Author Topic: Big weekend arrives for Favre, joining Packers Hall of Fame  (Read 1723 times)

Offline Lando Lincoln

Big weekend arrives for Favre, joining Packers Hall of Fame
By GENARO C. ARMAS
Jul. 17, 2015 4:25 PM EDT
http://pro32.ap.org/article/big-weekend-favre-joining-packers-hall-fame

The great thaw is nearly complete. The big weekend in Green Bay is finally here for Brett Favre.

The former quarterback renowned for his durability and gunslinger mentality will be inducted into the Packers Hall of Fame and have his No. 4 jersey retired on Saturday. It's a day some Packers fans thought they might never see.

The sides have mended their relationship after a messy split that stemmed from the "will he or won't he retire" drama that led to a once-unthinkable exit from Green Bay in 2008.

But Saturday begins a green-and-gold celebration of a storied, 16-year tenure with the Packers that helped revive of one of the NFL's marquee teams.

"I think it's huge," Mike McCarthy, Favre's last coach with the Packers, said during minicamp. "There (are) some monumental moments for this organization and obviously he has quite a few of them. He deserves to be honored the right way."

With the kind of fanfare befitting for a player who had a flair for the dramatic, both on and off the field.

The induction ceremony for old No. 4 will take place in the Lambeau Field atrium. The roughly 67,000 seats for fans to watch on video boards inside the stadium bowl have long been sold out.

Tickets, of course, cost $4. Net proceeds were to go to the Favre 4 Hope charity.

Now 45, Favre will also participate in a charity flag football game on Sunday at the University of Wisconsin's Camp Randall Stadium. The event will pit former Packers against noted retired NFL players including former Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb.

A scheduling conflict at Lambeau and the game's proximity to training camp, which starts in less than two weeks, prevented the game from being held in Green Bay.

Returning to Lambeau for the event might have made the weekend perfect for Favre. Still, this is a moment that he has been looking forward to for some time.

"To say a whirlwind would be probably an understatement. It's going to be a lot of fun. Much anticipated obviously. Not only from our end but I think from everyone else," Favre said earlier this year.

The rumblings in Titletown began a decade ago after the Packers took Aaron Rodgers in the first round of the 2005 draft. Favre wasn't thrilled that the team had found his heir apparent, and fans initially treated Rodgers with skepticism.

Rodgers took over in 2008 after Favre was traded to the Jets. Favre retired briefly, then came back with the Minnesota Vikings for a two-year stint starting in 2009 that finally finished his career.

Any apprehension that Favre might have felt about how fans might react disappeared after the response for tickets.

"If there were any questions prior to that about how the fans felt about my return, I think those questions have been answered," Favre said.

Packers president Mark Murphy said he also initially wasn't sure what kind of turnout to expect on Saturday night.

"But the fact that it sold out sold quickly tells me the fans are ready," Murphy said. "It's time."

Another milestone will come on Thanksgiving night, when Favre's number will go up on the stadium's interior facade during the game against the Chicago Bears.

Favre threw for nearly 72,000 yards and completed 62 percent of his passes in a 20-year career overall that began after being drafted by Atlanta in the second round in 1991.

In February 1992, under then-new general manager Ron Wolf, Green Bay acquired Favre from the Falcons for a first-round pick. The Packers won the Super Bowl four seasons later, beating New England 35-21. They returned to the Super Bowl the following season, losing to Denver 31-24.

Renowned for his durability, Favre holds a slew of NFL marks including a QB-record 297 straight regular-season games. He won three MVP awards.

His 16 seasons in Green Bay matched Bart Starr (1956-71) for the longest tenure in team history.

"I don't know if there has been a player in recent memory that has been as connected as Favre to the Packers ... How many people have 16 years with one team," Murphy said. "For him to have the kind of career he did with us is pretty exceptional."
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Lando Lincoln

Re: Big weekend arrives for Favre, joining Packers Hall of Fame
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 01:12:38 pm »
Brett Favre's glorious return to Lambeau
By Tom Silverstein of the Journal Sentinel
July 16, 2015
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/brett-favres-glorious-return-to-lambeau-b99539231z1-316081491.html

Green Bay — Brett Favre came through the home tunnel for pregame introductions at Lambeau Field approximately 170 times during the course of a 16-year career with the Green Bay Packers.

