Author Topic: Sanders' independent status could pose issue in NH primary  (Read 359 times)

Offline Paladin

Sanders' independent status could pose issue in NH primary
« on: July 13, 2015, 05:55:27 am »
I've kinda wondered about this myself. Yeah, I know Bernie caucuses with the Dems and everybody knows that underneath the "independent" cover he's really a hard left Democrat, but still there are legal ramifications to his public declarations of independence.

CONCORD, N.H. (AP) — From his run for mayor of Burlington to numerous campaigns for Congress, Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders has for more than three decades eschewed traditional party labels in his pursuit of political office, winning election after election as an independent.

As he seeks the presidency as a Democrat, that unwillingness to be pigeonholed could be a liability in New Hampshire. To get on the ballot in the first-in-the-nation primary state, candidates must fill out paperwork that requires them to identify as a registered member of a political party.

"I don't know if it will be a problem," New Hampshire Secretary of State Bill Gardner said when asked whether Sanders' independent status could keep him off the ballot.

New Hampshire officials won't take up a case against Sanders without a complaint, Gardner said. A formal challenge to Sanders' eligibility would likely make its way to the state's Ballot Law Commission, the arbiter of such questions. Former Republican U.S. Rep. Charlie Bass raised the issue of Sanders' eligibility in a recent Washington Post opinion piece.

"In short, Sanders is not a Democrat, has not been elected as a Democrat, has never served as a Democrat and cannot plausibly claim, at least in New Hampshire, to be a Democrat," Bass wrote.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20150711/us--dem_2016-sanders-new_hampshire-766b35985d.html
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Sanders' independent status could pose issue in NH primary
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 02:27:53 am »
Well, let the dems push this.

It might just convince Bernie to run as an independent candidate.

Perhaps he'll ask Ralph Nader to run with him as his V.P. !