner-of-war, as a “war hero.” “This is a great, great teachable moment here, this whole thing with Trump and McCain.”

Last week, Mr. Limbaugh expressed aggravation with Mr. McCain, who has never been a favorite of the Republican base, for saying that Mr. Trump was riling up “the crazies” in the party with his comments about illegal immigrants from Mexico.

Mr. Limbaugh described the dust-up as an over-hyped effort from “the drive-by media.” He returned to the topic in the show’s second hour, pointing out that Democrats have taken shots at Mr. McCain’s service — including Senator Al Franken of Minnesota, years before he was elected to the Senate.

“When leftists attack McCain, they’re perfectly warranted, because they’re nice people,” Mr. Limbaugh said. “Here comes Trump, and you would think that nobody has ever said anything like this before about the revered and respected John McCain.”

Pointing out how many people are calling now for Mr. Trump to exit the race for president, Mr. Limbaugh said: “There’s just one problem — Trump is not following the rules that targets are supposed to follow. Targets are supposed to immediately grovel, apologize.”

“Guiding all of this,” Mr. Limbaugh said, “is the guiding presumption that the majority of the American people are as outraged as the media are.”
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline kevindavis007

Re: NYT...Rush Limbaugh Rallies Listeners to Donald Trump’s Defense
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 11:05:42 pm »
If that is the case, I'm no longer a fan of Rush..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

bkepley

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 11:18:17 pm »
So did Cruz...come on..no big deal..come to think of it I don't know if I've ever cared what Rush says anyway.  I think he's less important than many think.

bkepley

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 11:22:55 pm »
If that is the case, I'm no longer a fan of Rush..

Are you kidding me?  Can you imagine the shrieks of outrage from the front row if he should criticise Trump.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 11:28:08 pm »
Rush's best days are behind him. That has been the case for some time.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 11:28:23 pm »
Are you kidding me?  Can you imagine the shrieks of outrage from the front row if he should criticise Trump.

True..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline mrclose

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 12:14:28 am »
I'm a nam vet and the guy who crowned my step daughter (As Miss Mechanicsville) was also a pow and is a family friend .. He has nothing good to say about McLame.

He was at the Hilton when McLame was, for seven years.
(Paul is a conservative)

Paul E. Galanti

Paul Galanti was a prisoner of war for nearly seven years in North Vietnam's infamous Hanoi Hilton complex. He not only maintained his sanity, he has managed, since his return in February 1973, to excel in several different fields. He maintains a positive attitude despite having been deprived of "what should have been some of the best years of my life."

"Not so," says Galanti, "the best years are here, now"

In 2002, Paul was appointed as the Director of National Services Officers for the American Ex-Prisoners of War and currently is National Director as well as a service & legislative officer for that organization.

He writes a monthly column for American Ex-POWs' excellent monthly American Ex-POW Bulletin.

In 2003, he was appointed by Secretary of Veterans Affairs, Anthony J. Principi to serve on the Secretary's Advisory Committee on Former POWs.

Galanti was named to serve on the Board of Virginia's new  Department of Veterans' Services by Governor Mark Warner. He was reappointed by Governor Tim Kaine and elected Chairman of the Board of Veterans Services in 2006.

http://www.nampows.org/pgbio.html
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 12:16:30 am by mrclose »
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

bkepley

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 12:19:50 am »
I'm a nam vet and the guy who crowned my step daughter (As Miss Mechanicsville) was also a pow and is a family friend .. He has nothing good to say about McLame.

(Paul is a conservative)

Paul E. Galanti

Good to know.  Do you honestly think Trump knows anything at all about you're concerns? 

bkepley

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 12:23:29 am »
Good to know.  Do you honestly think Trump knows anything at all about you're concerns?

you're = your in this case :)

Offline mrclose

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 12:25:28 am »

I have no idea.

"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Online massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2015, 12:34:31 am »
Dear Rush:  I am all for "sticking it to the man" when it comes to the GOP establishment.  But Donald Trump?  What credibility does Trump have as a conservative?  You have been in the trenches for 30 years, during which time Donald Trump was giving money to the Clintons and many other nefarious politicians.  You need to consider whether you are being taken in by a narcissistic charlatan. 

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2015, 12:37:49 am »

(Paul is a conservative)

Paul E. Galanti

Anybody who works for Kaine or Warner is hardly a Conservative..

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2015, 12:58:20 am »
Dear Rush:  I am all for "sticking it to the man" when it comes to the GOP establishment.  But Donald Trump?  What credibility does Trump have as a conservative?  You have been in the trenches for 30 years, during which time Donald Trump was giving money to the Clintons and many other nefarious politicians.  You need to consider whether you are being taken in by a narcissistic charlatan.

I hope that Donald Trump is not the nominee..  It will be the mother of all epic disasters..

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2015, 01:31:50 am »
And today's meme:

"I hate Donald Trump - but I can't stop talking about him!"

11513 11513 11513 11513 11513

Really!  Aren't there any other candidates saying anything of substance?  Isn't there anything else going on in the world that is worth talking about?  Y'all are falling in the trap, don't you think this could just be a big distraction? 

Quit talking about the guy and he'll go away for heaven's sake!

« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 01:32:32 am by alicewonders »
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline aligncare

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2015, 02:06:03 am »
And today's meme:

"I hate Donald Trump - but I can't stop talking about him!"

11513 11513 11513 11513 11513

Really!  Aren't there any other candidates saying anything of substance?  Isn't there anything else going on in the world that is worth talking about?  Y'all are falling in the trap, don't you think this could just be a big distraction? 

Quit talking about the guy and he'll go away for heaven's sake!

People are talking about Trump because Trump brings up things the other candidates are either unwilling or unable to say.

When nobody owns you, when you are not reading off a carefully worded script, you say what needs to be said.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 02:13:30 am by aligncare »

Online massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2015, 02:54:58 am »

I hope that Donald Trump is not the nominee..  It will be the mother of all epic disasters..

LOL.  I don't think you have anything to worry about.