He entered twice through the visitor tunnel.

The two times he wore a purple and white helmet to a cascade of boos could have spoiled the lasting memory of so many trips out of the darkness and into the light of his sprawling backyard at 1265 Lombardi Ave.

They are the most recent recollections of what it was like to enter the stadium he once owned.

So, when Favre comes out to greet a crowd of 67,000 people Saturday night at Lambeau Field, he will enter through the home tunnel one more time. And instead of the invectives he heard as a Minnesota Viking, the reception should take him back to the place he once was.

"This goes for any player who's had a chance to experience even just somewhat close to what I've been able to," Favre said in a phone interview this week. "Catch a touchdown pass, have a sack; it may be one, it may be 20. Run a touchdown in, whatever.

"If you've had a chance to experience that, then you know what an amazing feeling that is. But you also know that when you leave the game, there's never anything that can even come close to comparing to that feeling.

"To be able to go back again and to enjoy that one more time is awesome. I mean, I don't know what else to say. To see that in an hour and a half, you're sold out. I mean, are you kidding me?"

Favre was off a bit on the time it took to sell out tickets for a stadium view of his induction into the Packers Hall of Fame and the retirement of his number Saturday evening. It actually took eight hours.

But when you consider those folks are paying to watch the actual induction ceremony and unfurling of a banner bearing his No. 4 inside the Lambeau Field Atrium on a video board, you understand his disbelief.

Before the induction banquet, Favre will address the crowd through a short question-and-answer session at midfield with WTMJ broadcaster Lance Allan. Just weeks shy of the seven-year anniversary of when his estrangement from the Packers organization began, Favre will return to the place some think he built.

"A lot of people might want to take credit for it all, but he was the one who brought about the reformation around here," former general manager Ron Wolf said. "All of what you see, all of the remarkable transformation of this place, that's all the result of Brett Favre.

"I don't know who else you can give credit to. He changed the whole complexion of the Green Bay Packers. They called old Yankee Stadium, 'The House That Ruth Built.'

"This is the house that Favre built."

The Packers' resurrection in the early 1990s had many other components, not the least of which were Wolf's keen personnel decisions. But when you talk about the injection of life on the field, the explosion in popularity off it and the millions of dollars that allowed the Packers to build their Taj Mahal, Favre is the single most identifiable reason.

The Packers had a 9,000-name waiting list for season tickets in 1987. By the end of the 1990s, it had reached close to 100,000.

Every year Favre was with the Packers, his jersey was among the most popular purchased in souvenir stores. In 1989, three years before Favre was acquired from the Atlanta Falcons for a first-round draft choice, the Packers ranked 20th in total merchandise sold. By 1997, they ranked first in the NFL, creeping ahead of the Dallas Cowboys for the first time.

Favre made the Packers a must-see in the state and a regular on national TV, too.

In 1992, the local rating for Packers games was 31. In '97, when they went to Super Bowl XXXII, the ratings had jumped to 48.5. Since Favre joined the team, the local ratings for Packers football have been among the highest in the NFL.

"I think his leadership, his personality made him popular," former president Bob Harlan said. "I think Green Bay was a perfect fit for Brett Favre. He was comfortable here. He liked his beer and his pizza, and I think that resonated with fans.

"Part of the leadership was the way he played through injury. He made 253 consecutive starts. Every Sunday, everyone knew he was pretty beat, but he refused to not play. He's the greatest competitor I've been around."

Even as late as 2006, Favre's popularity was booming. According to a Harris Poll of American sports fans, Favre was their favorite player. He topped the '03 and '04 polls as well and finished second to Peyton Manning in '05.

When Favre signed with the Minnesota Vikings in 2009 — a year after he and the Packers had severed ties — the team sold 2,000 season tickets and 6,000 single-game tickets on the day the news broke.

Favre's split with the Packers was ugly, but it wasn't unprecedented. Fans felt betrayed when Vince Lombardi left his general manager's position to coach in Washington. Curly Lambeau resigned in 1950 after a dispute with the team over financial matters and went on to coach Chicago and Washington.

