Author Topic: No explanation by Obama on flags not lowered to half-staff for Chattanooga shootings..[update..will lower flag to half staff]  (Read 6688 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
Rituals, like funerals, are always about the living.

Then why does it matter so much that the flag was not brought to half-mast for these marines? It's just a ritual to make us feel better; it's not for the marines that lost everything. If Obama disrespected anybody it was the people that put a lot of value on that particular ritual.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline NavyCanDo

Respect for Tradition. Some things we just "do." Revile in the morning, taps in the pm.

And presenting a folded flag to a widow or mother. None of these will bring anybody back, or punish those that did the killing, but like revile, taps, honoring the lost with a flag  half staff or hanging a wreath on a tomb, they are American traditions worth preserving and protecting. 
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Relic

He hates America and is doing all he can to tear her apart.  It's sickening on many levels, yet the GOP voters are more concerned with getting their perfect 100% ideological candidate and are busy arguing with each other.

And some posters, while observing that there is a true enemy in the White House, can't resist taking shots at fellow citizens who also oppose Obama.

Offline musiclady

Rituals, like funerals, are always about the living.

And yet in honor of and respect for the lives of those who have died.

Honor and respect are never without meaning.  And when it comes to our military.......... and these particular heroes who died here on our own soil at the hands of the enemy...... it is extremely important to maintain the tradition of respect.

Of course, Obama has no respect, so he had to be pressured to do so from outside his very selfish, childish little being.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

Then why does it matter so much that the flag was not brought to half-mast for these marines? It's just a ritual to make us feel better; it's not for the marines that lost everything. If Obama disrespected anybody it was the people that put a lot of value on that particular ritual.

Yes, that's it Dexter.  It's only about us.  It's all about us.  It's not about honor.  It's not about the sacrifice of those who died at the hands of a terrorist on American soil.  It's only about us.

You nailed it.   **nononono*

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline Relic

Memorial Day honors the marines that died in Chattanooga too. Why is dying here more significant than dying over there?

Lowering the flag doesn't imply that these deaths are any more or less meaningful than others. But, like so many others, context only matters to you when it's to your advantage.

Service members who are in a combat zone when they are killed are not less valued than the people at the recruiting station. However, the deaths in a combat zone are more expected, and the people killed, in general, are combatants, armed, and ready.

Here's an analogy. A policeman arrives at the scene of an active shooter and is killed in the line of duty. Another policeman is attacked in his home, while he is unarmed, and killed in cold blood. While both deaths are tragic, and both officers are valued equally, the second shocks us more.

So yes, flying the flag at half staff to commemorate the lives of service members who died when they are at ease, and supposedly safe makes sense to me.

Must you always be obtuse?

Offline Relic

See, it is easy to grow cynical and even sarcastic about "GOP voters." Join the club.

And it's also easy to notice some posters only contribution is to attempt to try to widen the divide.

Offline Relic

Yes, Americans.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
And presenting a folded flag to a widow or mother. None of these will bring anybody back, or punish those that did the killing, but like revile, taps, honoring the lost with a flag  half staff or hanging a wreath on a tomb, they are American traditions worth preserving and protecting.
Simply, it is a small show of official recognition and respect to the family, for the service members contribution to his/her country.

No excuse at all for Obama to delay it in this case.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Dexter

I guess the reason I'm being cantankerous about this is because I really don't think this is a big deal at all. There are plenty of legitimate reasons to hate Obama, but this is not one of them. The GOP must learn to save its outrage for things that are truly important if it wants to be taken seriously.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 06:57:49 pm by Dexter »
-Socrates

Offline Relic

I guess the reason I'm being cantankerous about this is because I really don't think this is a big deal at all. There are plenty of legitimate reasons to hate Obama, but this is not one of them. The GOP must learn to contain its outrage and get angry about things that are truly important.

Be careful of your wording. At first read, it looks like you're saying the deaths are no big deal.

I get your meaning, and you do have a point. You didn't have to be a db to make that point. However, I will disagree. Just as the leftist push is constant, on all fronts, the pushback must be the same. It's important to point out exactly what the left is, and what they bring. If Americans still welcome that, they are beyond help.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
It's not about Obama.

It's about death. Which is ALWAYS a big deal.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline musiclady

Lowering the flag doesn't imply that these deaths are any more or less meaningful than others. But, like so many others, context only matters to you when it's to your advantage.

