Author Topic: Obama Not Waiting for Congress to Review Iran Deal Before Going to UN  (Read 892 times)

rangerrebew

Obama Not Waiting for Congress to Review Iran Deal Before Going to UN

By Patrick Goodenough | July 15, 2015 | 5:03 AM EDT

(CNSNews.com) – Despite a legal obligation to allow Congress to review the Iran nuclear agreement for 60 days, the Obama administration will press ahead with a U.N. Security Council resolution enshrining the deal, likely within days.

“We will be introducing a U.N. Security Council resolution perhaps as early as next week,” a senior administration official told reporters in a background conference call from Vienna, hours after the final agreement known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) was announced.

The official said the resolution wording had already been drafted in Vienna, with the U.S. in the lead.

In New York, a diplomat at the U.N. told the Associated Press the U.S. will circulate the draft on Wednesday morning, while back in Vienna, Secretary of State John Kerry said implementation of the agreement with Iran will begin “within 90 days of the U.N. Security Council endorsing the deal.”

Foreign Affairs Committee chairman Rep. Ed Royce (R-Calif.) expressed concern about what he called a “rush to the U.N.” on the part of the administration.

After chairing a hearing Tuesday on the implications of the nuclear deal, Royce said he discussed the matter in a phone call with Deputy Secretary of State Tony Blinken.

“I urged that the Obama administration not seek action at the U.N. Security Council on the agreement before Congress can review it in detail during the legislatively-mandated congressional review period,” Royce said.

The administration is pushing for quick action in the Security Council despite President Obama’s assertions that he welcomes congressional examination of the JCPOA.

“I welcome a robust debate in Congress on this issue and I welcome scrutiny of the details of this agreement,” he said in his Tuesday morning JCPOA announcement.

The 60-day review period mandated by Iran Nuclear Agreement Review Act, signed by Obama in May, can only begin once the administration submits the full text, along with annexes and related material including assessments on compliance and non-proliferation, to Congress.

The House Foreign Affairs Committee and Senate Foreign Relations Committee will then hold hearings on the agreement, and Congress may then vote on a joint resolution approving the agreement, or one rejecting it. It may also take no action, although Senate Foreign Relations Committee chairman Bob Corker (R-Tenn.) indicated Tuesday that a vote could take place in early September.

Should a resolution of disapproval be passed, Obama confirmed on Tuesday that he would veto it – a move that would require two-thirds supermajority to override.

“Precisely because the stakes are so high this is not the time for politics or posturing,” Obama said in comments aimed at a skeptical Congress. “Tough talk from Washington does not solve problems. Hard-nosed diplomacy, leadership that has united the world's major powers offers a more effective way to verify that Iran is not pursuing a nuclear weapon.”

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/patrick-goodenough/obama-not-waiting-congress-review-iran-deal-going-un
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 06:01:47 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline GourmetDan

“I welcome a robust debate in Congress on this issue and I welcome scrutiny of the details of this agreement,” he said in his Tuesday morning JCPOA announcement.

Fools look only at what he says...

Patriots look only at what he does...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

Whether or not this agreement get congressional approval is irrelevant. The damage has been done and Obama and his handler are happy as clams!

The only good thing is that the next president can throw the whole thing out the window if he wants. It has no legal weight!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline flowers

The only good thing is that the next president can throw the whole thing out the window if he wants. It has no legal weight!
I think that is to late to happen. At the rate he is going the next election they will have millions of their new voter base in place. I hope I am wrong. Will Iran wait until January 25th or so to attack the world with their new nuke toys?

Offline Right_in_Virginia

The official said the resolution wording had already been drafted in Vienna, with the U.S. in the lead

I'm not excusing Obama (ever), but this may have been a coordinated effort among all of the P5+1 to neutralize Netanyahu's expected blitz on the US Congress.  None of the signatory countries want this to collapse now.

Whether or not this agreement get congressional approval is irrelevant. The damage has been done and Obama and his handler are happy as clams!  The only good thing is that the next president can throw the whole thing out the window if he wants. It has no legal weight!

It's more complicated if it's a UN resolution.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
It's more complicated if it's a UN resolution.

I guess. If we still want to play that fools game!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

I guess. If we still want to play that fools game!

I'm open, Bigun.  Give me a workable alternative, please.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Can be applied to most politicians but Obama defines this perfectly.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
I'm open, Bigun.  Give me a workable alternative, please.

I've already done that several times! I see no point in repeating myself again.  But, in the end, you will come to realize that I was right.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 12:24:13 am by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Re: Obama Not Waiting for Congress to Review Iran Deal Before Going to UN
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2015, 12:25:55 am »
I've already done that several times! I see no point in repeating myself again.  But, in the end, you will come to realize that I was right.

Taking out the mullahs is a good idea.  Just not "workable".  Anything else up your sleeve?

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2015, 12:32:26 am »
Taking out the mullahs is a good idea.  Just not "workable".  Anything else up your sleeve?

Why is it not workable other than you say so?

In my view all it would take is someone in charge with the WILL to do it. We are in a better position now than ever before! Every country in the region would help!

« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 12:33:43 am by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2015, 01:25:06 am »
Why is it not workable other than you say so?

In my view all it would take is someone in charge with the WILL to do it. We are in a better position now than ever before! Every country in the region would help! 

Okay Bigun. 

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2015, 01:48:34 am »
GourmetDan wrote above:
[[ Fools look only at what he says...
Patriots look only at what he does... ]]

You're gonna have to look pretty hard to find many of the latter in today's Congress.

On the other hand, I can see legions of the former there, without even puttin' my glasses on!