The vitriol toward Favre was extensive. Favre had agonizingly contemplated retirement year after year until making it final after the '07 season, then changing his mind just as training camp was about to end. People thought he undermined the career of heir apparent Aaron Rodgers.

The way fans lined up on one side (for Favre) or the other (against him) now looks like a precursor for the split in Wisconsin politics.

"I couldn't grasp all that," Wolf said of Favre's split with the franchise. "To this day I don't know what happened. It was unfortunate. But that's going to happen. At some point the Packers were going to have to divest themselves of Brett Favre.

"Maybe it didn't come off the best way, but to be vilified the way he was made no sense. He didn't quit the Packers; he was traded. But none of it matters now. They're retiring his number and they sold the place out in something like five hours."

Time seemed to heal the hurt both sides felt and with the Packers repeatedly reaching out to Favre but also giving him time and space, the perfect moment came when Harlan, a member of the Hall of Fame committee, suggested that the Packers team with the Hall of Fame to honor Favre twice.

Thus, after seven years away, Favre will return to the stadium to be inducted into the Hall of Fame and have his number retired. The induction ceremony and unfurling of the banner displaying his number will take place inside the Lambeau Field Atrium.

For his part, Favre said he is thrilled to be back in the embrace of the Packers fan base but doesn't feel there is anything anyone owes him for his contribution. Asked whether he felt like he built the Packers into what they are now, Favre said no.

"I still believe this 100% that the brand, the magnitude of where the Packers have grown to really... I mean, they were always big, but from '92 on, I think a lot of that, if not all of the credit, goes to Ron Wolf," Favre said. "He's going to say different as he always does.

"But he hired Mike Holmgren. He made the crazy trade for me. He was instrumental in making coming to Green Bay cool, and he did that by bringing in Reggie White, the biggest free agent signing in history, in my opinion."

Favre said he doesn't even want to think about Lambeau Field belonging to him because that would diminish the contribution all the players, coaches, administrators, trainers, equipment managers, maintenance people and others played in making the Packers what they are now.

"I always felt like, I don't want to say borrowed time, but I knew that you run your course," Favre said of his legacy ending. "Football is not something you play forever. Each game could be your last. Obviously, each season, too. Thankfully, for me, I had 16 greats.

"That's a lot of years."

On Saturday, Favre will not only return to Lambeau, he'll be able to speak to the fans again. He said he's pretty sure he won't get emotional, but he knows he'll run out of time when it comes to thanking people.

"Yes, sort of," Favre said of having a prepared speech. "I'm sure I'll be deviating some. I'll think of stories. I'll probably tell more stories than maybe other players have told, but I think I've amassed more stories than most.

"It's like when they said, 'Hey, who you want to invite?' I'm like, 'Are you kidding me?'"
John Steinbeck

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 01:22:32 pm »
Brett Favre's first game action where it mattered.  He came in for an injured Don Majkowski.  1:07 remaining, 4th quarter.  No timeouts remaining.  Packers down by 6 and on their own 8 yard line.  The next game became Favre's first start in the NFL.  His first of 297 consecutive starts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ6LTcvzzAs
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 12:36:18 pm by Lando Lincoln »
John Steinbeck

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 01:33:45 pm »
Welcome home Brett.  You are a flawed human being like all of us.  But no sports figure ever gave me more **gasp** moments than you.  No one made everyone else on the field better quite like you.  I can't fault you for loving the game and your competitive drive too much to leave the game.  Nor can I fault the Packers for knowing who - and what - they had on the bench.

Again, welcome home.  Thank you. 
John Steinbeck

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2015, 01:43:13 pm »
LeRoy Butler on Brett Favre: 'He's not human'
Rob Demovsky, ESPN Staff Writer
July 17, 2015
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/71113/leroy-butler-on-brett-favre-hes-not-human

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- LeRoy Butler remembers that he took one look at Brett Favre's left ankle after the Green Bay Packers quarterback sprained it against the Minnesota Vikings in 1995.

"That thing was yellow, green, orange and brown," Butler recalled in an interview this week. "I said, 'Dude, you can't play next week.'"

Favre, of course, had other plans.

"He looked at me and said, 'Roy Lee -- that's what he called me -- there ain't a damn thing wrong with my arm,'" Butler said. "He said, 'There ain't nothing wrong with the chicken wing.'"