Service members who are in a combat zone when they are killed are not less valued than the people at the recruiting station. However, the deaths in a combat zone are more expected, and the people killed, in general, are combatants, armed, and ready.

Here's an analogy. A policeman arrives at the scene of an active shooter and is killed in the line of duty. Another policeman is attacked in his home, while he is unarmed, and killed in cold blood. While both deaths are tragic, and both officers are valued equally, the second shocks us more.

So yes, flying the flag at half staff to commemorate the lives of service members who died when they are at ease, and supposedly safe makes sense to me.

Must you always be obtuse?

Thank you for taking the time to explain that, Relic (even though it IS obvious).

Well done.

I don't have the patience to handle the incessant and deliberate obtuseness......
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 07:05:50 pm by musiclady »

Offline Dexter

I'm sorry if my opinions have offended anybody.
-Socrates

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
I'm sorry if my opinions have offended anybody.
I am a vet, as was one grandfather, my father, my uncle, my niece and my father-in-law.

It costs people nothing to be respectful of the people who sacrifice to protect the others.

Disrespect from Obama and Trump means disrespect, however you parse it.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Carling

We've lost about 7,000 soldiers in the Middle East and over 1 million were wounded. How many times did we fly our flags at half-mast for them? How many for the hundreds of thousands of soldiers that lost their lives in Vietnam and the world wars? No disrespect to these marines, but a lot of soldiers have been ambushed and murdered by rage consumed extremists. Why is their loss more significant than the loss of so many others?

Because this was a terror attack that killed 5 soldiers on US soil, and because he lowered the flag after the Navy Yard shootings.

Keep defending Obama.
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline Dexter

Keep defending Obama.

I defend reality regardless of who it benefits. Anybody that actually reads my posts knows that I'm not an Obama supporter.
-Socrates

Offline musiclady

I defend reality regardless of who it benefits. Anybody that actually reads my posts knows that I'm not an Obama supporter.

Do we?

Offline rb224315

• Custom Title goes here
  • Personal Text goes here
I've read only a few of the posts so maybe I'm saying something that's already been mentioned, but here goes . . .

My problem with not lowering the flag is that the 0bama administration breaks their necks to make gestures to honor or acknowledge some people but not others, and the "others" in this case are more deserving than the ones they've made gestures for.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see where 0bama's loyalties lie, and that's my problem with the flag flap.  Indeed, it's my problem with most of what he does.

He sends representatives to Michael Brown's funeral but not Kate Steinle's.  In fact, he hasn't as much as mentioned the Steinle case.  Trayvon Martin looked like he could be 0bama's son.  What about the military personnel gunned down in Chattanooga?  Oh, right.  A Muslim fanatic gunned them down, not a "white hispanic".

The administration found a way to bathe the White House in rainbow colors by sunset on the day of the homosexual marriage ruling (ok, I exaggerate) but couldn't be bothered to lower the flag in honor of people under his command.
rb224315:  just another "Creepy-ass Cracka".

Offline olde north church

And it's also easy to notice some posters only contribution is to attempt to try to widen the divide.

But others should note it's a contribution to wake the f*ck up.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline olde north church

I've read only a few of the posts so maybe I'm saying something that's already been mentioned, but here goes . . .

My problem with not lowering the flag is that the 0bama administration breaks their necks to make gestures to honor or acknowledge some people but not others, and the "others" in this case are more deserving than the ones they've made gestures for.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see where 0bama's loyalties lie, and that's my problem with the flag flap.  Indeed, it's my problem with most of what he does.

He sends representatives to Michael Brown's funeral but not Kate Steinle's.  In fact, he hasn't as much as mentioned the Steinle case.  Trayvon Martin looked like he could be 0bama's son.  What about the military personnel gunned down in Chattanooga?  Oh, right.  A Muslim fanatic gunned them down, not a "white hispanic".

The administration found a way to bathe the White House in rainbow colors by sunset on the day of the homosexual marriage ruling (ok, I exaggerate) but couldn't be bothered to lower the flag in honor of people under his command.

As long as their is no MEANINGFUL response, there will be no change.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
As long as their is no MEANINGFUL response, there will be no change.

Post of the day!!!

ABSOLUTELY right!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Dexter

Do we?

Truth be told I've never been very concerned about whether or not people believe what I say.
-Socrates

Offline Relic

Truth be told I've never been very concerned about whether or not people believe what I say.

With good reason!  :silly: