Author Topic: Undercover video shows Planned Parenthood exec discussing organ harvesting  (Read 1034 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/undercover-video-shows-planned-parenthood-exec-discussing-organ-harvesting/2015/07/14/ae330e34-2a4d-11e5-bd33-395c05608059_story.html

An anti-abortion group on Tuesday released an undercover video of an executive at Planned Parenthood sipping red wine while discussing in graphic detail how to abort a fetus to preserve its organs for medical research — and also the costs associated with sharing that tissue with scientists.

The video, filmed by a group called the Center for Medical Progress, threatens to reignite a long-standing debate over the use of fetal tissue harvested through abortions, and could add fuel to efforts seeking to ban abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy.

In a statement, a spokesman for Planned Parenthood said the video misrepresents the organization’s work. Planned Parenthood clinics, with a patient’s permission, may sometimes donate fetal tissue for use in stem-cell research, said the spokesperson, who added that the group’s affiliates, which operate independently, do not profit from these donations.

“At several of our health centers, we help patients who want to donate tissue for scientific research, and we do this just like every other high-quality health care provider does—with full, appropriate consent from patients and under the highest ethical and legal standards,” spokesman Eric Ferrero said. “In some instances, actual costs, such as the cost to transport tissue to leading research centers, are reimbursed, which is standard across the medical field.”

He accused the Center for Medical Progress of mounting a misleading attack, similar to other groups that have tried to mount undercover “stings” targeting Planned Parenthood.

But anti-abortion groups said the video shows that Planned Parenthood is essentially selling fetal organs and that Congress and other authorities should investigate.

Buying and selling human fetal tissue is illegal in the United States. Federal regulations also prohibit anyone from altering the timing or method of an abortion for the sole purpose of later using the tissue in research. Donating the tissue for research, however, is legal with a woman’s consent.

Anti-abortion groups also said the callous nature of the discussion captured on film should tug at viewers’ consciences — particularly when Deborah Nucatola, Planned Parenthood’s senior director of medical research, apparently describes “crushing” the fetus in ways that keep its internal organs intact, and her remarks about researchers’ desire for lungs and livers.

“I’d say a lot of people want liver,” she says in the video posted on the Center for Medical Progress’s Web site, between bites of salad. “And for that reason, most providers will do this case under ultrasound guidance, so they’ll know where they’re putting their forceps.”

She continues: “We’ve been very good at getting heart, lung, liver, because we know that, so I’m not gonna crush that part, I’m gonna basically crush below, I’m gonna crush above, and I’m gonna see if I can get it all intact.”

The group also posted a nearly three-hour version of the video that it’s calling the “full footage.” The activists, whose faces are not shown, press her on price.

“Every provider has patients who want to donate their tissue, and they want to accommodate them,” says Nucatola. “They just want to do it in a way that is not perceived as: This clinic is selling tissue. This clinic is making money off this. In the Planned Parenthood world, they’re very, very sensitive to that. Some affiliates might do it for free. They want to come to a number that looks like a reasonable number for the effort that is allotted on their part...”

One activist asks, “Okay, so, when you are—or when the affiliate is—determining what that monetary...So that it doesn’t raise the question of...‘This is what it’s about...’—What price range would you...?”

“You know, I would throw a number out, I would say it’s probably anywhere from $30 to $100, depending on the facility and what’s involved,” says Nucatola. “It just has to do with space issues, are you sending someone there that’s going to be doing everything...is there shipping involved? Is someone going to be there to pick it up?”

Daleiden said the Center for Medical Progress plans to issue more videos and documents in the coming weeks to support its contention that Planned Parenthood is illegally selling the organs of fetuses. The group, which says it spent three years on the “sting” operation, is a non-profit organization that describes itself on its Web site as “a group of citizen journalists dedicated to monitoring and reporting on medical ethics and advances.”

A number of Republicans reacted Tuesday to the video.

“I am proudly pro-life,” wrote presidential candidate Carly Fiorina on Facebook. “I believe that every human lie has the potential and that every human life is precious. This latest news is tragic and outrageous.”

“This video is beyond disturbing,” said Arizona Sen. John McCain on Twitter.

Daleiden also alleges that the procedure described by Nucatola is similar to “intact dilation and extraction,” referred to by opponents as partial-birth abortion, which Congress outlawed in 2003. The Supreme Court upheld the law’s constitutionality four years later.

Whether the authorities ultimately find illegal activity could ultimately be irrelevant. For years, anti-abortion groups promoted their cause by highlighting the sometimes disturbing details of abortion procedures and painting abortion providers as callous and unethical.

They have argued against allowing abortions later in pregnancy by suggesting that older fetuses can feel pain and are pushing for a federal ban on the procedure at 20 weeks of pregnancy.

The accusation that Planned Parenthood is illegally selling the organs of fetuses is not new among anti-abortion advocates. The controversy gained national attention in 2000, following the publication of an undercover investigation by a Texas-based anti-abortion group, Life Dynamics, which was also involved in the Tuesday release.