Talk to Favre's former teammates, and they all have a story about his legendary toughness.

"I don't think he's human," said Butler, the four-time All-Pro safety who played for the Packers from 1990-2001. "Whenever it's his time to leave this earth, I want to see the X-rays. I don't believe it. He's not human. I'm telling you the guy's a mixture of Wolverine, RoboCop and Superman."

In advance of his induction into the Packers Hall of Fame on Saturday, several of Favre's former teammates and Packers employees agreed to share their thoughts on the legendary quarterback:

Butler on Favre's gunslinger mentality:

"We had a situation early on where he threw an interception in practice and he was dejected. I said, 'Brett, why are you upset? We'll just get it back. Don't worry about it. Don't let an interception stop you from throwing it between the linebacker and the corner and the safety. Make the throw. We'll take it from here.' That's how we won a Super Bowl. There's not another guy who has that kind of moxie and the kind of the confidence to say, 'You know what? I'm going to make this throw. Forget about the check down in the flat. Forget about the wide-open guy that will get me eight yards. I'm going for 25 because I can make that throw.'"

Kicker Ryan Longwell, who played with Favre in Green Bay and Minnesota, on Favre's fearlessness:

"Ultimately his toughness allowed him the longevity to play the game the way he wanted to, which to me was all about winning. I distinctly remember the St. Louis playoff game where he threw six picks, and I remember the conversation between him and coach [Mike Sherman] on the sideline, and it wasn't real friendly. But the gist of it was, 'Why do you want me to throw the check-down pass when we're three touchdowns behind? And the only way we're going to come back is to force it down the field.' I think for him it was always about winning, which took away some of the anxiety of making the mistake. So many people nowadays in the league are just scared to make a mistake, and their play shows that. He just never had that gene put in his body, and it made him great."

Mark Tauscher, a Packers tackle from 2000-2010, on Favre's iron-man streak of consecutive starts:

"Yeah, he was a great talent, but he was always available. It gave everyone the belief that we thought we could win every game we played in. I've fortunately been able to play with only great quarterbacks -- Brett and Aaron [Rodgers] -- but when you talk to other guys with other teams and there's turnover at that position, there's guys that don't have that belief. With Brett and then with Aaron, there was never a doubt in anyone's mind when we went out to play that we would have a great chance to win that game."

Antonio Freeman, who caught more touchdown passes from Favre than any other receiver, on how Favre helped him develop:

"Everything was just so sudden for me. I was a punt returner/kicker returner and then my second year, I became the No. 1 target for one of the league’s top passers. I think Sterling Sharpe came right in and had success, but I don't know many others that were pushed into that role and had to perform in their second year.

"One of my most memorable times was the 81-yard touchdown in the Super Bowl [XXXI]. There was nothing that could replace that. I was just a second-year kid. I was Brett Favre's guy, and we're in the Super Bowl. That's a lot for a second-year guy to handle, and my quarterback thinks, 'Oh yeah, he can do this. This is nothing.'"

Kansas City Chiefs general manager John Dorsey, a Packers scout when Favre came to Green Bay, on what made Favre great:

"His physical skills, number one. That arm strength and accuracy as a thrower. And his innate trait, you always knew you were in the game when he was there. You always knew you had a chance. I think that’s rare. You saw all the physical skills right away, but it wasn't until he played in the Cincinnati game [in 1992], that was really the first time watching him close and you see all the physical skills, the arm strength, ability to compete, toughness. But I never knew how good his ability to close was at the end in the fourth quarter. And that's just his competitive zeal and spirit that's just special."

Longwell on his favorite Favre memories:

"The first time I ever saw him in person I was in the locker room and it was just him and me, and [then-general manager] Ron Wolf walks by. They had just won the Super Bowl the year before, and Ron -- in all seriousness, no joking -- asked Brett what this team needed to get back there. And without missing a beat, Favre goes, 'You know what we could really use is a water softener in the showers.' It kind of set the tone for that guy.

"Then personally, I missed that game-winning kick in Philly [in 1997] as a rookie and on the plane ride back, he comes up to me and says, 'You're just so lucky to have this opportunity so early in your career because a lot of guys don't get the chance in Week 2 to bounce back and have this behind them forever. You're so lucky that you can come back next week and make all of your kicks and this thing is over.' I'm thinking, 'Lucky? No way.' It kind of gave me a perspective."
John Steinbeck

Offline famousdayandyear

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2015, 02:11:47 pm »
Thank you for the amazing video of Favre's debut.  Wow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jydD7-ORNZ0

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2015, 03:04:21 pm »
67,000 tickets sold for the Packers' stadium celebration.

....to watch it on closed circuit TV!

Now that's dedication, IMO!    :beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Lando Lincoln

John Steinbeck

Offline famousdayandyear

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2015, 06:43:07 pm »
Really great documentary.  Thanks for posting.  As a girly-girl (albeit an old girly-girl who grew up in the South with brothers and a sports/military family), I love sports and stories of simple men who perform extraordinary deeds--famous or unsung.

I love Bret Farve--and hope he is living the good life (maybe in Mississippi).
Wish the induction were livestreamed, or something.  Thanks again, Lando.

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2015, 07:01:20 pm »
Really great documentary.  Thanks for posting.  As a girly-girl (albeit an old girly-girl who grew up in the South with brothers and a sports/military family), I love sports and stories of simple men who perform extraordinary deeds--famous or unsung.

I love Bret Farve--and hope he is living the good life (maybe in Mississippi).
Wish the induction were livestreamed, or something.  Thanks again, Lando.

It will be on the NFL Network live at 7:00pm CDT.  Hope you have access.
John Steinbeck

Offline famousdayandyear

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2015, 05:29:49 am »
Found place with NFL Network.  (No cable at house.)  Watched Favre at Lambeau and he seemed truly humbled by the fans' reactions.  Also, gave my friend in SC a heads up.  He's a long time Packer fan, so he appreciated the info.  Thx from both of us who prefer the cold weather (no dome) teams.

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2015, 12:23:41 pm »
Thanks famous.  Glad you connected with the event. It was all Brett Favre, wasn't it?  Here's a clip that was prepared for last night's events.

http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/Brett_Favres_career_highlights/dd1c1609-86f2-451f-bfc2-1e83dc553e05
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 12:48:24 pm by Lando Lincoln »
John Steinbeck

Offline famousdayandyear

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2015, 05:28:37 pm »
Am on a Brett Favre marathon.  The hits keep on coming.

I was trying to imagine Favre fussing about the pressure in his balls, like another winning QB we know who wears a prissy beanie.

Bet that never crossed Favre's mind. 

Great films.  Hope there is a DVD someday from the Packers.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2015, 01:57:29 am »
How quickly the Packers fans forgot:

« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 02:08:56 am by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2015, 02:34:43 am »

For most, the correct word is heal.
John Steinbeck

Offline famousdayandyear

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2015, 02:39:35 am »

Would you clarify, because I may misunderstand.  Is your comment directed to the character of Brett Favre, or to the Green Bay fans?  Thanks in advance.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2015, 02:47:34 am »
Would you clarify, because I may misunderstand.  Is your comment directed to the character of Brett Favre, or to the Green Bay fans?  Thanks in advance.
We're talking about Packers fans who are treating this guy like a hero, when just five years ago he turned his back on the team and, publicly, expressed his desire to play for, of all teams, the loathsome Viqueens (it took two trades, one through a team in another conference, but he got his wish).
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline famousdayandyear

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2015, 02:58:02 am »
We're talking about Packers fans who are treating this guy like a hero, when just five years ago he turned his back on the team and, publicly, expressed his desire to play for, of all teams, the loathsome Viqueens (it took two trades, one through a team in another conference, but he got his wish).

Aaron Rodgers has been the starting QB for the packers since 2008, covering for an injured Favre.  That's seven years ago.  Your comments are
shown now to be directed at Favre.  So let it be.  We get your point.

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2015, 03:54:21 am »
70,000 fans filled a stadium for hours to see a retired player "come home". Special, regardless of how anyone wishes to color it.
John Steinbeck

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2015, 11:24:58 am »
Not really an avid spots guy but Favre just never seemed to quit, even when he was really behind which was rare, he just kept fighting.