The investigation’s conclusion, that a Kansas clinic affiliated with Planned Parenthood was participating in a scheme to profit from the sale of fetal tissues, prompted a 20/20 hidden camera investigation on the subject, and a hearing of the Subcommittee on Health and Environment in the House of Representatives.

The FBI also investigated the Kansas clinic for any wrongdoing, but later concluded that it did not break any laws.

Abby Ohlheiser contributed to this report.

Video at link

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Kemberlee Kaye ‏@KemberleeKaye 50m50 minutes ago

So if I've got this straight, it's totes cool to sell dismembered baby organs, but the baby isn't really a baby. Ok, then.

Offline EdinVA

How heartless can you get..... no feeling, nothing, just money.
Gotta love those liberals....

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://hotair.com/archives/2015/07/14/video-planned-parenthoods-profit-off-of-fetal-body-parts/

Video: Planned Parenthood’s profit off of fetal body parts
posted at 12:01 pm on July 14, 2015 by Ed Morrissey

Live Action today features another exposé of Planned Parenthood, but this time it’s not just one clinic violating state laws on reporting or practices. The Center for Medical Progress conducted an undercover investigation into PP’s operations in sales of fetal body parts, a practice prohibited by federal law, and they went to the executive management of the abortion-mill chain to uncover it. Senior Director of Medical Services Dr. Deborah Nucatola happily discussed the profit off of these sales — over a meal:
Live Action today features another exposé of Planned Parenthood, but this time it’s not just one clinic violating state laws on reporting or practices. The Center for Medical Progress conducted an undercover investigation into PP’s operations in sales of fetal body parts, a practice prohibited by federal law, and they went to the executive management of the abortion-mill chain to uncover it. Senior Director of Medical Services Dr. Deborah Nucatola happily discussed the profit off of these sales — over a meal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjxwVuozMnU
    Nucatola is seen in the video having lunch with actors posing as buyers who are interested in purchasing the body parts of babies how have been aborted. The Planned Parenthood senior staffer notes how abortion procedures are modified to ensure that requested body parts can be collected. She says:

“We’ve been very good at getting heart, lung, liver, because we know that, so I’m not gonna crush that part, I’m gonna basically crush below, I’m gonna crush above, and I’m gonna see if I can get it all intact.”

Nucatola also describes how Planned Parenthood abortionists move the preborn child into a breech delivery position so that the body can be preserved while the brains of the child are removed. This account is an almost exact medical description of partial-birth abortions which are illegal in the United States.

Planned Parenthood, though, appears to be concerned internally about the legality of their own behavior, as Nucatola notes how, “At the national office, we have a Litigation and Law Department which just really doesn’t want us to be the middle people for this issue right now.”

The price that the so-called “products of conception” fetch can run from $30 to $100 per specimen, according to Nucatola. That means that Planned Parenthood profits from killing babies by charging the patients, and then from harvesting their corpses by selling them. “A lot of people want liver,” Nucatola tells the undercover investigator, so Planned Parenthood trains its people to use the forceps to leave the abdomen intact. They even maneuver the baby into the breech position, using ultrasound, in order to facilitate their gruesome harvest.

Remind me again why the federal government funds these ghouls? And be sure to wake me when the Obama administration orders an investigation into Planned Parenthood’s systemic and organized criminal conduct. Nucatola even describes how they subvert the law and use the kind of “buffers” one usually sees in organized crime to keep the bosses safe. In any other administration, this would prompt a RICO investigation — and it should.

Update: This tweet from our good friend at Popehat is worth noting:

Jazz Shaw @JazzShaw

Planned Parenthood's profit off of fetal body parts http://hotair.com/?p=3869767  How is this not a RICO case? http://hotair.com/archives/2015/07/14/video-planned-parenthoods-profit-off-of-fetal-body-parts/

Follow

Popehat @Popehat

@JazzShaw "RICO" doesn't mean "wrong" or "bad" or "criminal" or "evil."
    11:03 AM - 14 Jul 2015 · Pasadena, CA, United States

4 4 Retweets

Certainly, that’s true. There are lots of criminal and evil acts that don’t fall under the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organization law, which allows the government to prosecute higher-ups in an organized effort to commit crimes even when one cannot directly link the leaders to the acts. This case, however, seems to fit pretty neatly into RICO (at least as used by the government in other contexts), considering the efforts of top officials to use affiliates as buffers to hide the parent organization’s involvement in federal felonies. In fact, the scheme Nucatola describes seems like a classic RICO construct. I’d be interested in hearing how RICO wouldn’t apply, and of course I’d be happy to post that information, too.

Update: My opening lead left the impression that Live Action took part in this investigation, but they are just featuring and promoting CMP’s work. I’ve adjusted the language to make that a little more clear. Also, some are noting that the video starts off with footage from a 2000 CBS News story, but this video just went up this morning. The domain name for the website shown in the video, Stemexpress.com, was first registered in 2010 to StemExpress in Placerville, California. It was updated in June to extend the registration through the end of 2020 through GoDaddy.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34